Favorite underrated actors

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
This thought just hit me randomly. Does anyone else have any actors/actresses who, upon seeing that they are in a certain film/show, it immediately has your attention as one to seriously consider? Even though they aren't actors who people generally consider capable of carrying the film as the lead? I've got a few to start:

Sean Bean: he's why I got into GoT in the first place. Tremendous actor, though seeing him as a more heroic figure was certainly different. Some of it is in his voice. There's just something about his voice that says this film ain't ******* around.

Cillian Murphy: he's absolutely brilliant. Peaky Blinder is a great show in no small part due to him, but I also loved him in Red Eye, 28 Days Later, and The Wind That Shakes the Barley.

Barry Pepper: loved Pvt. Jackson from the first time I saw Saving Private Ryan. 61* is an underrated film, in general, and he was great as Roger Maris. And while "3" was a lousy movie, he was a pretty good Dale Earnhardt. But my favorite character he's played is Joe Galloway in We Were Soldiers.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Clint Howard

images

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Michael Mosley. He graduated in my class at Cedar Falls High School and was awesome in Netflix's Ozarks. His death scene is awesome along with the scene where he baptizes his baby. He's also really good in a bit part in the terrible movie Peppermint. He's in some other stuff too like the TV show Pan Am. He was on Scrubs in a recurring role, but I never saw him in that.
www.imdb.com/name/nm1134612/

Reactions: CycloneVet

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Kevin Pollak -- Whether he is in a major role (e.g. "A Few Good Men") or in a brief appearance (e.g. "That Thing You Do," "The Wedding Planner") I think he is a great actor!

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Kevin Pollak -- Whether he is in a major role (e.g. "A Few Good Men") or in a brief appearance (e.g. "That Thing You Do," "The Wedding Planner") I think he is a great actor!

'Grumpy Old Men' and 'Canadian Bacon'. Also 'Indian Summer' for a nice underrated movie.

• Agree
Reactions: kentkel

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I used to think Paul Giamoti but then it seemed like everything I saw him in, he became the spazzy band manager type.

Perhaps this doesn't fit since he's very popular, but Bill Murray can take over a movie pretty easily.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
David Strathairn. If he's in something it's usually pretty good.

Kevin Kline is pretty high profile I guess, but I haven't seen him in many roles the last few years.

Reactions: cyowan

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
He's hard to call underrated anymore, because he's won an Oscar, but Sam Rockwell was underrated for a long long time.

Safe Men
The Green Mile
Heist
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Moon
Gentlemen Broncos
Seven Psychopaths

just to name a few roles he absolutely kills in

and last but not least, who could forget him in TMNT?

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Michael Mosley. He graduated in my class at Cedar Falls High School and was awesome in Netflix's Ozarks. His death scene is awesome along with the scene where he baptizes his baby. He's also really good in a bit part in the terrible movie Peppermint. He's in some other stuff too like the TV show Pan Am. He was on Scrubs in a recurring role, but I never saw him in that.
www.imdb.com/name/nm1134612/

He was in Sirens too, a very underrated show imo

Help Support Us

Become a patron