Future bowl tie ins

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Vegas should have 3 bowls in the new stadium.
Armed Forces should be moved to a military town like San Diego. Heck I’d settle for Colorado Springs, at least then we can all go skiing.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That news was underwhelming.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Can the Big 12 get more bowls not in the state of Texas?.

I think it comes down to the fact that aside from OU\UT we have a good number of programs that aren't really huge media draws, and we have some small schools that can't really be counted on to bring attendance to the games either.

The texas bowls probably know that they have a high chance that the teams involved will at least bring fans. Texas, Baylor, TCU, and Tech are all in-state, and everyone but WVU has decently reasonable drives for a lot of fans. So they bid up more than coastal bowls, and the big 12 then rewards them.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This all goes back to the Dan Beebe Big 12 commissioner era. He did NOTHING to improve the conference position. Obviously his role or lack there of in conference realignment is well documented but his lack of effort regarding Big 12 bowl tie ins was pathetic. Bowlsby has done an amazing job patching things up but unfortunately the bowl affiliations are locked in.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I think it comes down to the fact that aside from OU\UT we have a good number of programs that aren't really huge media draws, and we have some small schools that can't really be counted on to bring attendance to the games either.

The texas bowls probably know that they have a high chance that the teams involved will at least bring fans. Texas, Baylor, TCU, and Tech are all in-state, and everyone but WVU has decently reasonable drives for a lot of fans. So they bid up more than coastal bowls, and the big 12 then rewards them.

The Alamo Bowl says "hi":

PULLMAN AND AMES aren’t exactly big TV markets, and Friday nights usually pull in smallish numbers of viewers. But viewership soared for the No. 12/13 Washington State’s thrilling win over No. 24 Iowa State in the Alamo Bowl.

WSU-Iowa State on Friday night scored 5.547 million viewers, according to Sports Media Watch – up a head-turning 28 percent from last year’s Alamo Bowl, (TCU-Stanford: 4.33 million).

It also represented a 22 percent climb from two years ago (Oklahoma State-Colorado: 4.55 million), and WSU-ISU pulled in the largest audience for the Alamo Bowl since the 2015-16 season (TCU-Oregon: 7.41M).

The ratings for the Dec. 31 and Jan. 1 bowl games aren’t in yet. As of press time, the Alamo Bowl was the most watched non-NY6 bowl game -- fourth out of 27 bowls -- behind the Peach (Florida-Michigan) and the two semifinal playoff games (Cotton: Clemson-Notre Dame) and (Orange: Alabama-Oklahoma).

The announced attendance for the Alamo Bowl was 60,675.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The Alamo Bowl says "hi":

PULLMAN AND AMES aren’t exactly big TV markets, and Friday nights usually pull in smallish numbers of viewers. But viewership soared for the No. 12/13 Washington State’s thrilling win over No. 24 Iowa State in the Alamo Bowl.

WSU-Iowa State on Friday night scored 5.547 million viewers, according to Sports Media Watch – up a head-turning 28 percent from last year’s Alamo Bowl, (TCU-Stanford: 4.33 million).

It also represented a 22 percent climb from two years ago (Oklahoma State-Colorado: 4.55 million), and WSU-ISU pulled in the largest audience for the Alamo Bowl since the 2015-16 season (TCU-Oregon: 7.41M).

The ratings for the Dec. 31 and Jan. 1 bowl games aren’t in yet. As of press time, the Alamo Bowl was the most watched non-NY6 bowl game -- fourth out of 27 bowls -- behind the Peach (Florida-Michigan) and the two semifinal playoff games (Cotton: Clemson-Notre Dame) and (Orange: Alabama-Oklahoma).

The announced attendance for the Alamo Bowl was 60,675.
Going forward if the Alamo can't choose OU or TX, they are going to continue to take a strong look at ISU, as they should.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
I like the Holiday bowl for the history but understand its played in a dump, maybe try to get in the Music City and out of the Liberty for a while, also I dont mind the Camping World Bowl it seems really high in the pecking order so swapping that out for something comparable