Future Sports at ISU

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
A 13-year-old article, a Daily piece that hinges on a quote from a club player, and a DMACC student paper piece by a guy who played high school ball at Roland-Story 3 years ago.
Did you read them, none of them said it would be next year most said more like 10, Pollard article was just an example of the same, his desire to add such sports back. At that time he was looking at 10 years down the road.
I realize those quotes are from people for the sport, but like I said there has been significant push for these sports for years. But what do I know, I guess nothing.
I read an article last year about the rowing team last year too, and how schools have been adding rowing to free up scholarship room for Title IX so that was why I said that one, too. Or we can close all sports at Iowa state except football and basketball because you know those are the only ones that make any money and anyone cares about right.

• Funny
Reactions: BryceC and CyDude16

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did you read them, none of them said it would be next year most said more like 10, Pollard article was just an example of the same, his desire to add such sports back. At that time he was looking at 10 years down the road.
I realize those quotes are from people for the sport, but like I said there has been significant push for these sports for years. But what do I know, I guess nothing.
I read an article last year about the rowing team last year too, and how schools have been adding rowing to free up scholarship room for Title IX so that was why I said that one, too. Or we can close all sports at Iowa state except football and basketball because you know those are the only ones that make any money and anyone cares about right.

None of them help your cause.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

The 2006 piece also said that ISU was DFL in the Big 12 in terms of budget. That was 13 years ago, and it hasn't really changed. More money, but still near the bottom. I'd rather Iowa State spend the money it has on the programs it has.

Club baseball players don't represent a "significant push." Donors with 7- and 8-figure checks represent a "significant push."

Who has rowing in the Big 12? Let's take a look.
Texas (more money than God)
Oklahoma (almost as much money as God)
Kansas State (does not offer women's softball, gymnastics, or swimming)
Kansas (does not offer women's gymnastics)
West Virginia (does not offer softball or women's golf)

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The 2006 piece also said that ISU was DFL in the Big 12 in terms of budget. That was 13 years ago, and it hasn't really changed. More money, but still near the bottom. I'd rather Iowa State spend the money it has on the programs it has.

Club baseball players don't represent a "significant push." Donors with 7- and 8-figure checks represent a "significant push."

Who has rowing in the Big 12? Let's take a look.
Texas (more money than God)
Oklahoma (almost as much money as God)
Kansas State (does not offer women's softball, gymnastics, or swimming)
Kansas (does not offer women's gymnastics)
West Virginia (does not offer softball or women's golf)
Kansas also doesnt have wrestling so
KState Same
WVU does not have any mens Track indoor or outdoor or Xcountry

I never said that I knew that there was donor or any other thing I asked for other opinions or views.
But some of you are just Jackasses that think you know everything. I shared a couple articles that show up on a simple google search that show there has been some interest and people have talked about these on here and everywhere for years and years. But I guess no one has ever heard such a thing. While most of these I see as unlikely I can say there may be a chance at one or two here or there, but not a big chance.
I understand there needs to be a donor push for it, and that was partly what I was asking if anyone had heard any rumors or more petitions or donor money being thrown at other sports.
You dont think we just built all those new facilities for the Soccer, Softball, and Track people for the fun of it do you.
Like I said I know in the 90s there was significant push for a hockey team, I know baseball has been thrown around since it left, I just never knew if it has or ever will get any traction.
Sorry for asking the all mighty know it all gods here that hate anyone asking anything they think they know everything about.
Just trying to start a discussion in the off season. I will go back to hibernating until football season again. Jerks.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Nearly every game I went to, there were more people in the dugouts than in the stands. And it was FREE.
So funny (and sad) to see visiting fans from Okie State, OU, etc. look around and ask for where to buy tickets at.
No, we would say, just find a seat...

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
If you had heard Pollard at the Bettendorf Coaches Tailgate tour this year you would know baseball has no chance. Too expensive and all the other Big XII teams have better climate. Versus B1G where there are other northern teams. And the expense for the quantity of athletes and transportation are prohibitive. He made it pretty clear the emphasis is to be competitive and successful in established sports (and revenue sports) versus trying to compete on a shoestring budget in everything.

That said, I would push for gymnastics and hockey if given a vote.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
If you had heard Pollard at the Bettendorf Coaches Tailgate tour this year you would know baseball has no chance. Too expensive and all the other Big XII teams have better climate. Versus B1G where there are other northern teams. And the expense for the quantity of athletes and transportation are prohibitive. He made it pretty clear the emphasis is to be competitive and successful in established sports (and revenue sports) versus trying to compete on a shoestring budget in everything.

That said, I would push for gymnastics and hockey if given a vote.
At least that was a meaningful reply with actual info. That is what I was hoping for. Thanks.
Someone can actually reply without being a ******* jerk about it. Thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: MeanDean

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Of you add any sports, I think you add to sports where we already have facilities for, like soccer or swimming. They share the same facilities as their female counterparts (sans locker room). The problem with baseball are the travel costs and the need to build a facility to play it in. Additional, the travel is pretty brutal. From what I've read. The first third of the season is all away games because of winter in the Midwest.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
tn-500_21june12-7097_sm.jpg

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So funny (and sad) to see visiting fans from Okie State, OU, etc. look around and ask for where to buy tickets at.
No, we would say, just find a seat...

Meanwhile, pretty sure it costs even like $5 to go to a 1A high school district baseball game in Iowa.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Of you add any sports, I think you add to sports where we already have facilities for, like soccer or swimming. They share the same facilities as their female counterparts (sans locker room). The problem with baseball are the travel costs and the need to build a facility to play it in. Additional, the travel is pretty brutal. From what I've read. The first third of the season is all away games because of winter in the Midwest.

Simple.

Just build a dome!

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Nearly every game I went to, there were more people in the dugouts than in the stands. And it was FREE.
we had some really good teams from 89-93 and the crowds were between 100 and 300 fans per game unless it was a really nice day in late April or Nebraska or Minnesota were playing here.
I don't think hockey is even doable in Hilton anymore. Following the last flood and renovations following, the ice equipment was removed from the arena.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron