Big 12 Network

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
This conference is going to implode and not exist in a couple years. Book it.

Robert-De-Niro-Oh-you.gif

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
While I don’t agree with gunner view...we will find out in 3 years if OU stays and the big 12 lives.. it is entirely on OU...TX has no desire to go anywhere..why would they.

OU on other hand can pick SEC or BIG...I find it hard to imagine the BIG accepting OU academically but this is all about $$ and major realignment 2.0 goes thru Norman..

Come 2022/23 ish Rutgers will be making $55 mil+ and OU likely $10 mil less per year. That won’t sit well.

Big 12 needs OU and TX to be consistent top 15 teams over next 3-4 years and making playoffs more times than not. Otherwise the big 12 has little bargaining power.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
While I don’t agree with gunner view...we will find out in 3 years if OU stays and the big 12 lives.. it is entirely on OU...TX has no desire to go anywhere..why would they.

OU on other hand can pick SEC or BIG...I find it hard to imagine the BIG accepting OU academically but this is all about $$ and major realignment 2.0 goes thru Norman..

Come 2022/23 ish Rutgers will be making $55 mil+ and OU likely $10 mil less per year. That won’t sit well.

Big 12 needs OU and TX to be consistent top 15 teams over next 3-4 years and making playoffs more times than not. Otherwise the big 12 has little bargaining power.

Big xii is supposed to be paying out 45MM like you said but tier three revenue is not added yet. OU is pushing 8-9MM right now with their tier 3s so they would the same or possibly better than Rutgers then.

• Agree
Reactions: JRE1975

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I still think the whole thing gets blown up in 2024-25. Too many contracts are all targeting that range. A break away from the NCAA seems likely and hopefully conferences are evened out and redivided by geography. Yes, this is more of a semi-pro design but that is what college is supposed to do, train young folks to become professionals. Most don't have the unique ability to bring in so much money while in the process.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Big xii is supposed to be paying out 45MM like you said but tier three revenue is not added yet. OU is pushing 8-9MM right now with their tier 3s so they would the same or possibly better than Rutgers then.

Any system where a school like Rutgers makes more money that a powerhouse like OU is an unstable system. That isn't sustainable.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Wasn’t there talk of cooperation between the Big12 and Pac12? That makes sense since both conferences are West of the Mississippi and both trail the Big10 and SEC in revenue.

That was back when the future of the Big 12 was uncertain and we were looking for a sense of stability. Fast forward 5+ years and the Big 12 is fine and the Pac 12 is facing that uncertainty. The California teams, particularly Cal and Stanford, dictate what happens in that conference. The conference insists on having its headquarters in downtown San Francisco, which is about the most expensive option there is and is literally a drain on what would otherwise be further payouts to each member school. Further, there are whispers (however true they are or not) that certain member schools, particularly the Arizona schools and Colorado, would be open to moving to the Big 12 if the opportunity presented itself.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Bingo.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
deace and miller just did a podcast remarking what great position big 12 was now in with its espn+ contract and how the conference is very stable for the first time in a long long time.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Come 2022/23 ish Rutgers will be making $55 mil+

On paper, maybe. Their single-year deficit in 2017 (institutional subsidies + student fees + revenue shortage + loans against future earnings) was over $47 million. Their AD is horribly mismanaged when it comes to finances.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
That would seem like a much better deal for the PAC-12 than us.
You are right, but for some reason everyone outside of the Big 12 doesnt think so. They all still think they are so stable and the Big 12 has one foot in the grave and our only saving grace is if the Pac saves us. Makes absolutely no sense. I see it as the other way around.

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
Or the Big12 could be proactive for once and actually expand, form divisions and renegotiate our contracts for a better deal. Like what everyone else is doing. Even with 10 teams we will soon be making 40mil per school, ahead of the ACC and Pac12.

I like this conference and I want to see it succeed. Only the B1G for ISU could possibly be a better option.

Go for it. Bring CU back, pick up Utah, BYU. Let WVU go to the ACC. They belong there with Pitt, UVA and VT. Get Arizona and Arizona State. Have a guaranteed cross division rival.

North:

Colorado
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Utah

South:

Arizona
Arizona State
BYU
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
Texas

Sure, this would fyck the Pac12 up but they can add Boise State, Nevada, UNLV, UNM or CSU for all I care. It annoys me that we are sitting here waiting for sh!t to happen.

Now the Big14 can have as much say as the SEC or B1G on a national stage. Beat them to the punch.

Wishful thinking but just a thought.

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

How sustainable is the B10 Network situation? Honest question. How does that go when fleecing non-viewers dies out with cable/satellite? The B10 will always have a money stream from somewhere, don't get me wrong, but just wondering.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
deace and miller just did a podcast remarking what great position big 12 was now in with its espn+ contract and how the conference is very stable for the first time in a long long time.
Well, Deace is smart so that makes me feel good. Miller agreeing with him does raise some concerns, however.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
How sustainable is the B10 Network situation? Honest question. How does that go when fleecing non-viewers dies out with cable/satellite? The B10 will always have a money stream from somewhere, don't get me wrong, but just wondering.

That's a good question. The cable model relies on population, which the Big10 footprint has. A streaming model relies on actual viewers willing to spend money to get it. While there are some loyal fanbases in the Big10, those metro areas that give them so much money now probably aren't as reliable going forward.