Alert: THAT TIME OF YEAR: Need suggestions for Summer Series

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Instead of trying to add to the mix, a few ideas already posted that sound most intriguing to me.

Listed in order of submission.
A feature on 1970s ISU football and its success, and why it wasn’t sustained.
Johnny’s turnaround of ISU hoops and creation of Hilton Magic.
Pete Taylor and ISU fandom.
Clyde Williams retrospective

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
A few additional items:

-Cyclone athletes remember greatest opposing fan heckles (ex. Demise of “The Antlers” at Missouri after Jeff Grayer incident)

-best ISU fan heckles of opposing players (ex. Cap guns for Stipanovich or handcuffs for Skiles)

-best opposing coach quotes about ISU (ex. Colorado football coach saying we had best mascot as we had a real cyclone or Tubbs saying all the saw all night was the seat of #35’s pants in reference to Barry)

-best ISU coach quotes (ex. Orr’s quote about 5 good players in IA, we got 3, 1 couldn’t get into school and the other to IA which was abut the same)

-primer on ISU traditions at sporting events since my youngest just went through orientation and will be a freshman this fall (ex. Origin of 5 claps during opposing player intros in Hilton)

-old traditions that are no more (adding up girls at football games or chanting “use your gun” to police removing drunks)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
-best ISU fan heckles of opposing players (ex. Cap guns for Stipanovich or handcuffs for Skiles)

#1 ISU fans heckling opposing players has to be the Hilton student section flopping for the introduction of Marcus Smart!

• Funny
Reactions: CyberJJJ

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think you should spend an episode analyzing why/how CW talks so damn slow. I think it’s because he spent so much time near Nebraska but still...gd.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
@ChrisMWilliams any update on ETA of the first podcast? Looking forward to this years series

New ideas from last week:
  • Gambling primer from a SW Iowan who goes to Vegas
  • TJ, the secret sauce of Hoiberg's success
  • The untold story of Rashad Vaughn as told by his bagman

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
What do other Big XII sportswriters think of ISU sports? We get regular posters from other schools but they tend to be extreme personalities. I'd be curious how other fan bases view ups (collectively).

Tri

Sep 10, 2009
I agree with interviewing other sportswriters,x- players,announcers if opposing teams/towns from last year and for the upcoming year would be interesting. Iowa has done things like this for decades. Part of the reason why they're fan base thinks they are bigger and much higher profile than us.Bad job out if ISU marketing and broadcasting. Rarely if ever get to listen to other coaches on post game show.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How about an extended interview with Joel Klatt?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron