Give me your most unpopular take about Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
That does have a lot to do with it but the decline of Campus Town started several years ago. The buildup of West Ames has a lot to do with it too. Prior to Uber it was damn near impossible to get from Welch to West Ames without a DD or walking.

its called finding a philly that lives in campustown to spend the night with. gave us westers a nightly goal

• Funny
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Growing from 1% to 2% still means no one gives a ****.
People in Iowa care so much about basketball. You’re right. And our state is just oozing with D1 football talent. Probably because football is just a part of Iowa culture. I’m silly for being a fan of such a fringe, unheard of, barbaric sport such as wrestling. Football is growing at such a rate, there are even girls teams popping up all over the country.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Jamie Pollard is an attention wh0re. A good AD but inserts himself into the spotlight way more than is appropriate

This could be the only take I've strongly disagreed with so far.

Maybe a sign of how far we've come though.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Was in Madison, WI over the weekend. Yeah ISU's campus town is a dingleberry on the tail of dog. There street system is a freaking nightmare compared to Ames though!!

7-8 years ago I spent a few weekends in both Madison and South Bend to help with my wife's business. Those campus towns are on extreme opposite ends of the spectrum. I was pretty shocked that Notre Dame's campus town is virtually nothing and their downtown restaurant/bar scene isn't that different than downtown Ames.

We're closer to Notre Dame than Madison for sure in campus town options, but I was pretty shocked that Notre Dame didn't have some bustling campus town given the amount of nation wide bandwagon fans they must have coming through to spend their $$$.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I no longer care about Royce White. I wish him success, but the trials and tribulations of his career are pretty tedious at this point.

His schtick is like the friend that went through some **** that you tried helping at first but then realized over time they're ultimately refusing to help themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: MNCYWX

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
7-8 years ago I spent a few weekends in both Madison and South Bend to help with my wife's business. Those campus towns are on extreme opposite ends of the spectrum. I was pretty shocked that Notre Dame's campus town is virtually nothing and their downtown restaurant/bar scene isn't that different than downtown Ames.

We're closer to Notre Dame than Madison for sure in campus town options, but I was pretty shocked that Notre Dame didn't have some bustling campus town given the amount of nation wide bandwagon fans they must have coming through to spend their $$$.
Can confirm this. South Bend is a total dump and from what I remember there really isnt a campustown area for Notre Dame. You essentially have to go to downtown South Bend, which as I previously mentioned, blows goats.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Their bandwagon fans are like tavernhawks. Cheer at the TV but never been/go there.

• Winner
Reactions: ISU22CY

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Fred Hoiberg is only the 5th best coach in the Iowa State basketball modern era.

My ranking:

1. Larry Eustachy
2. Johnny Orr
3. Steve Prohm
4. Tim Floyd
5. Fred Hoiberg
6. Wayne Morgan
7. Greg McDermott
I'm actually having a harder time attacking this than I thought I would.....

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Are you a realist about Softball, M&W golf, M&W T&F, M&W CC, Swimming/Diving, and Soccer to the point of having to bash them at all opportunites? Because that's how you come across about wrestling. Taking every opportunity to bash the program. It gets old.

Nobody is arguing that it deserves top billing. Literally nobody. The realistic place for it at ISU is 3rd or 4th. The argument for placing it 3rd ahead of WBB would be that we are much more likely to be contending for team trophies/national championships in wrestling than WBB and the fan support being similar.
Taking every opportunity? This is a hot take thread. That's the entire reason for its existence. Outside of this thread, go look for the last time I posted anything negative about wrestling. If there's anything more recent than a couple years ago, I would be shocked. I post about it at roughly the same rate as I do the other sports you mentioned, because it's much closer in worth to those sports than it is to football or basketball.
Give me a break, man. I don't think you are grasping the concept of what this thread is about.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
The story of Jack Trice is not that special.

In all seriousness, I'm actually a fan of brutalist architecture, such as Carver Hall. I love all styles of architecture that are specific to different eras.

Just curious. When I attended school ISU was one of only two major universities (I do not know the name of the other) to still be following a master architectural plan. Is that still the case? And, of course, since I'm from the Jurassic era, I'm not sure there's any land left to follow 'the plan'.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Taking every opportunity? This is a hot take thread. That's the entire reason for its existence. Outside of this thread, go look for the last time I posted anything negative about wrestling. If there's anything more recent than a couple years ago, I would be shocked. I post about it at roughly the same rate as I do the other sports you mentioned, because it's much closer in worth to those sports than it is to football or basketball.
Give me a break, man. I don't think you are grasping the concept of what this thread is about.
One thing that is obviously not a hot take (as proven in this thread): ISU wrestling fans are snowflakes.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

As a pretty serious former wrestler/coach who understands the sport very well...I totally get why some tune it out and think it's niche or a weird thing as an Iowa tradition.

But the recent elevation of UFC to a major mass market sport is somewhat changing that. If there was any type of swimming related sport that was as commercially viable as UFC I'd say the same about swimming for example, there just isn't. It's not like UFC and wrestling are the same thing but a good 40-50% of the skill sets are shared and the fighters with wrestling backgrounds can sometimes stand out a mile away in certain situations compared to those who are just strikers.

25 years ago almost zero, maybe exactly zero, college wrestlers were famous pro athletes. Now many dozens of American college wrestlers are famous pro athletes around the globe. Love or hate UFC, love or hate college wrestling, that is something that has changed.