3-Point Line Moved Back

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Too bad they can't do something about the clearly intentional fouls in the final minutes of the game. Like make them an automatic flagrant.
If that is the only strategy available it will be used. If they don't like the foul to get the ball back strategy, keep whittling the shot clock or go to something like the Elam ending. Of course with the Elam ending the end of a Wisconsin basketball game just might never come.

D

Deleted member 8507

The official definition of a held ball (jump ball situation):
12.1.2 A held ball occurs when one or more players of each opposing team have one or both hands firmly on the ball so that neither player can gain control without undue roughness.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
With all the years of the blue blood schools complaining about teams that shoot lots of 3s, all i can think is that this might work in their favor.
Bill Self is drooling over a rule change that opens up the lane in Dok's senior season. Yeah, I like this change a lot.

• Dumb
Reactions: Doc

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Rule change I would like to see: Advance ball to half court after a time out in the final minute of game.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't see the moving the 3 pt line back a guarantee to open up the lane. At least for a couple years as guys adjust to the extra distance.

I am sure someone will do the analytics, but my guess is 30-40% of guys who shot 35%+ from the old distance might dip 4-5% from the longer distance. I think this could result in coaches contracting their defense. We might also see more zone defense or triangle/2 or box n 1.

I will also be curious how it impacts high pick n roll offense.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
Maybe now all those long-twos where they only had to take a half-step back for one more point won't infuriate me as much.

:jimlad:

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Rule change I would like to see: Advance ball to half court after a time out in the final minute of game.

Nope. Hate that rule with a fiery passion.

Would be like a team receiving a kickoff in a football game and automatically being placed into field goal range in the last minute.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
I saw Jay Bilas propose something like this not that long ago. It's a great idea. Don't give the refs incentive to show off and you likely won't see it called nearly as much.

Even though it's baseball, I couldn't help to think of this scene from the movie Naked Gun.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500