Chernobyl

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I don't have HBO so I won't be able to watch the series. Are there any good podcasts about the incident? I know some of the basics about it but would like to learn more about what happened.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I’ve enjoyed the show so much that I went and looked up Craig Mazin’s (writer, creator of the series) IMDb page to see what else he has done figuring he’s probably got something else interesting in his catalog. He was the writer of Scary Movie 3 and 4, The Hangover parts 2 and 3, and Identity Thief. This might now be my favorite thing about this series.

Mazin was also freshman roommates with Ted Cruz at Princeton and had this lovely character reference for the Senator.

“Ted knows that the one who has despised him the longest is me,” says Mazin, who was majoring in pre-med as Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev glimmered on the nightly news while his country disintegrated. “It took me minutes to loathe him. He is the most inauthentic, pointlessly ambitious person I’ve ever met. A total disregard for the truth.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...-chernobyl-20190503-story.html?outputType=amp

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Just finished the series finale and I must say it was quite good and satisfying. If I were to describe the show in one word I’d say ‘steady’, as in a steady high level of acting, revelations about the disaster and story pacing.

I like how at the end of the film the director showed real footage of the people in the show. Some of the resemblances were dead on.

Glad I watched it. HBO is king of TV.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Just finished the series finale and I must say it was quite good and satisfying. If I were to describe the show in one word I’d say ‘steady’, as in a steady high level of acting, revelations about the disaster and story pacing.

I like how at the end of the film the director showed real footage of the people in the show. Some of the resemblances were dead on.

I was amazed how the show was able to convey the basics of nuclear fission in a way that made sense enough that I feel like I could explain it to someone else. The courtroom scene with the red and blue checks and balances in the fission process was highly educational. I loved the mini-series, the entire thing was gut wrenching from start to finish.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
One of the best limited series I've ever seen. That second to last episodes with the animals left me gutted after all the previous horrible stuff with the humans obviously.

Yeah my girlfriend was in tears and I had to mute the TV until it was over. "They are pets, so they'll come to you" oofta.

The last episode was amazing. They did such a great job tying up all the plot lines. Even the explanation of the female scientist being "fake" but an aggregated representation of all the scientists who fought the "system" to make their concerns known.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Yeah my girlfriend was in tears and I had to mute the TV until it was over. "They are pets, so they'll come to you" oofta.

The last episode was amazing. They did such a great job tying up all the plot lines. Even the explanation of the female scientist being "fake" but an aggregated representation of all the scientists who fought the "system" to make their concerns known.

I thought that was amazing. Very well thought out idea and extremely well done.

I also go back to the first episode when they showed Valery's suicide, which they discussed after the show was a way to avoid feeling like they built up to it. I do think it would have felt like a sudden, late throw in if they had waited to the last episode to show that scene. Absolutely brutal miniseries, extremely well done.

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
I think it was on the Chernobyl podcast but one of the discussions stuck with me. I'm paraphrasing, but Mazin said the only country that could have caused this incident was the Soviet Union. But the only country that could mobilize 3/4 of a million people, send in "suicide squads", and clean everything up was the Soviet Union.

The amount of sacrifice, the "OK, let's just do this and get it over with" mentality was as fascinating to me as the incompetence of Dyatlov and the rest of the idiots.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I think it was on the Chernobyl podcast but one of the discussions stuck with me. I'm paraphrasing, but Mazin said the only country that could have caused this incident was the Soviet Union. But the only country that could mobilize 3/4 of a million people, send in "suicide squads", and clean everything up was the Soviet Union.

The amount of sacrifice, the "OK, let's just do this and get it over with" mentality was as fascinating to me as the incompetence of Dyatlov and the rest of the idiots.
I thought about this quite a bit during the entire mini-series: If the same thing happened in the US, would the people be as selfless and willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good? I really don’t know the answer. The russians have never been afraid of throwing bodies at a problem though.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I thought about this quite a bit during the entire mini-series: If the same thing happened in the US, would the people be as selfless and willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good? I really don’t know the answer. The russians have never been afraid of throwing bodies at a problem though.

No we wouldn't

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Easy answer, NO we would not, but we also have the technology so that our leaders would never have to ask that of our citizens or soldiers.

Overall a great show, it striking that the Soviets were that far behind the West, and we still feared them. Living through the era, that is one of the things we always thought about, and it was all a lie. No containment around the nuclear reactor, using different metals in the tips of the control rods, all to save money. Then when the accident happened, everyone said it was under control and no need to worry. Its like today, people want to believe the lies more than face the truth. People wonder why we need government regulation, this shows what can happen when corporations are allowed to do as they please without safety concerns. The only difference was in the Soviet Union, it was the government calling the shots not a large multinational corporation that has bought off federal employees and elected officals with campaign donations.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012

Well worth the money, I think.

Help Support Us

Become a patron