USA Today Preseason Top 25, Hoks Drop Out, Tears Shed

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Apparently, we've stopped recruiting at the RB and WR position and have no one with any talent left on the roster.
Considering we brought in one of the best RB classes in all of CFB, have already reloaded at the WR position with proven ability as well as having good WR recruits waiting their turn, that post was pretty uneducated.

• Funny
Reactions: Darling Picky

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Considering we brought in one of the best RB classes in all of CFB, have already reloaded at the WR position with proven ability as well as having good WR recruits waiting their turn, that post was pretty uneducated.

methinks you didn't read how he said what he said in the way he intended it. o_O

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
methinks you didn't read how he said what he said in the way he intended it. o_O
My reply wasn't towards his it was towards the person he replied to. I should have just replied his entire quote. I'm still learning here. :D

Reactions: Gossamer

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
It's all over.

EdibleGreedyCottonmouth-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: CycloneErik

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Mods should move this thread to the In-State Rivals forum...

Seriously, the obsession that some of the members of this forum have with Iowa is unhealthy, and getting to the point that they are just as bad, and if not worse that the Iowa fans that they like to poke so much fun at.

This article should be about how the Cyclones keep getting recognition and are even climbing in the eyes of the national media in the off-season! But no, its about how the Hawkeyes slipped out.

It's threads like this that make me have to take breaks from these forums.
I LOVE threads like this. My hatred for TOE burns hot like the surface of the sun. I am a terrible sports fan when it comes to rooting against the hoks. Just ask Mrs. Gaggi …

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
How many more football/basketball losses to Iowa until you guys stop using this sorry excuse for consistently losing to a 'worse' program? Hire a coach who makes your players care about winning rivalry games.

Hoks have gone from “its ISU’s super bowl” to now defending why it’s actually their super bowl. Good stuff.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
How many more football/basketball losses to Iowa until you guys stop using this sorry excuse for consistently losing to a 'worse' program? Hire a coach who makes your players care about winning rivalry games.
I think we're fine with our current MBB and football coaches... I think most Iowa State fans are also fine having Iowa's coaches in their current positions too.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I really think the biggest stat is the number of Iowa high school kids choosing to go to ISU over Iowa the last several years and still continuing. That is huge.

I can't tell you how many kids I've known over the last several years that grew up as Hawk fans over here in eastern Iowa and planned on attending there, but after visiting both schools ended up going to ISU instead and did not regret it. To a kid, they all said their visits to ISU were SO much better than their visits to Iowa. They were treated so much better, and they had never set foot on ISU's campus before and never realized just how beautiful it was and how terrible Iowa's campus is in comparison.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Side note --

I was listening to Hawkeye Nation and its podcast about the state of the ISU and Iowa athletics programs last night at the gym. I know Tweedledee and Tweedledum are obnoxious, but they can be enjoyable or insightful to listen to under two circumstances...

(1.) When Iowa loses -- man, that schadenfreude is great. Listening to the aftermath of the game when Kirk gave us two shots at a FG with that timeout... priceless.

(2.) They do put out some decent stuff on the national college football and college basketball scenes. CW and CF tend to stay focused on Iowa State and the Big 12, so I like to hear what other Iowans (even if obnoxious Hawks) think sometimes.

They had a hard time concluding that Iowa State was in worse shape than Iowa as a department. Heck, while they did not come out and say it, they actually made a pretty compelling case that Iowa State is in much better shape right now...

-- the Big 12 is going to be the first conference into the digital age
-- the Big Ten Network is still a cash cow, but its best days are probably behind it
-- the instability of the Big 12 is a distant memory now, and the trump card they had of the stability of the Big Ten is no longer a trump card, it is a wash
-- the football programs and facilities are comparable... which seeing a Hawkeye admit that is a big step... with Campbell giving ISU a much brighter future
-- Jack Trice can stand up to Kinnick now, is only 5,000ish seats fewer at full capacity, and has a much better parking and tailgating situation right now
-- ISU has a much better basketball program
-- Carver is a dump and needs replacement; Hilton is one of the premier facilities in the country for basketball... huge advantage for Iowa State there
-- Iowa State is closer to the growing population center of the state and the professional services cluster in Des Moines, while Iowa is anchored more to the stagnant industrial cities in the eastern part of the state with weakening manufacturing sectors
-- Iowa is closer to Chicago, but ISU is closer to Minneapolis, Omaha, and Kansas City, and Des Moines has the best airport in the state
-- Iowa is bogged down with ineffective leadership at the top, and the recent spat of lawsuits about hostile work environments from coaches is a very bad sign

We are starting to run even with them now, if not ahead.
Link?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Seriously, the obsession that some of the members of this forum have with Iowa is unhealthy, and getting to the point that they are just as bad, and if not worse that the Iowa fans that they like to poke so much fun at.

This article should be about how the Cyclones keep getting recognition and are even climbing in the eyes of the national media in the off-season! But no, its about how the Hawkeyes slipped out.

Agree.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Side note --

I was listening to Hawkeye Nation and its podcast about the state of the ISU and Iowa athletics programs last night at the gym. I know Tweedledee and Tweedledum are obnoxious, but they can be enjoyable or insightful to listen to under two circumstances...

(1.) When Iowa loses -- man, that schadenfreude is great. Listening to the aftermath of the game when Kirk gave us two shots at a FG with that timeout... priceless.

(2.) They do put out some decent stuff on the national college football and college basketball scenes. CW and CF tend to stay focused on Iowa State and the Big 12, so I like to hear what other Iowans (even if obnoxious Hawks) think sometimes.

They had a hard time concluding that Iowa State was in worse shape than Iowa as a department. Heck, while they did not come out and say it, they actually made a pretty compelling case that Iowa State is in much better shape right now...

-- the Big 12 is going to be the first conference into the digital age
-- the Big Ten Network is still a cash cow, but its best days are probably behind it
-- the instability of the Big 12 is a distant memory now, and the trump card they had of the stability of the Big Ten is no longer a trump card, it is a wash
-- the football programs and facilities are comparable... which seeing a Hawkeye admit that is a big step... with Campbell giving ISU a much brighter future
-- Jack Trice can stand up to Kinnick now, is only 5,000ish seats fewer at full capacity, and has a much better parking and tailgating situation right now
-- ISU has a much better basketball program
-- Carver is a dump and needs replacement; Hilton is one of the premier facilities in the country for basketball... huge advantage for Iowa State there
-- Iowa State is closer to the growing population center of the state and the professional services cluster in Des Moines, while Iowa is anchored more to the stagnant industrial cities in the eastern part of the state with weakening manufacturing sectors
-- Iowa is closer to Chicago, but ISU is closer to Minneapolis, Omaha, and Kansas City, and Des Moines has the best airport in the state
-- Iowa is bogged down with ineffective leadership at the top, and the recent spat of lawsuits about hostile work environments from coaches is a very bad sign

We are starting to run even with them now, if not ahead.
You said “When Iowa loses”. No three words sounds better together than that.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado

Completely agree!

• Funny
Reactions: IASTATE07

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron