INSIDER: What I know about Rasir Bolton waiver timeline

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
You want to know why they got waivers? Because they NCAA doesn't want to test their transfer rules in court. Want a guaranteed waiver? Right now hire a lawyer.

Make sure you hire the right lawyer.

Luke Ford did and his was denied

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I haven't heard. Only have heard from the dad say Penn State has been very helpful during the waiver process. That's why I think the waiver is from abusive coach stuff they don't want aired in the public.
Then why did they retain him? Beyond “We are...Penn State”?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I see Bolton is at ISU. The mbb Instagram account posted a pic of him at the kids camp today

Excited to see how he looks in cap city

Looking at MBB's Instagram story I notice the only entry currently is an image of proof of Rasir's presence in Ames. Thanks goodness the MBB team actively tracks this forum to immediately quell concern! Keep up the good work, Athletic Dept Social Media Interns.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclonepride

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Seems kind of an arbitrary number. Wasn't he like 106 miles or something?
The Coastal Carolina kid with the mom with brain cancer was 106 miles away from his mother when transferring to VT. Notable in their case that VT did not want to work with the Tate Martell lawyer and the family did. I would imagine they might have been able to press that issue and got through.

This Illinois kid is 190 miles away from his grandpa. Close to double. 100 miles seems arbitrary but I guess you need to make a cutoff somewhere. I'd imagine the NCAA has some sort of map and can see where all the schools are with 100 mile bubbles. I would imagine the NCAA stance is, if you are moving to be closer to sick relative who lives in Carterville, you could transfer to Southern Illinois and only be 10 minutes away/10 miles away.

Not defending the NCAA but I'd wager that is their thought process.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I support the current 100 mile rule. If you move to be closer to a seriously ill relative, you should be making time to spend with them. Being more than an hour and a half drive from them would require a lot of drive time to and from to see them frequently. Difficult to do during the season. Better the player have the year off to actually be able to spend time with their family if that is the true reason for the transfer.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I support the current 100 mile rule. If you move to be closer to a seriously ill relative, you should be making time to spend with them. Being more than an hour and a half drive from them would require a lot of drive time to and from to see them frequently. Difficult to do during the season. Better the player have the year off to actually be able to spend time with their family if that is the true reason for the transfer.

The issue i have with the NCAA denying Luke Ford is he transferred to the closest possible D1 program to his sick grandfather. He tried to get as close as he could, not his fault that he misses their arbitrary distance rule by 90 miles.

Also, if he takes a year off he loses a year of eligibility since his 5 to play 4 clock has started.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The issue i have with the NCAA denying Luke Ford is he transferred to the closest possible D1 program to his sick grandfather. He tried to get as close as he could, not his fault that he misses their arbitrary distance rule by 90 miles.

Also, if he takes a year off he loses a year of eligibility since his 5 to play 4 clock has started.
Yeah, 100 miles is all fine and good for pretty much anyone near the Missouri river and eastward and eastern Texas east, but what about the kid that is from rural Montana, western Dakotas or northeastern Wyoming? Not a lot of Div 1 schools in a hell of a lot of territory up there.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah, 100 miles is all fine and good for pretty much anyone near the Missouri river and eastward and eastern Texas east, but what about the kid that is from rural Montana, western Dakotas or northeastern Wyoming? Not a lot of Div 1 schools in a hell of a lot of territory up there.

You would think "good faith as close as I could given the circumstances" might be an excuse there. Or they might tell somebody to go to a Division II school then.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron