Oliver Martin Enters Transfer Portal

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Our QB isn't fat and slow so I'm probably not as worried about our RB pass blocking as you are.

Seems like you should be if he is not as fat and slow as stanley. Stanley needs to be better at stuff, but being fat and slow helps him withstand hits in the pocket.

• Dumb
Reactions: Bigman38

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Seems like you should be if he is not as fat and slow as stanley. Stanley needs to be better at stuff, but being fat and slow helps him withstand hits in the pocket.
That was a sweet spin zone of being fat and slow. Love it.

Reactions: srjclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Smith put up 28 catches, 361 yards, and 2 TDs as the 4th or 5th option
ISM put up 23 catches, 361 yards, and 3 TDs as the 4th or 5th option

so I do not see how they do not have that potential with the top 3 guys being gone.
Yes but Iowa's offense is not going to all of a sudden start throwing to their wide receivers all the time. Smith and ISM are still going to be right around those same numbers, maybe a bit higher, because they're going to run their offense through their tight ends like they always have.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Yes but Iowa's offense is not going to all of a sudden start throwing to their wide receivers all the time. Smith and ISM are still going to be right around those same numbers, maybe a bit higher, because they're going to run their offense through their tight ends like they always have.

They both improved on their 2017 stat lines so i am not sure how that doesnt continue. Only thing that might not continue is ISM yards per catch going from around 9 to 15.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They both improved on their 2017 stat lines so i am not sure how that doesnt continue. Only thing that might not continue is ISM yards per catch going from around 9 to 15.
It doesn't always work like that though. FWIW, Deshaunte Jones his freshman year stat line was 37 rec, 536 yds, 6 TDs. His junior year stat line was 43 rec, 366, yds, 4 TD's. Iowa's WR might get a tad bit better, but it's not going to be anything eye opening. I'd assume one will have a little bit better because Easley's gone, and the other will stay around the same. I do think however, that Easley was by far the best receiver last year. He had the best hands, was the best route runner, and created the best separation. The other two guys struggled in some areas.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Smith put up 28 catches, 361 yards, and 2 TDs as the 4th or 5th option
ISM put up 23 catches, 361 yards, and 3 TDs as the 4th or 5th option

so I do not see how they do not have that potential with the top 3 guys being gone.

Which one do you expect to get 50 catches and 500 yards?

derpyherky

May 11, 2018

Yea, definitely needs to expand the workout routine besides just shake weights.
200.webp

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Those RBs need to be able to pass block too. Monty was really good at that.
Definitely, DM was great at, at the very least, getting a piece of the guy rushing. From what I've heard our two frosh RBs are very good pass blockers, I don't think that Johnny Lang and Kene are going to be forces there. That is why I think Sheldon Croney gets the start in the first couple of games but probably has fewer carries. Hall and Brock both contributing by early-mid year would be a huge plus for our O.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Definitely, DM was great at, at the very least, getting a piece of the guy rushing. From what I've heard our two frosh RBs are very good pass blockers, I don't think that Johnny Lang and Kene are going to be forces there. That is why I think Sheldon Croney gets the start in the first couple of games but probably has fewer carries. Hall and Brock both contributing by early-mid year would be a huge plus for our O.
From what I'm hearing and reading, Hall could be the break out guy like Montgomery was his freshman year. Would love for Brock to be productive as well and I'm sure we'll hear more about him considering he just arrived on campus not too long ago.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Which one do you expect to get 50 catches and 500 yards?
Smith IMO. ISM is more of the stretch the field type and he does not catch it consistently enough IMO. But according to you Nico is going to be better anyway.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Lmao, gee I wonder why Campbell didnt offer him in 2017???? Go look at his original offer list, you think Iowa State is competing with that coming off multiple 3 win seasons?

Yea, who would think we could compete for a player at that level. I mean, we learned our lesson and instead went for players like Lima, Leo, Newell, Eaton, Hummel, Knipfel, Milton and Tongamoa.

We would have much rather had a vagabond, average receiver but just didn't have a shot at him.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Smith IMO. ISM is more of the stretch the field type and he does not catch it consistently enough IMO. But according to you Nico is going to be better anyway.

Smith had a combined 31 catches for 371 yards his first two years at Iowa and you expect him to have 50 catches for 500 yards this year? That seems very optimistic

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Smith had a combined 31 catches for 371 yards his first two years at Iowa and you expect him to have 50 catches for 500 yards this year? That seems very optimistic

In his first year with a more expanded role ( in place of Matt Vandeberg) he showed great improvement. and we lose the top 3 options in front of him, so yes he can achieve that.

Go look at who Easley replaced..... McCarron who had pretty much the same yearly stats as Easley.

Go look at who Riley replaced..... and so on and so on

Then you will see when Iowa had talented WRs, all of a sudden their production popped up with good numbers, and with O'Keefe back and no Davis, we have that same type of philosophy to get it to the talented WRs and stretch the field.

Now will Stanley be able to do that consistently? I hope so, but he has his best games against OSU and ISU for some reason.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
In his first year with a more expanded role ( in place of Matt Vandeberg) he showed great improvement. and we lose the top 3 options in front of him, so yes he can achieve that.

Go look at who Easley replaced..... McCarron who had pretty much the same yearly stats as Easley.

Go look at who Riley replaced..... and so on and so on

Then you will see when Iowa had talented WRs, all of a sudden their production popped up with good numbers, and with O'Keefe back and no Davis, we have that same type of philosophy to get it to the talented WRs and stretch the field.

Now will Stanley be able to do that consistently? I hope so, but he has his best games against OSU and ISU for some reason.

It will all boil down to if Iowa has mismatches at TE. If the TE's draw double teams then yeah I would hope that the WR productivity would either stay the same or increase. In other words they way you are looking at things is simply not that cut and dry.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron