BIG XII revenue expected to grow

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
200.gif

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
giphy.gif

I'll admit I was wrong about adding 2 teams to the Big 12. I was all for adding BYU and another like Cincy or Memphis, but our current setup is better than it would have been adding them.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

The B12 has performed really well on $/team payouts.

Over the next 5 yrs or so, it will be important to monitor the years where the Sugar Bowl is a playoff game (pac 12 impacted by the rose bowl this year) and also the revenue from the new ESPN+ deal that included adding three more B12 title games to ESPN/ ABC. The details on this deal were not made available when it was announced.

The last time the Sugar Bowl (2017/18) was part of the playoff it coincided with first year of the B12 title game. Since both the B12 Title Game and the Sugar Bowl account for $3-$4M per school, adding the title game offset the lost Sugar Bowl Revenue. The ~39M per school this year includes both the B12 title game revenue and the Sugar Bowl revenue. I believe there are revenue increases baked into the current deals that will help offset the lost Sugar Bowl revenue that happens every 3 years, but may see a year to year decline in 2020/21 (2 years from now) vs. 2019/20 (this year). However, the new ESPN+ deal goes into full effect in 2020/21 which coincides with the lost Sugar Bowl revenue...

So, net is, conference revenues are on an upward trajectory; continued success making the CF Playoff and NCAA Tournaments will continue to boost our conf payouts; conference TV contracts have built in increases over the next several years that should increase the payouts further; and finally, the conference continues to look for new revenue opportunities (B12 Title Game, ESPN+, etc.)... All good news and currently a solid #3 in terms of overall conference performance. Meanwhile, Texas, OU bring in revenue equal to or greater than SEC, B10 once you factor in the LHN and OU's Fox Sports revenues for T3 rights.

Last edited:

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
How does Larry Scott 1) still have a job and 2) get paid as much as he does while sucking at it?

In his defense, he can't do a damn thing without the University Presidents on board and he's got, by far, the most difficult group to deal with.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Last edited:

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
The big 12 needs to be putting out feelers to the Arizona schools, and see if they would be welling to leave the Pac 12 and join the big 12 in the next 5 years. They will probley not want too, but it sure would not hurt to check it out.
I don't know. I bet a lot of Pac 12 schools would gladly jump to another P5 conference if given the chance.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The big 12 needs to be putting out feelers to the Arizona schools, and see if they would be welling to leave the Pac 12 and join the big 12 in the next 5 years. They will probley not want too, but it sure would not hurt to check it out.

You might as well go after Arizona and UCLA/USC if we're grabbing two.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You might as well go after Arizona and UCLA/USC if we're grabbing two.

I just can not see the leading Pac 12 schools of UCLA/USC leaving, they are at the top of the heap in the conference. But both Arizona schools are not on that path, closer to the Texas schools and they might be wiling to jump. It hurts nothing to ask and gage their interest.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I just can not see the leading Pac 12 schools of UCLA/USC leaving, they are at the top of the heap in the conference. But both Arizona schools are not on that path, closer to the Texas schools and they might be wiling to jump. It hurts nothing to ask and gage their interest.

If it doesn't hurt to ask then we should ask UCLA. They have a chance to make more money and get out of USC's shadow. They've definitely noticed K State and Iowa State making more money than them.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron