Give me your most unpopular take about Iowa State

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Are you a realist about Softball, M&W golf, M&W T&F, M&W CC, Swimming/Diving, and Soccer to the point of having to bash them at all opportunites? Because that's how you come across about wrestling. Taking every opportunity to bash the program. It gets old.

Nobody is arguing that it deserves top billing. Literally nobody. The realistic place for it at ISU is 3rd or 4th. The argument for placing it 3rd ahead of WBB would be that we are much more likely to be contending for team trophies/national championships in wrestling than WBB and the fan support being similar.

Nobody pushes those like wrestling fans do.
Nothing wrong with being a fan of a niche sport. Just call it what it really is and enjoy it.

Reactions: Mr Janny
L

LincolnWay187

Busch Light is just fine for a cheap beer. But the fan base's hard on for bragging how much they drink of it or how much it represents them is super cringey (i.e. all the social media stuff at the Alamo Bowl)
Lets be honest, there is a ringleader around this running joke....its CW. Busch lite can go away.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That’s where I’m at. I’ve made my share of halftime trips, but really? You’re that desperate for a beer? Especially pathetic when the game is close/important.

The time is now for JP to switch the policy. With a good product on the team people aren't going to quit donating because they can't leave to have a beer.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Concessions inside Jack Trice and Hilton are perfectly fine. More options would just mean longer lines and more problems. (ducks and runs like hell)

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
The story of Jack Trice is not that special.

In all seriousness, I'm actually a fan of brutalist architecture, such as Carver Hall. I love all styles of architecture that are specific to different eras.
I appreciate brutalism too, but Carver is brutalism lite at best.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That does have a lot to do with it but the decline of Campus Town started several years ago. The buildup of West Ames has a lot to do with it too. Prior to Uber it was damn near impossible to get from Welch to West Ames without a DD or walking.

This just kinda sounds like "it was better in my day" talk. Campustown is a lot cleaner and "nicer" than I was living in Ames (2003-2008) and there are more/better food options. There's about the same amount of bars, and a lot of them have been spruced up since my day.

Other than the (massive) loss of People's, I'd have a hard time calling it a decline.

That said, something needs to fill the void left by People's. Ames needs a music venue like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Frak

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Also, comparing Ames to Madison is really, really stupid. Madison is the state capitol and has a metro area of 650,000 people. So literally 10x the size of Ames.

Compare Ames to Manhattan, Stillwater, Norman, West Lafayette, etc. Don't compare it to a city that it has almost nothing in common with.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
People in Iowa care so much about basketball. You’re right. And our state is just oozing with D1 football talent. Probably because football is just a part of Iowa culture. I’m silly for being a fan of such a fringe, unheard of, barbaric sport such as wrestling. Football is growing at such a rate, there are even girls teams popping up all over the country.

tenor.gif

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Preventing alcohol sales in the stadium contributes to the high quality of our tailgate scene, and is the real reason Pollard refuses to allow it.

ISU tailgating is what keeps people showing up in the lean years.

• Agree
Reactions: benman82