Biggest weight changes

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Hudson might be a bulldozer and Good-Jones is up to a good weight.

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
Maybe JGJ is taking his senior season a little more serious than he has in the past. He has had some off the field issues that got him suspended for the season opener a couple times. Now it looks like he has done well in the off season workouts to finally get his weight up over 300 lbs. It has also been awhile since we have had a Jake and AJ sized LB. Mike Rose is quickly approaching that with Will McDonald close behind. I hadn't heard Jatairis Grant has been moved to LB.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Maybe JGJ is taking his senior season a little more serious than he has in the past. He has had some off the field issues that got him suspended for the season opener a couple times. Now it looks like he has done well in the off season workouts to finally get his weight up over 300 lbs. It has also been awhile since we have had a Jake and AJ sized LB. Mike Rose is quickly approaching that with Will McDonald close behind. I hadn't heard Jatairis Grant has been moved to LB.
I think the offensive line success is going to depend on if JGJ has really turned the corner. We have heard good things this spring, which is promising. He can have a few really good plays followed by a very poor one. I remember in the Oklahoma State game this past season we almost got an extra point blocked because he didn't even try to block anyone.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Lost 10 lbs in about 2 weeks due to Dr changing my blood pressure meds. One dose is now a "water pill".

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Bout time they updated the roster!

Geez- Mike Rose is a monster!

Would love to see what Hudson can do on the line. Any chance he could play guard? Or is he exclusively a tackle?

I swear Blake Peterson looks bigger than 255#

Zach Petersen is a pleasant surprise.

No movement for Vance or Hummel. They must be at their ideal weight.

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
I think the offensive line success is going to depend on if JGJ has really turned the corner. We have heard good things this spring, which is promising. He can have a few really good plays followed by a very poor one. I remember in the Oklahoma State game this past season we almost got an extra point blocked because he didn't even try to block anyone.

The field goal that was blocked in the west virginia game was because JGJ didn't block his man.

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD

Would love to see what Hudson can do on the line. Any chance he could play guard? Or is he exclusively a tackle?

If I remember correctly they both were in the 230 range which I thinks is ideal for Big 12 linebackers.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Agreed. But 240 still seems to be the ideal weight for NFL linebackers.

They're both only 6'1 - so 240 would be a very squat linebacker and I think would be too much weight for them to carry. Just my opinion, though. Noticed Tymar Sutton has dropped weight - he was like 5'10 230 if I remember which seemed crazy for a linebacker.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
They're both only 6'1 - so 240 would be a very squat linebacker and I think would be too much weight for them to carry. Just my opinion, though. Noticed Tymar Sutton has dropped weight - he was like 5'10 230 if I remember which seemed crazy for a linebacker.

Bobby Wagner packs 245# onto his 6' frame. But, yeah- he's a freak...

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Jake and AJ didn't play 240 if I recall interviews. I thought they said they actually played at 220-230 from what I recall and then they added after

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Agreed. But 240 still seems to be the ideal weight for NFL linebackers.

Kind of depends on what scheme a team runs. But recently it seems like most teams are looking for elite speed at the LB spot. Darius Leonard played around 220-225 last year and did pretty well for himself, but I have to think that anyone would struggle to play at a high level or stay healthy much lighter than that.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

I believe Hudson has been at guard since his arrival.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
  • Funny
Reactions: CYCLNST8

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
How seriously can we take these specific weights? These guys have significant variance during every single day as they eat, crap, and work out.
They are pretty accurate off season weights. They weight in most every day and know how many calories they need per day to lose, maintain, or gain. My buddies son is one of the starting linemen, he told me as the season progresses its really hard for him to maintain his weight.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
They are pretty accurate off season weights. They weight in most every day and know how many calories they need per day to lose, maintain, or gain. My buddies son is one of the starting linemen, he told me as the season progresses its really hard for him to maintain his weight.

I have no doubt that the team knows the true numbers. I wonder whether the published numbers are very accurate, particularly when I hear how little head coaches care about things like depth charts.