Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
...and why do we give a ****?

I can give you a couple reasons.

-- We were finalists on two of their likely starters. Being curious about what happens to guys who do not ultimately choose the Cyclones is pretty typical. It is interesting for its own sake when you have already learned something about the player and you are curious how they will develop, it helps you benchmark the staff's ability to identify talent (even if they do not eventually land it), and it is fun. There are definitely those two take it too far with those that spurn us, but I find it interesting to see how guys' careers go once I know about them.

-- Penny and Memphis is an interesting story for college basketball even disregarding those particular Iowa State connections (including the conspiracy theory that THT was going to flip to Memphis last summer). You have a local, hometown hero who rocked the AAU circut and, before that, was one of the coolest NBA players of the past 20 years ripping it up on the recruiting trail nationally. The guy just pulled a class -- legally or not -- rivaling or exceeding the blue bloods of the sport. Wondering how Penny will do as a coach with all that talent and how Memphis' season will go on its own is a reasonable curiosity for anybody interested in the sport.

-- The stat nerd in me likes looking over these projections of lineups and results, particularly for such a hard thing to forecast like a new coach without much of a track record and essentially a new team with so much coming in from the transfer market or 5* freshmen.

Memphis is one of the most interesting teams in the country next year on a couple of levels.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Maybe. NBA Draft projects have him as a shooting guard. But other links say guard, not wing. 247 labels him a PG.

Guys change position in college all the time.

I thought Nick would be a jack-of-all-trades wing -- turns out he was a PG.

We thought Naz was a PG coming into ISU -- turns out he was a shooter.

Tucker is a career 113:151 A:T, though (roughly 1:1.35).

That is hard to imagine as a PG.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I can give you a couple reasons.

-- We were finalists on two of their likely starters. Being curious about what happens to guys who do not ultimately choose the Cyclones is pretty typical. It is interesting for its own sake when you have already learned something about the player and you are curious how they will develop, it helps you benchmark the staff's ability to identify talent (even if they do not eventually land it), and it is fun. There are definitely those two take it too far with those that spurn us, but I find it interesting to see how guys' careers go once I know about them.

-- Penny and Memphis is an interesting story for college basketball even disregarding those particular Iowa State connections (including the conspiracy theory that THT was going to flip to Memphis last summer). You have a local, hometown hero who rocked the AAU circut and, before that, was one of the coolest NBA players of the past 20 years ripping it up on the recruiting trail nationally. The guy just pulled a class -- legally or not -- rivaling or exceeding the blue bloods of the sport. Wondering how Penny will do as a coach with all that talent and how Memphis' season will go on its own is a reasonable curiosity for anybody interested in the sport.

-- The stat nerd in me likes looking over these projections of lineups and results, particularly for such a hard thing to forecast like a new coach without much of a track record and essentially a new team with so much coming in from the transfer market or 5* freshmen.

Memphis is one of the most interesting teams in the country next year on a couple of levels.

Actually he's a kid that strung us along and went to Memphi$. He burnt that bridge.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Interesting choice here. I think it will be a choice that gets more and more popular while the one-and-done era still exists and coaches are getting caught paying recruits.

Also an indirect win for ISU, as this #5 recruit was down to Tech and Kansas along with Memphis.

KU fans thought he was going to KU. This has to be a blow.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
KU fans thought he was going to KU. This has to be a blow.

Yeah, I checked out the KU board yesterday to gauge their mood considering they have been the favorite for RJ since the fall. They were already celebrating last week when he set the date of his announcement, and dismissing the late rumors he'd be going over seas. That message board server is burning up right now.

Good for him, Hampton is a one an done either way, if he doesn't want to play college start getting paid right away. The only argument for playing college would be to increase your national profile to get a bigger shoe deal (ala Zion or Tre) or wanting to experience the college lifestyle. With Silvio and Doke playing next year, he may have seen that exposure with the lack of space.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Very interesting move by Hampton. They must have paid him pretty well. I wonder if the thinking is that he would put up better numbers there than if he went the Euro route? Plus maybe the paid better. Can't say I blame him. If I was a top ranked recruit, I would be tempted to do the same thing for a year.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Very interesting move by Hampton. They must have paid him pretty well. I wonder if the thinking is that he would put up better numbers there than if he went the Euro route? Plus maybe the paid better. Can't say I blame him. If I was a top ranked recruit, I would be tempted to do the same thing for a year.

The best was one of the posters on the KU forum said he was going to Austrailia to play pro. Said that a week or two ago and they just torched the guy, made fun of him, and just destroyed him. He was right. hahahaha

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
BIG blow for KU. Now, I wonder where Jalen Wilson goes. Hopefully, not KU.

That is the other Domino, RJ and Jalen are close and KU fans already had them penciled into the lineup next year.
I know Wilson has a North Carolina visit scheduled and is planning to talk to Howard at Michigan (who could be retaining Belien's assistants which would help Michigan's cause for re-commitment).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron