NBA: ***Official 2019 NBA Playoffs Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Boogie won't be there, they're going to have to put a huge load on Curry to make the playoffs. Think back to how hard the Clips pushed Golden St in round one, there's not a huge difference between the second best team in the West and the 10th best.

I think it just depends on how free agency shakes out. There could be a pretty big influx of talent moving west, and if that happens it's going to make the path to a playoff spot that much more difficult. At any rate they won't have the luxury of coasting through the regular season. But if KD re-ups and he and Klay can get back late in the regular season (I know it's a long shot for KD, but you never know), that is one dangerous seven or eight seed.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
No asterisk, that's ridiculous .
Oh I'm not saying there is an asterisk but I've already seen and heard people use that term. Sure it could've been different, but you have to play with the cards you're dealt.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not to mention numerous others throughout the years/decades.
Yeah, the asterisk talk has come up for numerous championship teams in different sports, and the end result is basically the same. Very few people remember the "asterisk" that some folks want to attach. A championship is not diminished at all in the long term. Or even the short term. Look at the Warriors Championship over Cleveland that people have been referencing. Very few people view it as anything other than a legitimate championship. That's how history will look at the raptors as well, as a champion. All of this other fluff will fall away.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So Golden St gets an asterisk by all three of its titles for facing a depleted Cavs team in '15, the Kawhi injury in '17 and the CP3 injury with Houston up 3-2 in '18?
I never said there was an asterisk, it's part of the game. I said that many people will definitely talk about that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Awful to see. Wouldn’t ever cheer for injuries like certain fanbases do.

Yikes, don't look through the CyHawk thread then.

Cyclone fans in there talking about how they enjoyed seeing Drew Tate get injured in the 2005 game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yikes, don't look through the CyHawk thread then.

Cyclone fans in there talking about how they enjoyed seeing Drew Tate get injured in the 2005 game.
I would've loved to have seen us beat Iowa with a fully healthy Drew Tate. I thought he was a diva. But when you lower your head on a tackle to bring down a safety after throwing an interception, you get what you get.

Reactions: Peter

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
So by calling for a TO they didn't have Draymond picked up his seventh technical foul of the postseason. Does that mean he has to sit out the team's season opener next year?

Reactions: isutrevman

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
You don't think there were lots of ISU fans cheering when that happened?

I didn't see that on TV. Iowa fans would still be bringing it up if our stadium was cheering Tate got hurt.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not going to sit here and say Toronto didn't deserve to win because of injuries - but I would have loved to see these teams match up at full strength. Its a damn shame because would have been a greater series than it already was. Kawhi was Kawhi, FVV is the kid you hate, but wish was on your team - and Thompson was unbelievable this series.

I'd have loved to see GSW if they had a month or two to get used to playing without Durant.

If they're at full strength with four all stars and a finals MVP it's just a matter of if they are focused which is boring.

For those saying asterisk...

The only two asterisks I have in 30+ years of watching these playoffs are the year Spurs took a title away from Phoenix by being rewarded for trying to injure the MVP when the game was over, and the year the officials pretty obviously rigged the WCF against the Kings for the Lakers. Those are two cases where the best team wasn't in the finals and the champion was able to advance without outplaying all of their opponents on the court.

If I had to give another it would be Dwayne Wade's 97 foul shots in 6 games. It wasn't as bad as Kings-Lakers but it was pretty bad. I'm not positive Dallas was the better team though where Phoenix and Sacramento definitely outplayed the eventual champ.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
What a gutsy effort by the Warriors after Klay went out. Pretty fun fourth quarter to watch and they go the shot they wanted with Curry at the end. I don't think they would have won in Toronto without Klay but it would have been fun to have a game 7.

Really cool that Nurse won and cool that Canada got its first championship. It is going to be a crazy offseason and will be interesting to see where everyone ends up.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter and CTTB78

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So by calling for a TO they didn't have Draymond picked up his seventh technical foul of the postseason. Does that mean he has to sit out the team's season opener next year?
No. While calling timeout when you don't have one is a technical foul, it doesn't count toward his total. Sort of like a technical for illegal defense wouldn't have counted either