PMP Certification

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'm considering asking my employer to pay for me to go through this training to get certified. I'm curious what others have done.

Has anyone out there done it and gotten certified?
Did you just do the one week boot camp? Or did you do a much longer course?
Was it worth it?
Was there a benefit to your career (whether at your current employer or a new job)?
Was it difficult?

I'm in the engineering/construction industry and I'm seeing it more often, but I haven't seen it be a big enough deal to choose candidate A over B.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Initially read as PIMP Certification and was confused on how one gets certified as a PIMP.

Guest lecturer:
12-snoop-dog-bday.jpg

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'm considering asking my employer to pay for me to go through this training to get certified. I'm curious what others have done.

Has anyone out there done it and gotten certified?
Did you just do the one week boot camp? Or did you do a much longer course?
Was it worth it?
Was there a benefit to your career (whether at your current employer or a new job)?
Was it difficult?

I'm in the engineering/construction industry and I'm seeing it more often, but I haven't seen it be a big enough deal to choose candidate A over B.

I did it with a one week boot camp class to get the course hours, then some independent studying before the exam. I certainly picked up a few things that I have been able to use in my current position. As far as future career, I do see PMP preference and occasionally PMP requirements on job posting quite a bit. I think the amount of emphasis seems to vary by industry.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I did a Lynda.com online class that was about 7 hours of videos and that counted for the 35 hour training requirement. But, I still haven't gotten around to filling out the rest of the application...

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I did the one week boot camp and then studied off and on for a few months. Not going to say the test was easy (there's a lot to remember), but it wasn't super tough either. I think that it's a nice benefit to show employers and there is some useful stuff in there. If your employer is paying for it and you can set aside some study time, it's probably worth it.

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN
I did it with a one week boot camp class to get the course hours, then some independent studying before the exam. I certainly picked up a few things that I have been able to use in my current position. As far as future career, I do see PMP preference and occasionally PMP requirements on job posting quite a bit. I think the amount of emphasis seems to vary by industry.

I did the same. I let mine lapse after several years because they kept wanting me to go to their training classes to stay certified. It felt a bit like a scam. That said if your employer will pay for it there are some useful things you can learn.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
So what does the PMP certification stand for?

As someone already said, it’s Project Management Professional. The concept is that it’s a style of project delivery that works in all fields. I believe the certification is more common in the tech industry. I went to a few events of the local Project Management institute (they give the certification) and it was mostly contract employees in the tech and healthcare space.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I did the same. I let mine lapse after several years because they kept wanting me to go to their training classes to stay certified. It felt a bit like a scam. That said if your employer will pay for it there are some useful things you can learn.

It is absolutely a scam, but a very effective one. In IT project management, at least, certification can open a lot of doors. And if you’re woefully incompetent, you can just point to your certification and keep getting jobs. It’s a win-win!

• Funny
Reactions: Acylum

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

My take on it goes back years ago to it being presented to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers project management conference. Thought, "Oh boy, the Washington wonks and the ex-military guys are gonna eat this **** right up", and they did. The kept pushing me to to do it but I was already a senior PM so why the hell would I bother with it? And I didn't. If I was a younger lower graded employee with PM ambitions I'd have done it, not because I thought it would make a better PM but because the boss men thought it would. It's not as bad as the quality management flavor of the month fads though. Those are mostly complete and total BS cottage industries.

#somewhatcynicalPM