Jun 28, 2011
tumblr_m410cixkkt1qf7kwgo1_5001.png

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I helped unload and load up after this concert for a few extra bucks. Genesis too. I'm guessing the concert isn't as good backstage and I certainly didn't see this happen, hah.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
My buddy and I went to this concert.

This was back when you were not allowed to bring cameras in the venue.
My buddy was a master of the smuggled camera and clandestine photos.

Anyway, He got several pictures of the girl pulled up onto the runway with Bono.
At the time we couldn't do much about it but since then he's been wanting to make contact with her to provide the photos to her.

I volunteered to post one photo of her and Bono on CF figuring there was probably a semi-decent chance someone on here knows her and can work to connect the photographer and the subject.

Obviously it would have been a HUGE deal for her at the time and so her friends would have known about it. Hoping someone can make the connection.

PM me if you (are her or) know how to contact her.

View attachment 64700
Pretty clear picture for having been in his anus.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Still not solved?

I am going with hired plant and not some random Cyclone coed.

The thought crossed our minds. Also had a thought. I wonder if there was an ISU Daily review in which case there may be some sort of reference to the incident, and if so, maybe even identifying the girl.

Anyone know if Dailies from that era are on line somewhere?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I wonder if there was an ISU Daily review in which case there may be some sort of reference to the incident, and if so, maybe even identifying the girl. Anyone know if Dailies from that era are on line somewhere?

I searched & clawed a little, not much luck.

This site has full publications of ISU Daily, viewable by page, but I'm not sure how far back the archive goes.

isuu: Iowa State Daily

Also, unless it has a filtering process I couldn't find, scrolling process to get back to early-90s might take almost 28 years.

• Friendly
Reactions: MeanDean

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
Ask Chris.

Review

2002-11-01 - Ames, Iowa submitted by Chris

At the close of summer, U2 made a rare appearance in Ames, Iowa, of all places.

Set on the campus of Iowa State University, this was a concert that attracted fans from all over, but most notably, the crowd was a "college" crowed which proved to be a lively one at that. More than the crowd, the venue, itself, proved to be a perfect setting for a U2 concert (complete with full moon, as mentioned by Bono in With Or Without You).

In all, the performance was inspired and proved to be one of the finest of the tour. Although a good recording of the show has never surfaced, even mediocre recordings reveal the spirit and conviction of the night. U2 was at the top of its game and the tour was reaching its pinnacle.

Moreover, it proved to be evidence that U2 was back in a big way and could put on an indelible show...even in the desolation that is Iowa.

.elevation-tour.com/reviewdetails278.html

• Informative

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Ask Chris.

Review

2002-11-01 - Ames, Iowa submitted by Chris

At the close of summer, U2 made a rare appearance in Ames, Iowa, of all places.

Set on the campus of Iowa State University, this was a concert that attracted fans from all over, but most notably, the crowd was a "college" crowed which proved to be a lively one at that. More than the crowd, the venue, itself, proved to be a perfect setting for a U2 concert (complete with full moon, as mentioned by Bono in With Or Without You).

In all, the performance was inspired and proved to be one of the finest of the tour. Although a good recording of the show has never surfaced, even mediocre recordings reveal the spirit and conviction of the night. U2 was at the top of its game and the tour was reaching its pinnacle.

Moreover, it proved to be evidence that U2 was back in a big way and could put on an indelible show...even in the desolation that is Iowa.

.elevation-tour.com/reviewdetails278.html
Nice find. However, it seems that the reviewer is not aware (“of all places”, “even in the desolation ...”), that U2 played at the large bar on the south side of Ames, between the football stadium and South Duff, I think, that later became the Mississippi Queen (The Fillmore?) — just before they became big.

Or so I’ve heard.

• Agree

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I thought I read in another U-2 thread that they played bars in Ames at least three times as part of a "hot new acts tour" or some such.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I thought I read in another U-2 thread that they played bars in Ames at least three times as part of a "hot new acts tour" or some such.
I heard it word of mouth decades ago, and have no other reason to believe it isn’t true.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I heard it word of mouth decades ago, and have no other reason to believe it isn’t true.

I'd also go with the theory that the same girl was pulled from the crowd at every show.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I'd also go with the theory that the same girl was pulled from the crowd at every show.
I was at the Chicago show but don’t recall that part. It sounds like the Ames show was better, but it was at an outdoor amphitheater, and the weather was kind of crappy if recall correctly.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I was at this show even though I am not a U2 fan. Still a good show. Althought probably the worst one I have seen at Jack Trice.