Big 12 Network

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Honestly, the only school that left the Big 12 that I would want back is Colorado. They left because of the chaos not because they thought the grass was greener. A&M, NU, and Mizzou can all **** off.

Watching Mizzou and Nebraska trying to figure out life without Texas recruiting has been quite enjoyable. Nebraska has the brand recognition and appears to be trending in the right direction but Mizzou is now the below average looking cousin at an Alabama wedding.

I'd take Colorado back if the interest was mutual; it'd just be tough justifying expanding west if we still have a school in the Appalachians. As things currently stand, you'd have a tough time convincing Mizzou to walk away from so much cash, but as streaming content shapes the future they may become more interested in easing traveling expenses & restoring old rivalries. There's no exit fee for leaving the SEC & West Virginia's poor academic standing would be a perfect fit. Colorado State would be a nice fit as well ~or~ if we were to take BYU as football only, we could potentially continue round robin scheduling with eleven teams in our Olympic sports.

I agree with a previous poster we should return to an 8 game schedule in football to get more bowl eligible teams like the SEC does. Use divisions for scheduling purposes, but not determining the championship game. Take the two top teams no matter what.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Yes - our volleyball, wrestling, softball, etc. programs would LOVE something like the Big 10 Network. Christy Johnson for example has mentioned it before...

They get far more games on Cyclones.TV then they would on a Big X or Big XII network. Keep the games on Cyclones.TV but then sell or agree to share the rights with a Big XII streaming network. So if someone had subscribed to KSU.TV then they could watch say a KSU at ISU softball game. Perhaps that's what they are doing with this ESPN+ deal. But having the Big X network determine programming is not advantageous to an Iowa or ISU.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I agree that the fate of the conference rests with OU and not Texas. But its also not as easy or a money making decision for OU as you make out. Last time I looked OU was still in the top 10 to 12 schools from their media contracts. Add in their tier 3 media rights and they will be making as much if not more than most of the teams in the big 10.

The question is does OU want to possible make a few more millions, but then decrease their chance at making the college football playoffs? The academics at OU are below every school in the Big 10, and they were found out to be giving false data last month, so maybe that increase that they claimed was not really happening. They also have the problem of OSU, will their BOR allow them to move if it endangers the Cowboys in any way.

Led the conference along with Texas or be just another member to Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama and Florida. and make a few million more, but decrease your chance at the playoffs. It would also increase their travel budget in terms of time and money.

Texas, as much as they say, is stuck in the big 12 unless they would like to pull a ND type deal, and go independent. With aTm in the SEC. UT will never stoop to going that conference. Hell, they look down on the Aggies like Iowa does us, and now they are following them to a different conference. ESPN will never allow them to go to the Big 10, they will not give the LHN programing to rival fox. So its the ND path and the ACC or staying put. I will add, in my opinion, UT never was actually planning on going to the PAC, they wanted the threat that they might go to get the LHN. If they try that again, the conference needs to call that bluff.

The Big 12 needs to just relax and wait to see what is happening with the Pac 12, their network is a **** show, and not bringing in anywhere close to the money that was promised. In 3 more years, both Arizona schools might be more than willing to listen to an offer to join the Big 12. If WV wants to leave, then offer Colorado its spot back, but the ACC will never take WV, if they were, then the Mountaineers would be playing there now.
Colorado can rot...they left for greener pastures only to find the PAC 12 field littered with buffalo chips and a costly TV network. They paid a $6.8M penalty to the Big 12 when they left and have a revenue stream that is more than $5M per year short of any team in the Big 12...and the gap is widening each and every year. Just a quick back of the napkin calculation shows that they are roughly $30M behind Iowa State looking at the past 5 years or so.

One thing for sure is that 2023-2024 will be fascinating.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I love it when people extrapolate "I don't watch that" into "nobody watches that."

Suffice to say, you're very wrong.
So far your responses are "there are more sports than football" and "you're very wrong" while I give thought out responses which lean towards the idea that we don't need a conference network.

If you honestly think Olympic sports viewership (because the big sports are already available on major tv networks) justifies a need for a whole conference network... yikes.

• Funny
Reactions: harimad

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Texas is never letting go of that deal. So it's Big 12 or ACC/Independent through 2031. I dream of a day where we could talk Mizzou into swapping with West Virginia.

That deal ends and they aren't getting it renewed. So Texas doesn't really get that choice.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I agree with a previous poster we should return to an 8 game schedule in football to get more bowl eligible teams like the SEC does. Use divisions for scheduling purposes, but not determining the championship game. Take the two top teams no matter what.

Do you think TV partners (and I use that term loosely) are going to pay the same money if the BIg 12 were to replace one conference game with a game against a cupcake non-p5 school?

• Agree
Reactions: Dandy

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Do you think TV partners (and I use that term loosely) are going to pay the same money if the BIg 12 were to replace one conference game with a game against a cupcake non-p5 school?

Probably not, but with the new espn+ deal it may be less than initially thought. I think the real question would be about opportunity cost. Would the money we would lose from the tv contracts be more or less than the revenue generated from having 1 or 2 additional bowl games, a much better chance for the playoffs, with a team in the playoffs big 12 teams all get shifted up a bowl game, an additional home game for each team over a 2 year span? I don’t know the answer but these would be additional factors to consider.

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Probably not, but with the new espn+ deal it may be less than initially thought. I think the real question would be about opportunity costs. Would the money we would lose from the tv contracts be more or less than the revenue generated from having 1 or 2 additional bowl games, a much better chance for the playoffs, with a team in the playoffs big 12 teams all get shifted up a bowl game, an additional home game for each team? I don’t know the answer but these would be additional factors to consider.

The P5 teams have figured out the game...you get to pay them lots of money now if you want them to come to your place. And the Big 12 isn't the SEC...the Big 12 will get mercilessly beat over the head for that extra cupcake game come playoff selection time.

The payouts for the lower tier bowls basically cover expenses for the teams to travel to the game.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Honestly, the only school that left the Big 12 that I would want back is Colorado. They left because of the chaos not because they thought the grass was greener.

Colorado had been looking for a way into the Pac-10 even before the Big 8 became the Big 12. They just finally got the opportunity/window they were waiting for.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
The P5 teams have figured out the game...you get to pay them lots of money now if you want them to come to your place. And the Big 12 isn't the SEC...the Big 12 will get mercilessly beat over the head for that extra cupcake game come playoff selection time.

The payouts for the lower tier bowls basically cover expenses for the teams to travel to the game.

it would be just the Big 12’s luck that if we went to the 8 conference game schedule that would be the year the committee all of a sudden decides SOS is the major deciding factor, but still ignore the fact the SEC and ACC do it as well, haha. I would assume the conferences get some additional payout for the lower bowls broadcasting as well in addition to the bowls independent payout. Again I rarely know any answers, just spitballing.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Honestly, the only school that left the Big 12 that I would want back is Colorado. They left because of the chaos not because they thought the grass was greener. A&M, NU, and Mizzou can all **** off.

Watching Mizzou and Nebraska trying to figure out life without Texas recruiting has been quite enjoyable. Nebraska has the brand recognition and appears to be trending in the right direction but Mizzou is now the below average looking cousin at an Alabama wedding.

Colorado always wanted to be in the Pac 12, when they got the offer, they went, while the other 5 schools returned to the Big 12, that is all the proof you need. Colorado is not ever coming back, only way they would think about it is if the Pac 12 network continues to perform the way it has, and each school is 10' of millions of dollars less than what other conferences are getting. I would not bet it would even happen then. They are where they always wanted to be, a member of the PAC 12 conference.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.... Bring CU back, pick up Utah, BYU. Let WVU go to the ACC. They belong there with Pitt, UVA and VT. Get Arizona and Arizona State. Have a guaranteed cross division rival....

Like adding the AZ and CO schools, but the Big 12 does not need BYU.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
You are right, but for some reason everyone outside of the Big 12 doesnt think so. They all still think they are so stable and the Big 12 has one foot in the grave and our only saving grace is if the Pac saves us. Makes absolutely no sense. I see it as the other way around.

The fact that most people that yap about this topic either have an agenda they are trying to push or are completely ignorant about the stability of the Big 12 and PAC 12 doesn't change reality. Big 12 is stable and making good money, with OU and UT getting to call all the shots while making fairly close to $ they would make in the SEC or Big 10 when all things are considered.

PAC 12 is in deep trouble. They are horribly run and bleeding money. They have a timezone problem. Their football is not very strong and their basketball as straight garbage right now.

So both in terms of planning for the future and conference moves and poaching, the simplest way to look at it is value goes from being in high population centers to bringing eyeballs and people that actively seek out and subscribe to services to watch games. Rutgers is the best example of this shift. They go from cash cow to anchor in a conference scenario with shared revenues.

If future models are driven more by who actively subscribes and pays to watch a team or conference's games, will the value of being a "national brand" diminish? I believe college football fans overwhelmingly see their favorite team's games as appointment viewing, with all the rest being simply watching the most interesting game that happens to be on given their current channel options. For example, now a typical ISU fan might hang out and watch Clemson-Miami because it's on ABC or ESPN. If they have to make an effort or pay additional money to watch that game, it's much less likely to happen. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
But the deal does not run out until 2031, by then this will all be rapped up. What will happen is ESPN will add the LHN into what it already has with the rest of the conference and stream it. Pay UT the same amount, but keeping them in the conference.

https://awfulannouncing.com/league-networks/what-does-the-future-hold-for-longhorn-network.html

Man ESPN made one heck of a bad deal on the LHN. I think it gets folded in the 2024-25 time period with all the other anticipated change. There is no way they continue the same payment for a channel that flopped big time.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Man ESPN made one heck of a bad deal on the LHN. I think it gets folded in the 2024-25 time period with all the other anticipated change. There is no way they continue the same payment for a channel that flopped big time.

One small problem... ESPN signed a contract so either way they are still going to have to pay UT a crap ton of money.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Not a cupcake. A power 5 matchup. Make it part of the deal. The extra scheduling freedom could allow for restored rivalries such as ATM-Texas, Pitt-WVU, Kansas-Mizzou, etc.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron