Cam Lard Going Pro, Signing with Agent

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Agreed but those players were also likely more talented. Lard showed flashes, no doubt, but at the end of the day he averaged 9.4 ppg 5.7 rpg 1.7 bpg and 3 fouls in 20 mpg. Pretty good but I dont know if a p6 program was going to make a investment in him as a sit 1 play 1
That's true, I keep forgetting he already basically used a red shirt year. I was thinking he had two years of eligibility left. I still think he was a top 2-3 player on the team from a talent standpoint, he just couldn't get it together mentally for whatever reason. He was our best player at times during his freshman season.

Reactions: Messi

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That's true, I keep forgetting he already basically used a red shirt year. I was thinking he had two years of eligibility left. I still think he was a top 2-3 player on the team from a talent standpoint, he just couldn't get it together mentally for whatever reason. He was our best player at times during his freshman season.

Good Lard was a first-team all-Big 12 level guy.

Bad Lard was fouling out in eight minutes.

Didn't seem to be much between the two, either.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
We’ve had players get arrested for DUI’s and stay on the team. To me, that is worse than weed related charges. I’m not saying Cam was perfect but he had no violent charges or anything too serious on the legal side of things.
I agree with you here, however; from everything I've heard, the extent of his baggage came from his attitude, and quite honestly, I think his marijuana use was a big factor in his attitude.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: ComCY and Messi

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Agreed but those players were also likely more talented. Lard showed flashes, no doubt, but at the end of the day he averaged 9.4 ppg 5.7 rpg 1.7 bpg and 3 fouls in 20 mpg. Pretty good but I dont know if a p6 program was going to make a investment in him as a sit 1 play 1
Maybe. But Iowa St also gave a scholarship to Ray Kasongo. I know, desperate times then, but there's always schools with open scholarships.

I know it would never happen because of the relationship between the schools, but as an example, look at Iowa. Three open scholarships, why not give him one. If he's a pain in the ass during his sit out year, kick him out. It only cost a one year scholarship, that you weren't going to use anyway.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
You’re good. I was more so referencing the comment about loyalty means not getting suspended and the sarcastic post about buying into Cam’s reasoning. I don’t think Cam has anything negative to say about ISU or the fans. I truly think he wishes he was still here. Part of me thinks it wasn’t his decision to leave. He’s always posting old highlights and reminiscing about his good times here. Bottom line is he seems like a good dude who just simply made mistakes and I wish everyone would be able to support him still. When I used to make CCL highlights for the team, Cam was always super nice during the process so maybe it’s just easier for me to forgive him for his mistakes than others because I have good experiences with him. I really wish it worked out for him here.
Did he finish classes this semester? Anyone know?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I hope Cam gets to place basketball and make some $$$ somewhere. Whether that's in Europe or wherever, the dude has some talent.

Best of luck to him.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CYKXBUT

Jul 21, 2006
Maybe. But Iowa St also gave a scholarship to Ray Kasongo. I know, desperate times then, but there's always schools with open scholarships.

I know it would never happen because of the relationship between the schools, but as an example, look at Iowa. Three open scholarships, why not give him one. If he's a pain in the ass during his sit out year, kick him out. It only cost a one year scholarship, that you weren't going to use anyway.
What? Are they out of walk-ons to give the scholarships to?