RECRUITING INSIDER: Rasir Bolton decision coming soon (commits!)

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Don't sleep on Zion. The injury set him back last year, I think he will be much improved.

IMO what will be interesting is Solo and Jacobson if it come down to who starts vs who comes off the bench.. 2 year starter vs 1 year starter. Solo turned around the team his freshman year, is a better defender against big 12 level post players and lost his spot due to injury. Jacobson had a great year last year, is better scorer and rebounded.

Yeah, I think Zion has a chance if he puts in the work. He had to probably adjust the most of the freshman to college because he was used to being a post in HS.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If you put Lewis on a worse team he would have put up points. I don't think you can just assume because he scored 11 points per game for a not so good Penn State team that he is the immediate starter.
Well sure I agree with that and we'll see how everything plays out.. But Bolton has probably proven a bit more than Lewis. Bolton is a 36% three point shooter and was only a freshman, while Lewis has had two years now to be able to prove that he should see the floor, but his inconsistent 3 pt shooting (29.6%) and poor defending has kept his minutes down. If Lewis can be consistent all around, no doubt him and Bolton will battle for that spot.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
IMO the early non con games are going to be crucial for Lewis. Obviously he had some set backs last year but it just seems like when he does get on the court he feels pressure to really stick out. I still think the dude has a ton of potential but he just needs some time to get in the flow.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
People who lose talent always say team chemistry will be better and there won't be as much shot hunting.

However, somebody has to take tough shots, especially if a team lacks guys who can break people down off the dribble.

We were 9th in the country in offensive efficiency last year. We were 26th in effective FG% That was an absolutely elite offensive team. We'd be incredibly lucky to have as good of an offense next year.

I just love tough low percentage shots early in a possession...

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
If you put Lewis on a worse team he would have put up points. I don't think you can just assume because he scored 11 points per game for a not so good Penn State team that he is the immediate starter.

Lewis was on a bad team in 2017-18 (103rd KenPom) played 27 games avg 3.4 ppg 1.3 rpg and 28% from 3 in 11mpg

Bolton played on the 43rd KenPom team this fall and avg 11.6 ppg 2.0 rpg and shot 36% from 3 in 27 mpg

I continue to be confused when i see people say lewis is/will be better than Bolton.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
People who lose talent always say team chemistry will be better and there won't be as much shot hunting.

However, somebody has to take tough shots, especially if a team lacks guys who can break people down off the dribble.

We were 9th in the country in offensive efficiency last year. We were 26th in effective FG% That was an absolutely elite offensive team. We'd be incredibly lucky to have as good of an offense next year.
We absolutely lost talent, but we did gain some as well. I do not think we'll be as good offensively but I don't think we're going to drop off the map in that area. When I mentioned chemistry I meant off the court as well as on the court. I think we're going to see the ball swinging side to side more and guys making the extra pass, which leads to higher percentage shots. We saw a lot of one on one last year, and even though some of those shots went in, they weren't necessarily great shots taken.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Lewis was on a bad team in 2017-18 (103rd KenPom) played 27 games avg 3.4 ppg 1.3 rpg and 28% from 3 in 11mpg

Bolton played on the 43rd KenPom team this fall and avg 11.6 ppg 2.0 rpg and shot 36% from 3 in 27 mpg

I continue to be confused when i see people say lewis is/will be better than Bolton.

I don't think anyone is saying he is better but I don't think it is clear cut that Bolton is better. look at his efficiency numbers. Their Ken Pom number is decent but they were an average team and Bolton was just a volume guy that didn't do much else, i.e. pass, rebound play defense etc. To me he seems like a young version of Nixon. I think he can be really good with some development but i don't see him as a for sure starter. And who knows, it could be Jackson and Leech battling for a starting spot as well.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I think we're all going to be surprised about how good the offense can look when you get guys that want to share the ball and help others score, rather than score on their own. Last year we had a plethora of offensive weapons, but a lot of the shots were "me" shots. With the addition of Bolton, assuming he's eligible to play next year, I think our offense doesn't drop off as much as people think. I also believe we're going to have much better player leadership and chemistry which will help that.
I feel similar as well. I think this year could look similar to Niang's freshman year. I remember that team sharing the ball a ton and and whipping it around the perimeter all the time. Looking it up, they had the 3rd best season for total assists when just comparing last 10 years. Behind Kane-Ejim team and Niang's senior year team. We probably don't have a volume scorer like Clyburn but the sum of the parts could be greater than the whole I feel like that team was as well.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Glad to have Bolton, but I am hoping one of the incoming freshmen will be a surprise starter. Otherwise, we will be hoping that a returning player (Lewis or Bolton or someone else) improves considerably in both shooting efficiency and ball control, which doesn't happen very often. I thought LW had a rough sophomore year, but he was still quite a bit more efficient than Bolton.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Welcome aboard!
Someone in Cyclone Alley needs to make a big flayed man sigil to bring to games.

latest

Make it able to have the opposing jersey on it

• Agree
Reactions: Mr Janny

CySanka3

Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
Guesses on who "the man" will be? Been dying for someone with that Kane personality of "I'm a grown a** man, and I will beat you down". Shayok had some moments last year with ballsy late game winners. Just wondering you y'all think will have the ball in their hands down 2 with 18 seconds to go?

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Guesses on who "the man" will be? Been dying for someone with that Kane personality of "I'm a grown a** man, and I will beat you down". Shayok had some moments last year with ballsy late game winners. Just wondering you y'all think will have the ball in their hands down 2 with 18 seconds to go?
Prentiss Nixon. He has a great ability to run off his screens and shoot a contested fade away, as well as being able to create a shot by himself. I would also think that Halliburton is going to be more of a complete scorer next year and take it all the way to the rim and finish more often, so he would be my second answer.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

My money is on Nixon.

• Agree
Reactions: Dandy

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Is there any backup plan if Bolton goes elsewhere?

This feels like one of those things that is going to take a week and seem like a year...

Yes (that nobody is privy too), and yes - I'm logging in multiple times a day and all I've getting is name-calling and a gold nugget of wit or wisdom every now and agin.
We absolutely lost talent, but we did gain some as well. I do not think we'll be as good offensively but I don't think we're going to drop off the map in that area. When I mentioned chemistry I meant off the court as well as on the court. I think we're going to see the ball swinging side to side more and guys making the extra pass, which leads to higher percentage shots. We saw a lot of one on one last year, and even though some of those shots went in, they weren't necessarily great shots taken.

I think we'll see the biggest gains in LEADERSHIP on the court. I think that will automatically make this a more cohesive team and likely aid in our defensive presence.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Don't sleep on Zion. The injury set him back last year, I think he will be much improved.

IMO what will be interesting is Solo and Jacobson if it come down to who starts vs who comes off the bench.. 2 year starter vs 1 year starter. Solo turned around the team his freshman year, is a better defender against big 12 level post players and lost his spot due to injury. Jacobson had a great year last year, is better scorer and rebounded.

Both will start