Designated Survivor

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
There are 3 shows I watch on network TV anymore. This and "the Mick" were both cancelled yesterday. Time to cancel directv.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Finished up season 3. Generally enjoyed it, there were a few "meh" moments and an entire subplot that was fulfilled in a satisfying way, however I generally enjoyed it more than 1 and 2.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Haven’t read this thread (spoilers) but finally got around to starting this series tonight with the rain. Binged 3 episodes. I’m hooked.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I really enjoyed season 1 but kinda lost interest in the first few episodes of season 2. I loved the conspiracy aspect of it but the political stuff got a little too boring for me. Is it worth jumping back in? Saw that season 3 just came out too

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Got through the first ep of season 3 last night. It's fine, I guess. I did kind of laugh at how the writers and cast took advantage of being off network tv and started firing away with the four letter words. I don't know if it makes the show any better but it was funny to see them dropping an f bomb or whatever here and there just because they could.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I really enjoyed season 1 but kinda lost interest in the first few episodes of season 2. I loved the conspiracy aspect of it but the political stuff got a little too boring for me. Is it worth jumping back in? Saw that season 3 just came out too

I’m a decent chunk of the way into season 3 and it is VERY political this season. I’m not sure how I feel about it so far. It’s definitely losing me. It has lost most of the conspiracy and military aspects and replaced everything with social issues.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I’m a decent chunk of the way into season 3 and it is VERY political this season. I’m not sure how I feel about it so far. It’s definitely losing me. It has lost most of the conspiracy and military aspects and replaced everything with social issues.
That’s disappointing to hear. Especially with how much I loved season one

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Got through the first ep of season 3 last night. It's fine, I guess. I did kind of laugh at how the writers and cast took advantage of being off network tv and started firing away with the four letter words. I don't know if it makes the show any better but it was funny to see them dropping an f bomb or whatever here and there just because they could.
I concur. My biggest issue is that the swearing often felt scripted. I'm not a fan of foul language just for the sake of foul language. If it is more organic in nature & "realistic" to what is going on, then it is much more palatable.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Just finished Season 3 last night. It was OK. I don't know if it was any better or worse than it was when it aired on ABC or wherever the first two seasons. I think maybe the two big problems are that the show started off with a really cool concept and didn't leave itself with a whole lot of places to go. I mean, when you start the pilot episode by blowing up the entire US government except one guy you're setting a pretty high bar for ensuing storylines. And the other issue (this is coming from someone who usually leans left), I thought the tone of Season 3 was pretty preachy and liberal for a president who's supposed to be an independent centrist.

Killing off Hannah Wells was a good call. Her storylines usually felt like a spy movie awkwardly jammed into a political drama.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Most of the way through season 3. Really miss Lyor

Yeah, I was disappointed he didn't come back. I was kind of pumped to see Anthony Edwards join the cast at first but I can't say I really loved the Mars Harper character all that much.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I binged it starting a few weeks ago and finished it last week.

I enjoyed it for the most part, although I have seen that Netflix cancelled it, so it's done for good now. I am glad that they got to have a Season 3 in the first place, and I think it had a good ending, and one which you can end a series on, although they certainly established some storylines for a possible Season 4.

To me, it shows how important and vital a showrunner is to any TV series, and incompetence or brilliance can really effect the course and destiny of a series. I read that "DS" went through five different ones before it was over and done with. I do wish that they would have stuck more with the conspiratorial mystery aspect of the show, as I think it was at its best when it did that, as opposed to being more of a "West Wing" type of show.

RIP Designated Survivor. It's too bad it took so long for you to figure out what you were.