Golf Sucks

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Can we all agree that the very setup of golf creates these problems?

If you're new to softball you don't join an A league team. You play on a specific night with other C league teams. If you're new to painting other people in the painting class don't affect your painting. But in golf the good and the bad use the exact same course at the exact same time. Why isn't there a "beginners time" each week with 20 minute increments, for example? How about a low-handicap night?

Here's what I don't understand. Everyone I talk to either is or thinks they're a good golfer. I shoot about a 90 and most things online say that the average golfer shoots 100+. That makes me better than average and I still suck and am inconsistent. Where are these 100+ golfers? Because the guys in the clubhouse aren't it. The guys I talk to aren't it. They're some mythical segment that exists but apparently doesn't talk about golf other than while golfing.

So how do you make a single course appeal to the people who are average (100+ shots) in a group of 4 and to the twosome of scratch golfers? How do you appeal to an incredibly wide spread of people using the same field?

I believe they say 2% of golfers break 80. So that should tell you something.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Here's what I don't understand. Everyone I talk to either is or thinks they're a good golfer. I shoot about a 90 and most things online say that the average golfer shoots 100+. That makes me better than average and I still suck and am inconsistent. Where are these 100+ golfers? Because the guys in the clubhouse aren't it. The guys I talk to aren't it. They're some mythical segment that exists but apparently doesn't talk about golf other than while golfing.

There's very few things I trust less than colleagues stated golf scores from the weekend. Weekend warriors who claim to be "bogey golfers" will shoot 50+ for 9 holes playing the ball down in a league environment, guaranteed.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I golfed a lot in High School. I didn't want to go out for track, so we joined the "Golf Team." We got to the point where we were fairly decent, regularly in the 90's. I think I got in the 70's once, at my peak. This is small town Iowa, BTW.

But now I play maybe once a year, and get in the 70's now, for 9 holes . . .

I know all the unwritten and written rules and try to let people play through. So I've never had a problem with "golf guy" like the OP. But it is really hard to improve if people are going to criticize you along the way.

Kinda like teasing the fat guy at the gym. At least he's there.

Reactions: mdk2isu

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
There's very few things I trust less than colleagues stated golf scores from the weekend. Weekend warriors who claim to be "bogey golfers" will shoot 50+ for 9 holes playing the ball down in a league environment, guaranteed.

I played in a league for a few year and this is completely correct. When I'm playing with friends we play that you can roll the ball and give anything inside 4-5 feet. When we played in league often the guys we'd play against you had to play it down and putt out everything. I was amazed how much that effected me.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I played in a league for a few year and this is completely correct. When I'm playing with friends we play that you can roll the ball and give anything inside 4-5 feet. When we played in league often the guys we'd play against you had to play it down and putt out everything. I was amazed how much that effected me.

I'll slice a ball into the trees, never to be seen again, and rehit if no one is behind me. I'll hit it 260 up the middle and play that ball. Do I count the sliced ball?

What sliced ball?

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I don't play nearly as much as I used to, but I still play a weekly league.

In my experience, beginners are typically slower (duh) as they are going to hit more shots. They aren't necessarily the problem. 9.9 times out of 10 they are going to let you play through and be cool.

The problems are the guys that THINK they are good. Look at every putt from 3 directions, stand behind the ball and take a deep breath and visualize their shot, waggle 15 times, stand there and look at the putt they missed and explain why they missed it for 10 mins. Are these asswipes going to let you go by them? Not in a million years.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I golfed a lot in High School. I didn't want to go out for track, so we joined the "Golf Team." We got to the point where we were fairly decent, regularly in the 90's. I think I got in the 70's once, at my peak. This is small town Iowa, BTW.

But now I play maybe once a year, and get in the 70's now, for 9 holes . . .

I know all the unwritten and written rules and try to let people play through. So I've never had a problem with "golf guy" like the OP. But it is really hard to improve if people are going to criticize you along the way.

Kinda like teasing the fat guy at the gym. At least he's there.

C’mon Man. I’m not a “golf guy” the way you’re spinning it. I’m simply a guy who is frustrated by how clueless people are to their surroundings on a golf course. Probably the same people who are clueless at the grocery store.

I don’t care if someone shoots 120. 120 can be done in 4 hours.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I don't play nearly as much as I used to, but I still play a weekly league.

In my experience, beginners are typically slower (duh) as they are going to hit more shots. They aren't necessarily the problem. 9.9 times out of 10 they are going to let you play through and be cool.

The problems are the guys that THINK they are good. Look at every putt from 3 directions, stand behind the ball and take a deep breath and visualize their shot, waggle 15 times, stand there and look at the putt they missed and explain why they missed it for 10 mins. Are these asswipes going to let you go by them? Not in a million years.

This describes what I’m frustrated with. The person who takes 5 practice swings, waggles like Sergio, then hits a 30 yard worm burner. The same person who then shakes their head, mopes, waddles back to the cart, puts their iron cover on, talks to their partner about it for a little bit, sits back in the cart, drives to that ball, takes a couple minutes to decide which club to grab, grabs the same one, and does it all again.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Playing the ball down for events that don't mean anything is dumb. People are there to have fun, not to try and hit off bare lies. I play in a few tournaments a year and we play it down, which is obviously right, but any other time, I just feel like it's wise to have people play it up. If it matters, then I feel like the course requires it. If it doesn't matter, then who really cares?

• Agree
Reactions: octaviouspoon

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yesterday I played with a buddy at a course with very few people on it. There was a 5-some in front of us (4 carts, btw - which seems odd) but on the greens they would all gather in a group, one guy would go putt, and then regather and the next guy would putt.

The way my buddy and I play is he'll drop me off at the ball, I'll hit while he goes to look for his ball, etc. We don't each go to everyone's ball. Then when we putt whoever is to the green first will just putt. No sense to wait if you're on the green 10 feet from the cup while the other guy is looking for a ball in the rough.
This is what we play and we call it "ready golf". As soon as you are ready, take your shot. Unless you are directly in line with a player behind you just play the damned ball and move up. I get my money's worth hitting quite a few more shots than a lot of golfers, but that doesn't mean I have to take all day doing it.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
This is what we play and we call it "ready golf". As soon as you are ready, take your shot. Unless you are directly in line with a player behind you just play the damned ball and move up. I get my money's worth hitting quite a few more shots than a lot of golfers, but that doesn't mean I have to take all day doing it.

Ready Golf was a staple. We could fit in 18 after work if we walked and played that way (along with +3 max hole score).

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Playing the ball down for events that don't mean anything is dumb. People are there to have fun, not to try and hit off bare lies. I play in a few tournaments a year and we play it down, which is obviously right, but any other time, I just feel like it's wise to have people play it up. If it matters, then I feel like the course requires it. If it doesn't matter, then who really cares?

Furthermore, in a league, you just as well have everyone play it up because there will be guys cheating if you don't. At least then everyone has the same advantage.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

Except on the green, but that's how we generally do it. ;)

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Playing right now and there are currently 4 groups on the same hole we are on. 1st group was about 270 yards from the tee box, wind in our face and the 2nd group waits. Each of them hits and the longest drive of the 4 went maybe 175 yards. Current group, in front of us waits just as long and hitting now.

I’ll report back later.

Hit the damn ball.

My brother said this to me in the exact same situation. We were on the 7th hole.

I said, "you hit the damn ball. I am going to have a beer."

Left my clubs on the 7th, and since I drove, left him at the course.

I play for fun and NOBODY yells at me for hitting a bad shot

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
If you have something to say, say it to my face

ZBdV4Co.gif

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I'm a bad golfer, easily 100+.

But I never play a complete round because it would take forever. If I hit a good shot, I'll play from there, otherwise I'm picking up my ball while driving by in the cart and hitting from my buddy's spot. It's about having fun for me, not keeping score.

CprE84

Mar 31, 2006
Austin, TX
I think there is some "spin" going on with the serious golfers in this thread - saying that they don't care if you need 5 extra hits of the ball, etc as long as you have good etiquette and are courteous to those around you. In my experience this is not at all the case - the course ranger will be on your case if you're taking too long, and the serious golfers will be pissed off even if you let them play through. As someone who has never taken the time to become proficient, it makes the game miserable.

I liked the analogy of criticizing the fat guy who shows up at the gym. At least in that case, if he can only do the eliptical at 1/2 the speed as others, and for only 10 minutes, people aren't scolding him and getting pissed off at him. In golf, the novice is harassed for not being good enough (and therefore needing extra time). This is why I will probably never play another round of "real golf" again in my life. It is a fact that each time you need to find the ball and take a stroke takes time, so the "you can be a bad golfer and play just as fast as the rest" is BS.

If someone wants to go golfing, I'll offer to go to TopGolf or skip it, because as the thread says "[Real] Golf Sucks"!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think there is some "spin" going on with the serious golfers in this thread - saying that they don't care if you need 5 extra hits of the ball, etc as long as you have good etiquette and are courteous to those around you. In my experience this is not at all the case - the course ranger will be on your case if you're taking too long, and the serious golfers will be pissed off even if you let them play through. As someone who has never taken the time to become proficient, it makes the game miserable.

I liked the analogy of criticizing the fat guy who shows up at the gym. At least in that case, if he can only do the eliptical at 1/2 the speed as others, and for only 10 minutes, people aren't scolding him and getting pissed off at him. In golf, the novice is harassed for not being good enough (and therefore needing extra time). This is why I will probably never play another round of "real golf" again in my life. It is a fact that each time you need to find the ball and take a stroke takes time, so the "you can be a bad golfer and play just as fast as the rest" is BS.

If someone wants to go golfing, I'll offer to go to TopGolf or skip it, because as the thread says "[Real] Golf Sucks"!

I've never gotten irritated because guys sucked. I have become irritated because they sucked and were slow in ways other than just taking more shots. They take forever to hit then they piss around on the tees and greens then they spend 15 minutes at the beer cart (spending time at the beer cart is allowed, however lets make it quick and keep the creepy flirting to a minimum). I have also become irritated at scratch golfers for playing too slowly. Honestly, I've had more issues with the latter.

• Agree
Reactions: enisthemenace

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron