Give me your most unpopular take about Iowa State

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
All sports at all schools outside of football, MBB, and at a couple schools, WBB lose money. What’s your point? That no sports other than profitable ones matter?

Those other sports give opportunities to young men and women that a lot wouldn’t get otherwise, the provide eyeballs and interest in the programs which extends to the university as a whole. But most importantly, they all represent the institution we all love, so I will never talk bad about or look down on any of programs we offer. And shame on anyone who does.
The number of eyeballs provided by the wrestling program amount to little more than a fart in the wind compared to revenue generating sports.
Trumpeting a successful wrestling program is like bragging about having an excellent custodial staff. Good for you. I'm sure they work hard. But in the grand scheme of things, it's only a tiny feather in your cap.

And there's no such thing as a "wrestling tradition" in this day and age. Not on the collegiate level. Hanging your hat on past success in a niche sport is a quick way to let everyone know that you don't have a lot going for you. It's like going to a strip club still wearing your work uniform from McDonald's.

(Am I getting closer @Doc ?)

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Hawkeye fans have feelings too Janny
No they don't. They're just NPCs who go about their daily routines, scratching and rutting and following their programming. They don't even bleed when you cut them. They just ooze taffy.

(To be clear, this is a hot take thread. I've never actually cut a Hawkeye fan. Mostly because of the smell. Also I'm afraid their fandom might spread via contact with bodily fluids.)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The number of eyeballs provided by the wrestling program amount to little more than a fart in the wind compared to revenue generating sports.
Trumpeting a successful wrestling program is like bragging about having an excellent custodial staff. Good for you. I'm sure they work hard. But in the grand scheme of things, it's only a tiny feather in your cap.

And there's no such thing as a "wrestling tradition" in this day and age. Not on the collegiate level. Hanging your hat on past success in a niche sport is a quick way to let everyone know that you don't have a lot going for you. It's like going to a strip club still wearing your work uniform from McDonald's.

(Am I getting closer @Doc ?)

I have never seen a stripper in a McDonalds uniform, but if she handed out cheeseburgers during her show, she would probably get a good crowd.

Reactions: Doc

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I respect the University of Iowa as an institution. Because beating a team you respect means more, and losing to them hurts less. That doesn't mean I like them, more:
08866723.jpg

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
The secondary Cy logo sucks, but not as much as the bugle. Our Athletic Dept could do a whole lot better in that area.

The Iowa game is meaningless outside of bragging rights, pride and making the CFP. I'm not holding my breath on the CFP, but what's the point of sports without bragging rights and pride?

• Agree
Reactions: Al_4_State and Doc

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
No they don't. They're just NPCs who go about their daily routines, scratching and rutting and following their programming. They don't even bleed when you cut them. They just ooze taffy.

(To be clear, this is a hot take thread. I've never actually cut a Hawkeye fan. Mostly because of the smell. Also I'm afraid their fandom might spread via contact with bodily fluids.)

I’d be worried about catching more than their fandom

Reactions: Mr Janny

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I have never seen a stripper in a McDonalds uniform, but if she handed out cheeseburgers during her show, she would probably get a good crowd.
I'm afraid you've got it backwards. The person in the McDonald's uniform is the patron of the strip club, not the stripper.
I think we can all agree that a stripper in a McDonald's uniform is hot as ****. Everyone knows the progression of stripper sexiness goes Naughty Librarian>Catholic School Girl outfit>McDonald's uniform. It's science.

Oh man, if only the sport of wrestling was as popular as a stripper wearing a McDonald's uniform. Then there wouldn't be any problem. But, it's just doesn't work like that. If wrestling were a stripper, it would probably be the 10:30 AM, pre lunch rush, cesarian scar and needle tracks, remembers that one time when Richard Dryfuss came in "looking for directions" and stayed for a couple of dances, been wearing the same g-string since Bush 1 was in office, kind of gal.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
The vast majority of our fans are the worst. I couldn't assemble a bigger group of nerds and virgins with less people skills if my life depended on it. Throw in the grouchy small town old people and it's really bad.

This is why I go to exactly one football and men's bb game a year and as many road games as I can.

Unpopular enough?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The vast majority of our fans are the worst. I couldn't assemble a bigger group of nerds and virgins with less people skills if my life depended on it. Throw in the grouchy small town old people and it's really bad.

This is why I go to exactly one football and men's bb game a year and as many road games as I can.

Unpopular enough?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It wasn't the schedule that led to those 2-10 or 3-9ish type of football seasons.

They happened because ISU wasn't very good.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500