Ryan Anderson

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I don’t like the track record of guys that don’t meet D1 eligibility getting their AA and then having successful D1 careers. If you can’t figure out how to meet those eligibility standards, at a prep school no less, now you’re going to make it in your own in college?

Doubt we ever see him in an ISU singlet.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
They just had the 6th ranked class according to Flo, they couldn’t have foreseen Anderson not getting accepted when they accepted his commitment. David Carr is a blue chip. We have a very young team with a lot of money already tied up. We are sitting very good with the #1 overall recruit for 2021. I’m not worried about the staffs recruiting yet
What do you think the class is ranked without Anderson? Fringe 20? And I mentioned outside of legacy recruits for a reason. Because we had a good chance of landing Carr no matter who was coaching.

As far as the staff not knowing he wouldn't qualify that is probably only partially true. A good coaching staff knows what recruits are at risk of not making it. I don't disagree with them taking a chance on Anderson based on raw talent, it just sucks. Usually going over admission requirements is all part of the recruiting process.

This staff has overachieved and I am not calling out the dogs. I just want to get some higher rated guys in there, because what they have done with what we have has been incredible, and would only get better with higher level recruits. Anderson was perfect because he was excellent but was far from a finished product. I don't think the kid ever cut weight.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 9104Griffith

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Their recruiting has been fine up to this point. Needs to keep improving if we want to be a legit contender but hard to expect them to take over a 1 dual win team and immediately bring in several top guys every year. It's a process and I think we're in a pretty good spot at this point in the process.
You say that but the Paulsons were on that 1 dual win staff and had Verkleeren, Gomez, Allar, and Ethan Smith ready to come to ISU. They had almost zero resume to recruit with. Recruiting is a weird thing, and some people can do it and others cant. I want to believe this group can, but I am going to have to see a blue chip that isn't following in the footsteps of his entire family come first.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
You say that but the Paulsons were on that 1 dual win staff and had Verkleeren, Gomez, Allar, and Ethan Smith ready to come to ISU. They had almost zero resume to recruit with. Recruiting is a weird thing, and some people can do it and others cant. I want to believe this group can, but I am going to have to see a blue chip that isn't following in the footsteps of his entire family come first.
I'll take the staff that can coach guys to wrestle hard and overachieve. Don't get me wrong I'm obviously hoping they can pull quite a few blue chips as well.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

The Paulsons were coaching many of the Junior and/or cadet teams that these HS kids were on, that was their in on many of them.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
They just had the 6th ranked class according to Flo, they couldn’t have foreseen Anderson not getting accepted when they accepted his commitment. David Carr is a blue chip. We have a very young team with a lot of money already tied up. We are sitting very good with the #1 overall recruit for 2021. I’m not worried about the staffs recruiting yet

I don't agree with that guys point but the staff was very aware Anderson was an academic risk.

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
What I can contribute to this conversation is that Andersen is most likely going to be headed to a juco school. ISU probably isn’t a possibility anymore. Which of course this leaves room for him going to Iowa State eventually but that’s obviously a whole different conversation for another time.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
What I can contribute to this conversation is that Andersen is most likely going to be headed to a juco school. ISU probably isn’t a possibility anymore. Which of course this leaves room for him going to Iowa State eventually but that’s obviously a whole different conversation for another time.
Good info. Has to free up some money. Wonder if there are any transfers out there waiting?

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Any news on where Anderson is going to school at?
I'm hearing most likely a juco out east - I'm not expecting him to ever wrestle for ISU or maybe even in D1, which really sucks for us, him and the sport, because he is a blast to watch.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
What's the advantage of attending a D-III instead of a Juco if his intentions were to become D-I eligible?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I have no idea if he has any interest in being D1 eligible. I met him while he was on his recruiting visit. He was a quirky and nice kid to talk to. I am glad he is finding success on the mat.