Future Sports at ISU

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
So I know over the last several years there have been several drives to push for one or more different sports to become University sanctioned. I am just curious what the status is of any of these or if anyone has any real insight on what the real possibility is to add one or more new sports. I have heard we are in good shape as far as numbers for title IX, to add about anything.

Personally I would love to see Baseball back and I think it has the best shot at coming back but needs a major investment to do so. But being the only Big 12 school not having baseball and the fact we always were decent in Baseball and have a good club team that has pushed for a return to University sanctioning.

Hockey has been great at the club level and has tried to be a University sport for years but would more than likely require a B1G affiliate membership or similar to make it, which is not impossible. But I I think this is real long shot. One thing is they could see it as a add for both men's and women's. I'm not sure hockey is quite popular enough in this state for it though.

Womens Rowing, I know they have pursued the University level, and It is a sport many Universities have added and spent a major amount of money on in recent years adding facilities. It is a major sport for adding to Title IX balance.

Others, that are starting to pop up at other schools, some in the Big 12, or that have been removed over the years, most I don't see but maybe someone has a different view.
Mens Volleyball
Mens Tennis
Mens Swimming/Diving
Mens Gymnastics
Mens Soccer
Womens Beach Volleyball
Womens Field Hockey
Womens Ice Hockey

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Baseball has no chance whatsoever of being a scholarship sport at ISU again.

The only, and pretty minor, sport that was and maybe still planned, is sand volleyball. Not much happening with that though in the Big 12 (yet). The way the president talked a few years at a fundraising thingie I am surprised nothing has come of it. He also got asked about hockey cause the event was in Minnesota. :rolleyes: Uff da!

Here's link to a table showing what sports which Big 12 schools carry.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=208327961

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Baseball has no chance whatsoever of being a scholarship sport at ISU again.

The only, and pretty minor, sport that was and maybe still planned, is sand volleyball. Not much happening with that though in the Big 12 (yet). The way the president talked a few years at a fundraising thingie I am surprised nothing has come of it. He also got asked about hockey cause the event was in Minnesota. :rolleyes: Uff da!

Here's link to a table showing what sports which Big 12 schools carry.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=208327961
Why does baseball have no chance? I read an article last year that said that there was a legitimate chance of it coming back and that there was a major push for it. And of all the sports it was one with one of the best chances to come back. And we are the only school without it.
I would pay money to watch Baseball, and Hockey for sure. The others maybe, But several are basically Title IX sports etc, not for revenue. I would say ISU could be competitive in most if not all of these, and several have been before.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Need a new arena for hockey or they need to move into Hilton. 5000 capacity is minimum requirement for Hockey. I don't know what the Ice Arena can hold but no way it's close to 5k.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Why does baseball have no chance? I read an article last year that said that there was a legitimate chance of it coming back and that there was a major push for it.

Was this "article" in a baseball alumni newsletter?

ISU isn't going to add sports until it's either forced to or until the current ones are competing at what's deemed a high enough level. Also, scratch any sport that isn't sanctioned by the Big 12. You really want ISU to add a men's soccer team (for example), and have that team play in the MAC (like WVU does) or the Valley?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Why does baseball have no chance? I read an article last year that said that there was a legitimate chance of it coming back and that there was a major push for it. And of all the sports it was one with one of the best chances to come back. And we are the only school without it.
I would pay money to watch Baseball, and Hockey for sure. The others maybe, But several are basically Title IX sports etc, not for revenue. I would say ISU could be competitive in most if not all of these, and several have been before.

There is no legitimate chance of it happening unless there’s a significant donation for it. Like $25 million plus.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Baseball will never come back.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Was this "article" in a baseball alumni newsletter?

ISU isn't going to add sports until it's either forced to or until the current ones are competing at what's deemed a high enough level. Also, scratch any sport that isn't sanctioned by the Big 12. You really want ISU to add a men's soccer team (for example), and have that team play in the MAC (like WVU does) or the Valley?
Here are a few, there were more, I think one in the Register too. And one back when Pollard came about adding more sports, and his plans to add mens swimming and diving back.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sport...cle_cead8c92-0cc5-11e6-af17-97de46db8771.html

http://www.campuschroniclenews.com/an-argument-for-bringing-baseball-back-to-iowa-state/

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/new-iowa-state-ad-plans-to-bring-mens-swimming-back/

• Funny
Reactions: BryceC and CyDude16

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Personally I would love to see Baseball back and I think it has the best shot at coming back but needs a major investment to do so. But being the only Big 12 school not having baseball and the fact we always were decent in Baseball and have a good club team that has pushed for a return to University sanctioning.

Hockey has been great at the club level and has tried to be a University sport for years but would more than likely require a B1G affiliate membership or similar to make it, which is not impossible. But I I think this is real long shot. One thing is they could see it as a add for both men's and women's. I'm not sure hockey is quite popular enough in this state for it though.

We were always decent in baseball? News to me. The team blowed while I was going there (1997 through when they dropped the program).

As far as hockey, I'm a big fan of the idea of ISU becoming an NCAA hockey school. While the Big 10 would be the most ideal conference, it's not even close to the only option for a conference. National Collegiate Hockey Conference has schools in Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Colorado, and Western Collegiate Hockey Conference has schools in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, as well as Alabama and Alaska.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

A 13-year-old article, a Daily piece that hinges on a quote from a club player, and a DMACC student paper piece by a guy who played high school ball at Roland-Story 3 years ago.