Give me your most unpopular take about Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
If it weren't for Iowa state athletics I probably wouldn't give a flying flip about sports.

Also you all are a bunch of freaking cry babies.

Also, we aren't that good in bball even though a lot of fans like to hang their hat on it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Johnny Orr rightfully gets credit for injecting life into the program, but wasn't that great of a coach. I think the last few years of his tenure, Hallihan actually did more of the coaching anyway.

Orr was lucky he coached in the 80s when no one saw the road games because they weren't on local tv. He had a solid home record, hence hilton magic, but his road record was pretty poor. Different eras.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
The wrestling program (and wrestling programs everywhere) raises hundreds of thousands of dollars independent of the athletic department. Wrestling is actually a growing sport nationally. Comparing it to T&F and CC is laughable. The only people who attend soccer matches or softball games are family members and roommates.

Janny, did a wrestler stuff you in a locker back in high school or something?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The wrestling program (and wrestling programs everywhere) raises hundreds of thousands of dollars independent of the athletic department. Wrestling is actually a growing sport nationally. Comparing it to T&F and CC is laughable. The only people who attend soccer matches or softball games are family members and roommates.

Janny's school only had about two wrestlers on it's team if it hadn't combined with another by then so I doubt that happened.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Believe it or not I actually like the sport. Wrestled myself in school, used to do radio play by play for high school wrestling, have attended the NCAA championship tournament on multiple occasions.
I think it's a great sport. I just a realist about it, and it's place in the hierarchy of collegiate athletics.

• Winner
Reactions: RezClone