INSIDER: What I know about Rasir Bolton waiver timeline

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
The issue i have with the NCAA denying Luke Ford is he transferred to the closest possible D1 program to his sick grandfather. He tried to get as close as he could, not his fault that he misses their arbitrary distance rule by 90 miles.

Also, if he takes a year off he loses a year of eligibility since his 5 to play 4 clock has started.

Life isn't fair and sometimes choices must be made. A 3 hour drive/travel each way (flights take time too) is not feasible during basketball season with practices, games, and travel. Even if he has someone drive him to and from school/home so he can study, it's likely not going to happen too much during the season or while practices are happening. It is better for him to either have the year off or play closer to home in a different division. There are other factors that get considered I'm sure in making the decision, but the 100 mile rule has a good reason for existing.

• Disagree
Reactions: alarson

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Once you get farther away than 3-4 hours of drive or you get into rural areas without anything nearby, flights become more feasible and being "closer" stops nattering as much to overall travel time.

If he is moving schools to be closer geographically, but the travel time is still going to be prohibitive to the student actually being able to visit the sick relative during the season it's pointless.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Once you get farther away than 3-4 hours of drive or you get into rural areas without anything nearby, flights become more feasible and being "closer" stops nattering as much to overall travel time.

If he is moving schools to be closer geographically, but the travel time is still going to be prohibitive to the student actually being able to visit the sick relative during the season it's pointless.

I get your point but, there is a lot of grey in that area. There is a big difference needing playing at a school that you can drive 3-4 hours to see an ailing parent with short notice rather than need to get a flight from Florida land and then still need to drive 3-4 hours to get to see them.
Every case should be handled individually rather than stating it needs to be in a certain arbitrary radius (100 mi).

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
The issue i have with the NCAA denying Luke Ford is he transferred to the closest possible D1 program to his sick grandfather. He tried to get as close as he could, not his fault that he misses their arbitrary distance rule by 90 miles.

Also, if he takes a year off he loses a year of eligibility since his 5 to play 4 clock has started.
Like I said, I bet the NCAA views it as, "If you want to be close to your sick grandpa, you could transfer to Southern Illinois and be 10 minutes away." If no school Division 1 FBS or FCS school was in that 100 mile range and Illinois was the closest, I'd wager he'd get his waiver. But when there is an option, while a step down to FCS, I'm guessing that is how the NCAA views it.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Ames to Waterloo is 99 miles, I wouldn't call that "close"

Really? It's about an 80 minute drive if you move along good on the roads. Getting done with practice at 5:00 and being able to visit family by 6:20 at supper time doesn't seem very far off to me. Visit for 2 hours, leave at 8:20, and you are home by 9:40. I know they have practice and a lot going on, but this seems like a short enough drive that I would consider it "close" to a family member that is ill.

I used to make a similar drive in college to help with field work - leave Ames at 2:00 when I was done with class for the day, be home by 3:30 to work, work until 11, be back to Ames by 12:30.

I wouldn't want a "commute" like that permanently but it's not terrible on a short term basis.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I get your point but, there is a lot of grey in that area. There is a big difference needing playing at a school that you can drive 3-4 hours to see an ailing parent with short notice rather than need to get a flight from Florida land and then still need to drive 3-4 hours to get to see them.
Every case should be handled individually rather than stating it needs to be in a certain arbitrary radius (100 mi).

That's part of the point of the rule though. If someone has a relative in a situation where getting to them ASAP is important and that is so important to them they are changing schools to make that possible, they need to be able to do that quickly. That is going to be difficult if they are outside a relatively small range of travel. They won't have much time to visit unless they are pretty close and emergency situations during the season will be difficult if they are travelling with the team anyways. If it's worth them moving schools to be closer, it either should be close enough to viably visit frequently while playing or be worth the sacrifice of not playing to be able to make getting to them often/quickly more viable.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Really? It's about an 80 minute drive if you move along good on the roads. Getting done with practice at 5:00 and being able to visit family by 6:20 at supper time doesn't seem very far off to me. Visit for 2 hours, leave at 8:20, and you are home by 9:40. I know they have practice and a lot going on, but this seems like a short enough drive that I would consider it "close" to a family member that is ill.

I used to make a similar drive in college to help with field work - leave Ames at 2:00 when I was done with class for the day, be home by 3:30 to work, work until 11, be back to Ames by 12:30.

I wouldn't want a "commute" like that permanently but it's not terrible on a short term basis.
I did that except I was working 3rd shift in Marshalltown while taking full time engineering. I felt dead.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering

I think that's why there is a way to apply for exceptions. 90 miles in Iowa is going to be easier/faster than some less rural areas. Gotta draw a line somewhere though.

It gets complicated by away games as well during the season.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Another example of the ncaa screwing over a student athlete. Another reason I’m not penciling Bolton into the 2019-20 lineup until it’s official.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron