WWE NXT TakeOver: XXV/WWE Stomping Grounds/AEW Double or Nothing Thread

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The other thing I was going to post, after letting the Jericho-Mox podcast resonate for a few hours, is after that podcast I’m really done with people like Austin and The Rock defending Vince to the hilt, accusing today’s talent of not reaching for the brass ring, and for not going to Vince when they have issues with their story or ideas to improve themselves and the product. I mean, what the hell else was Jon supposed to do? That’s exactly what he did, and all he ever got from Vince is “but that’s just you”.

If this is the story of one of Vince’s biggest money makers and best performers, it’s no wonder there is reportedly a significant morality problem in WWE’s locker room. This is Chris Jericho/Eddie Guerrero/Dean Malenko/Perry Saturn/Chris Benoit escaping from the WCW locker room levels of bad - the difference being now when WWE talents ask for their releases Vince is having contracts extended for talent missing months at a time due to injuries sustained on the job.

When I returned to watching WWE a little more than 4 years ago now, I knew things weren’t great, but at least there were some redeeming qualities to it. The only reason why I’m still sticking with it is at least SmackDown puts on a decent episode every so often (in spite of Raw killing its viewership weekly), and NXT and NXT UK, in spite of occasional misses, regularly airs quality programs such that I have hope that HHH can turn things around if and when the reins are finally turned over to him.

Until then, I really can’t wait until this fall. As of right now AEW has my full attention.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The SA shows exist in another universe.

Corruption runs wild.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
To add to the previous post, there were three things that got me back into WWE in January 2015: Sting’s WWE debut (something I thought would never happen), Paige (i had been watching WWE videos on and off for a few months prior to tuning back in and she was one of the things that piqued my interest), and Dean Ambrose (the first wrestler from this generation that I really connected with. I liked Paige, but I didn’t really connect with her like I did with Dean). Sadly, just 4 years later, by and large those 3 things are now gone.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
The other thing I was going to post, after letting the Jericho-Mox podcast resonate for a few hours, is after that podcast I’m really done with people like Austin and The Rock defending Vince to the hilt, accusing today’s talent of not reaching for the brass ring, and for not going to Vince when they have issues with their story or ideas to improve themselves and the product. I mean, what the hell else was Jon supposed to do? That’s exactly what he did, and all he ever got from Vince is “but that’s just you”.

If this is the story of one of Vince’s biggest money makers and best performers, it’s no wonder there is reportedly a significant morality problem in WWE’s locker room. This is Chris Jericho/Eddie Guerrero/Dean Malenko/Perry Saturn/Chris Benoit escaping from the WCW locker room levels of bad - the difference being now when WWE talents ask for their releases Vince is having contracts extended for talent missing months at a time due to injuries sustained on the job.

When I returned to watching WWE a little more than 4 years ago now, I knew things weren’t great, but at least there were some redeeming qualities to it. The only reason why I’m still sticking with it is at least SmackDown puts on a decent episode every so often (in spite of Raw killing its viewership weekly), and NXT and NXT UK, in spite of occasional misses, regularly airs quality programs such that I have hope that HHH can turn things around if and when the reins are finally turned over to him.

Until then, I really can’t wait until this fall. As of right now AEW has my full attention.
Just basically confirms what I always assumed but hoped I was at least somewhat wrong and that is Vince really is an arrogant piece of ****. He has only been concerned with keeping advertisers, little kids, their parents, and Saudi royalty happy so he can make as much money as possible. Unfortunately for him, he's so arrogant he never considered the possibility of a legit competitor coming up and biting him in the ass. Feel bad for HHH but love how AEW is making Vince pay for all of his bull ****. WWE will get back where it belongs eventually but it will be because of HHH and his willingness to adapt the product to appeal to the modern fan. Unless Vince does a total 180 and starts caring about what the fans want to see, he's done for.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Just basically confirms what I always assumed but hoped I was at least somewhat wrong and that is Vince really is an arrogant piece of ****. He has only been concerned with keeping advertisers, little kids, their parents, and Saudi royalty happy so he can make as much money as possible. Unfortunately for him, he's so arrogant he never considered the possibility of a legit competitor coming up and biting him in the ass. Feel bad for HHH but love how AEW is making Vince pay for all of his bull ****. WWE will get back where it belongs eventually but it will be because of HHH and his willingness to adapt the product to appeal to the modern fan. Unless Vince does a total 180 and starts caring about what the fans want to see, he's done for.

I think secretly HHH loves the idea of AEW. He is so in tune with the industry in a way that Vince isn’t that he understands that WWE was at its best when it had competition, and I think he was hoping that NXT wouldn't just be developmental, but the kick in the ass WWE needed to get with the times. Unfortunately it hasn’t worked out that way, mostly because Vince barely even acknowledges NXT even exists. I just get the feeling that if HHH wasn’t tied to WWE at the hip (figuratively and literally) that he’d be all over the AEW product, and I can’t help but think that, while everyone else was screaming “shots fired”, he nodded in approval when Cody took a sledge hammer to an appropriately themed throne during his intro at Double or Nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: HitItHard58

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Remember, Vince is a businessman first, an entertainer/character second and a wrestling fan third.

He doesn't have the love for wrestling that his father and grandfather had or, even, what Shane and Stephanie have. He was in it to build an empire and take over as much as he could as quickly as he could. Vince is damn proud of killing the territories and then killing off WCW, never mind that the vast majority was self-inflicted in both cases.

I'm kind of hopeful that bringing Bruce Prichard back on board will help him filter out some of the 'noise' and go back to cogent, consistent storytelling.

AEW is a ways off from being a 'competitor' but hopefully it lights a fire under Vince to get back to what he used to be really good at.

Reactions: mj4cy

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I think secretly HHH loves the idea of AEW. He is so in tune with the industry in a way that Vince isn’t that he understands that WWE was at its best when it had competition, and I think he was hoping that NXT wouldn't just be developmental, but the kick in the ass WWE needed to get with the times. Unfortunately it hasn’t worked out that way, mostly because Vince barely even acknowledges NXT even exists. I just get the feeling that if HHH wasn’t tied to WWE at the hip (figuratively and literally) that he’d be all over the AEW product, and I can’t help but think that, while everyone else was screaming “shots fired”, he nodded in approval when Cody took a sledge hammer to an appropriately themed throne during his intro at Double or Nothing.

Exactly because he did the same back in the day to WCW with DX.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Where/when can one watch AEW?
Weekly TV starts in October most likely on Tuesdays on TNT. If you want to watch Double or Nothing, pretty sure you can still get it through B/R Live for $50 or there are streaming sites that are not so much on the up and up but free if you're ok with that sort of thing. Fyter Fest on June 29th, Fight for the Fallen July 13th, and All Out August 31st will all be available on B/R Live but no pricing info is available yet. You can watch the weekly Being the Elite episodes on YouTube to keep up with story lines and I'm sure there will be another YouTube show leading up to All Out similar to Road to Double or Nothing.

• Informative
Reactions: mj4cy

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
30 some minutes in, I knew he was going to reference the scene where a dr. has to give him shots as a turning point. That (Dean) heel run should have been money but only WWE could take something like that and **** it up.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Remember, Vince is a businessman first, an entertainer/character second and a wrestling fan third.

He doesn't have the love for wrestling that his father and grandfather had or, even, what Shane and Stephanie have. He was in it to build an empire and take over as much as he could as quickly as he could. Vince is damn proud of killing the territories and then killing off WCW, never mind that the vast majority was self-inflicted in both cases.

I'm kind of hopeful that bringing Bruce Prichard back on board will help him filter out some of the 'noise' and go back to cogent, consistent storytelling.

AEW is a ways off from being a 'competitor' but hopefully it lights a fire under Vince to get back to what he used to be really good at.

Prichard has been back for a few months now. Still waiting for an overall impact to be felt. The problem is Prichard faces the same challenges everyone else does - everything has to cross the desk of someone more immature than an average 5 year old. The same man who likes to rewrite entire shows in the final minutes leading up to a show because he personally finds it funny.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Just listened to Talk is Jericho with Moxley. None of it shocking but still baffling to hear from someone who experienced forst hand just how out of touch Vince really is. "But that's you! You're different! That's why they connect with you!" No Vince we connected with Dean because we could tell there was a great performer buried underneath all the terrible **** you saddled him with. Guy had to make chicken salad out of chicken **** literally all the time.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Just listened to Talk is Jericho with Moxley. None of it shocking but still baffling to hear from someone who experienced forst hand just how out of touch Vince really is. "But that's you! You're different! That's why they connect with you!" No Vince we connected with Dean because we could tell there was a great performer buried underneath all the terrible **** you saddled him with. Guy had to make chicken salad out of chicken **** literally all the time.

Listened to it Wed. afternoon. Props to him as he was critical but it wasn't as bad as the shoots Punk did after being done with wwe.

Vince pushes Roman down our throats when truth be told and I love Seth but Dean IMO was best of the shield trio.

Vince is living in the past and that will bite him if/when AEW gets going because the stuff he did to get over on WCW can't be done today. Also WCW's demise truthfully was more WCW's own doing than WWE. The handling of things behind the scenes in WCW allowed guys like Jericho, Eddie, Benoit to leave WCW for WWE. I don't see that happening in AEW. With AEW the opposite will be likely to happen that WWE guys feeling unfulfilled will try to leave for AEW.

A podcast I listen to made a good point that when TNA started up in 2002 WWE still had a solid roster. AEW has a much better shot because the current wwe roster isn't anywhere close to that 2002 roster.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Been on a wrestling podcast binge. Found Busted Open Radio which is Dave LaGreca and rotation of Mark Henry, Bubba Ray and Tommy Dreamer.

First clip is Jericho on Busted Open kind of shooting on WWE himself. Said that turning point for him was that his epic storyline to Mania with Kevin Owens ended up being the 2nd match on the Mania card when it was supposedly going to be of the the main events.

This one is the Busted Open following Double or Nothing with Bubba in the host chair and made some great points. He likens AEW to the Old ECW a new company that was the cool thing. Also great line of saying the Dean Ambrose character was a watered down Jon Moxley.

https://www.siriusxm.com/clips/asse...41-4d46-b167-c44b02c17e3e.mp3?platform=iTunes

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Been on a wrestling podcast binge. Found Busted Open Radio which is Dave LaGreca and rotation of Mark Henry, Bubba Ray and Tommy Dreamer.

First clip is Jericho on Busted Open kind of shooting on WWE himself. Said that turning point for him was that his epic storyline to Mania with Kevin Owens ended up being the 2nd match on the Mania card when it was supposedly going to be of the the main events.

This one is the Busted Open following Double or Nothing with Bubba in the host chair and made some great points. He likens AEW to the Old ECW a new company that was the cool thing. Also great line of saying the Dean Ambrose character was a watered down Jon Moxley.

https://www.siriusxm.com/clips/asse...41-4d46-b167-c44b02c17e3e.mp3?platform=iTunes

IMO “watered-down Moxley” is a poor description of what Ambrose ended up being. FCW Ambrose, particularly his feud with Regal, is what “PG Era Moxley” should have been. Even original run Shield Ambrose was a good take on what PG Moxley could have been. Then they broke up the Shield and Ambrose got over and in 5 years Vince was never able to figure out what made him so over. Newsflash - it wasn’t the “goofy ****” Vince made him do (although some of the early stuff, like Ambrose stealing Seth’s MITB case, then filling it with exploding green slime, was pretty good). It was the psychological edge that Moxley had that Ambrose was never allowed to run with on the main roster. The “I’m going to put myself through a world of hurt just so I can destroy you on a physical and psychological level” thing, the closest of which was the early part of the Brock Lesnar feud that was absolutely buried so that youngster Lesnar could move up the food chain.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
WWE live stream of the WWE Performance Center Combine.
" NXT Superstars and WWE Performance Center recruits put their strength and conditioning to the test in a battery of athletic events."

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
Anyone else catch that line from Nigel at the start of the show? Saying that NXT is the true alternative in sports entertainment? Wonder how many subtle references are gonna be thrown tonight.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron