Give me your most unpopular take about Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The Busch Light thing is dumb. I drank 97% Busch Light at ISU, and probably have drank a total of 2 cases since graduating 15 years ago.

But it's dumb. The only reason people would ever drink that beer is that it's cheap.

I did enjoy the whole Dilly Dilly thing while it lasted. Which is incidentally not a Busch Light thing.

The Dilly Dilly thing worked because it didn’t drag out too long.

I remember laughing while walking out of the TCU game and hearing people shouting “Dilly Dilly!”

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Winner. They're getting a premium by making it exclusively available in certain areas. If they open it up, people won't pay extra for the club seats.

You also have to factor in that you have to pay extra workers and set up a ton of vending areas to sell the beer. That cuts into the profits And you're going to have constant complaints about how long the beer lines are. Overall the hassle to sell stadium wide might not be worth the net profit in JPs eyes.

People are loaded enough coming into the stadium and so many still smuggle beers in anyways. I've always treated game time as my opportunity to sober up and enjoy the game. I don't need to spend a ton of money on extremely overpriced beer.

They had JP on KXNO a couple years ago and the beer revenue isn't nearly what you would think it would be especially once you factor in the overhead.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The vast majority of our fans are the worst. I couldn't assemble a bigger group of nerds and virgins with less people skills if my life depended on it. Throw in the grouchy small town old people and it's really bad.

This is why I go to exactly one football and men's bb game a year and as many road games as I can.

Unpopular enough?

Lol this is true.

Would it kill some of you guys to work something non-ISU into the wardrobe? Every day in central Iowa, you could convince me there’s an Iowa-Iowa State game about to kick off with the amount of gear being worn. To be fair, the south is even worse about this.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
It's possible for Fred Hoiberg to take another coaching job in college basketball at a place that is paying him a lot of money and that he has some family ties to without it meaning that he secretly hates Iowa State and Ames and hated being a Cyclone athlete, or whatever other idiotic drivel Cyclone fans use to justify their own paranoia and insecurity complex.

merx

Sep 6, 2011
Kalispell, MT
My unpopular take: That field goal for Oklahoma State back in 2011 should have been good.

On a similar note, our field goal vs Alabama in the Independence bowl was also good.

The field goal against Alabama was good. Yelk was forced to talk about the field goal every Sunday brunch at Gateway for the next two years, while running the flambe cart. Also that was the last time and only time Iowa State was on Alabama's level for football.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
ISU fans can't show up on time to any sporting events, the stands are almost always more than 10% empty at kick/tip off

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Take 1 - It's a joke that Ejim's jersey isn't hanging in the rafters.

Take 2 - Red on red football uniforms are ugly.

Got to wait 10 years for that jersey to hang, so not a joke, just impossible.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
If it hadn't been for Gene Chizik's recruiting, Paul Rhoads would go down as the worst hire in modern Iowa State history.
Chizik's couple years of recruiting and Tom Herman's OCing lead him to the upset of #2 OSU and if that doesn't happen he may be the worst hire at ISU ever past and future after Campbell*.

*After Campbell retires at age 75 after coaching in the National Title game and bringing the Trophy home to Cyclone Fanatic Field at Trice-Campbell Stadium for the 10th time.

Who knows who AD Chris Williams Jr will hire after that...but it won't be worse than Rhoads.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Would it kill some of you guys to work something non-ISU into the wardrobe?

This is bad, and you should feel bad (but a helluva good unpopular take).

My own unpopular take(s)...
  • Tertiary Blue was a solid accent color. We should bring it back as an all-blue alternate, an homage to Mac - blue helmet, jersey, pant, sock, shoe + cardinal & gold lettering/logos
  • I liked Wayne Morgan more than Larry Eustachy.
  • Darude's "Sandstorm" is the only entrance music any sports team needs.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: crawfy54

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
They had JP on KXNO a couple years ago and the beer revenue isn't nearly what you would think it would be especially once you factor in the overhead.

I think I remember the same interview. You have to hire many more vendors, ones old enough to sell beer specifically, you have to add more areas for the vendors to set up, you likely need extra security for added complaints due to people continuing to get drunk during the game.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

• Navy Blue of the 90s was a solid accent color. We should bring it back as an all-navy alternate, an homage to Mac - navy helmet, jersey, pant, sock, shoe + cardinal & gold lettering/logos

I have a mint conditioned Navy pull over wind breaker that probably needs to be worked into the game day attire.

• Winner
Reactions: GetAwesome

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think I remember the same interview. You have to hire many more vendors, ones old enough to sell beer specifically, you have to add more areas for the vendors to set up, you likely need extra security for added complaints due to people continuing to get drunk during the game.

The installation and maintenance costs of the beer systems is really high too.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

• Tertiary Blue was a solid accent color. We should bring it back as an all-blue alternate, an homage to Mac - blue helmet, jersey, pant, sock, shoe + cardinal & gold lettering/logos

Puke...

• Friendly
Reactions: GetAwesome