Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Pretty much mandatory.
I have been a Hawk hater for a 10-12 years. I admit it. That said I tried watching Iowa bball so I could laugh at my Hawk friends. I tried 2-3 games but it was so painful to watch I could not even laugh at my Hawk friends. I was sad for them. Lick wasn't a bad guy. He was just not a good fit for B10 ball. I sorta feel bad for the guy. I read an article last year that was "the worst D1 coaches of all time" and he was in the Top 20.

• Informative
Reactions: dexterhawk

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I have been a Hawk hater for a 10-12 years. I admit it. That said I tried watching Iowa bball so I could laugh at my Hawk friends. I tried 2-3 games but it was so painful to watch I could not even laugh at my Hawk friends. I was sad for them. Lick wasn't a bad guy. He was just not a good fit for B10 ball. I sorta feel bad for the guy. I read an article last year that was "the worst D1 coaches of all time" and he was in the Top 20.
Yeah, those years were difficult.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Where would they be right now if Weiskamp didnt grow up an enormous Hawkeye fan? He saved Frans job. Buy that kid a beer if you ever run into him people!

Outside of lifelong Hawk fan Weiskamp and his two sons his recruiting has been literal dog crap the past five years.
Imagine if we had Connor on our team and CSP relied on him for 18mpg? The vitriol toward Prohm would be "through the roof." CFers would completely lose it (and rightfully so). PatMac's value & recruit rankings are yet to be determined. Other than Cook and JW, Fran's recruiting is/has been complete dog crap. The only reason Foster is still in the picture for the Hoks is due to fandom & family connections to EIU, imo. That is why Fran's roster is littered with the Baers and Tills of the basketball landscape.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

I actually thought he was a good hire at the time, but man was he beyond awful.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Imagine if we had Connor on our team and CSP relied on him for 18mpg? The vitriol toward Prohm would be "through the roof." CFers would completely lose it (and rightfully so). PatMac's value & recruit rankings are yet to be determined. Other than Cook and JW, Fran's recruiting is/has been complete dog crap. The only reason Foster is still in the picture for the Hoks is due to fandom & family connections to EIU, imo. That is why Fran's roster is littered with the Baers and Tills of the basketball landscape.

Fran doesn't get credit for JW, he fell in his lap.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
On paper that was a fantastic hire much like McDoormat...
Pretty similar. TBH, Greg being a .500 coach in the Big East is probably better than I thought he could be and he hasn't had a losing conference record since Dougie graduated which is mind blowing. He's also had a lot of injuries there.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
JFC, you cant't make this stuff up.

"Since no one mentioned it, Evelyn’s game is significantly different than Moss’s. When healthy he is much more physical and can score through contact. He has a much better handle and assists the ball well. Bakari is very quick for his size, and gets his shot off quickly. If he chooses Iowa and his ( healthy) game translates to the Big Ten, then I would see it as an underrated fit and would expect some crow eating by clone fans."

Repeating because it's so unreal and paraphrasing, but guy I was sitting next to on the night of ISU/KSU and Iowa/Michigan Conference tourneys on Garza:

'Yeah, he's really athletic for a guy his size'.

Michigan's players were like 'Nope' and guy next to me left at halftime.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Where would they be right now if Weiskamp didnt grow up an enormous Hawkeye fan? He saved Frans job. Buy that kid a beer if you ever run into him people!

Outside of lifelong Hawk fan Weiskamp and his two sons his recruiting has been literal dog crap the past five years.

Um, bolded would not be included in good recruiting.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Found a pic of the spin machine...

2922b0fe-f7c3-11de-84ea-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg
And he was still better than Connor.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Hawkeye fans on the message boards are drowning themselves in the hype about Evelyn and I for one am amused by it.

Pinning their hopes and dreams on a lower tier transfer. I noticed all the color commentary about him to from the HFOE.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Um, bolded would not be included in good recruiting.
Got it in one...one could argue that this is one of the main reasons that Hok recruiting has sucked this spring as who would want to go there to compete for playing time against the coach's two sons.

Well, that and Fran sucks as a coach...

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
C'mon Iowa, if you're no longer going to do the 'the right way', you should at least someone who is decent like you did when you tampered and got Uthoff.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Hawkeye fans on the message boards are drowning themselves in the hype about Evelyn and I for one am amused by it.
Honestly I would be excited too if I were a Hawk fan to get a player that's not from the state of Iowa. Right now, Iowa's current roster shows 9 of the 14 players will be in-state recruits. Is this guy going to come in and be good? No, probably not. Is he going to do better than giving significant minutes to a hometown walk-on? Most likely.

Reactions: Cytown12

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron