Gutter cleaning

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I need my gutters cleaned, I have a 2 story, and I am not climbing up. The rain this morning was flowing right over them. Does anyone have recommendations in the DSM area?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You need something like this.....

Powerfit-PF31052B-Gutter-Cleaner-Attachment-o3vc7admyrtf5b2kqyp0p9knzlanw56o5j9k7d8xsk.jpg

On a somewhat related question, I have water going over mine only in one spot due to it being a low spot in the gutter so the water isn't flowing to the downspout end.

Is that a b**ch to fix yourself, or somewhat simple?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Usually you can find a guy in a bar at 9 am that will clean them out for a case of beer or so. If you wait until lunch time he will be sloshed enough that he won't feel it when he falls.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Jobs that Americans will no longer do......

I'm sure you will find a fine handyman to do it. I am just glad you have trees around to clog them.....it seems the prevailing mentality now is the suburban clear-cut so that there is no maintenance at all. little 7' tall crab apple trees dotting the small green spaces between concrete streets, driveways, patios, and 8' wide sidewalks so that strollers can pass each other without looking or acknowledging each other.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
On a somewhat related question, I have water going over mine only in one spot due to it being a low spot in the gutter so the water isn't flowing to the downspout end.

Is that a b**ch to fix yourself, or somewhat simple?[/QUOTE]

Its a pain. Unless you have 3 friends with ladders. and the correct fasteners etc etc....

Last edited:
Reactions: xr4ticlone

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
We replaced our downspouts with larger 3" x 4" a few years ago--carries much more water from the gutters. very pleased

I did noticed last fall during heavy rains water was pouring over gutter in front our our home. I got on a ladder later to discover a soggy newspaper in the gutter, damming things up. One of the knucklehead paper carriers just chucked a daily edition onto our roof, and thought it was ok... good lord..lol

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We replaced our downspouts with larger 3" x 4" a few years ago--carries much more water from the gutters. very pleased

I did noticed last fall during heavy rains water was pouring over gutter in front our our home. I got on a ladder later to discover a soggy newspaper in the gutter, damming things up. One of the knucklehead paper carriers just chucked a daily edition onto our roof, and thought it was ok... good lord..lol

My paper person is wide left, wide right, long and short but hasn't hit the roof yet. Garden path left this morning. Garden path right yesterday. In the yard the day before that.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Jobs that Americans will no longer do......

I'm sure you will find a fine handyman to do it. I am just glad you have trees around to clog them.....it seems the prevailing mentality now is the suburban clear-cut so that there is no maintenance at all. little 7' tall crab apple trees dotting the small green spaces between concrete streets, driveways, patios, and 8' wide sidewalks so that strollers can pass each other without looking or acknowledging each other.

Even with a screen on the gutters I have to go up on the roof at least twice a year to clear the roof and gutters. Huge oak and silver maple hang over my house. Oak leaves are like little mats that just pile up and the maple clogs the screens up with seeds. At some point I am going to have to start contracting someone to clean since I am getting a little long in the tooth for clambering around roof tops.

45114751_10213100155046094_9060239562520920064_n.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
You need something like this.....

Powerfit-PF31052B-Gutter-Cleaner-Attachment-o3vc7admyrtf5b2kqyp0p9knzlanw56o5j9k7d8xsk.jpg

Is that a b**ch to fix yourself, or somewhat simple?
I was just looking at pressure washer attachments. Anyone have one they know works well ?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Same thing a few years ago, except it happened during winter. I just thought the water was frozen in the gutter. When I did the Spring cleaning of the gutters, I found a January newspaper. One more benefit of going digital. Now it just clogs my email In box.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Even with a screen on the gutters I have to go up on the roof at least twice a year to clear the roof and gutters. Huge oak and silver maple hang over my house. Oak leaves are like little mats that just pile up and the maple clogs the screens up with seeds. At some point I am going to have to start contracting someone to clean since I am getting a little long in the tooth for clambering around roof tops.

45114751_10213100155046094_9060239562520920064_n.jpg

But those little maple helicopters are so cute when the fall this time of year.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
it seems the prevailing mentality now is the suburban clear-cut so that there is no maintenance at all. little 7' tall crab apple trees dotting the small green spaces between concrete streets, driveways, patios, and 8' wide sidewalks so that strollers can pass each other without looking or acknowledging each other.

As someone living in suburbia with only one tree in their yard (a TEN foot crab apple tree), just think of my maintenance free decision as your opportunity: more gutter clogging trees available for you.

• Funny
Reactions: dirtyninety

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Gutters suck.
Putting them up or leveling sucks.

Keep in mind when you hire the drunk / meth head...throw them over the fence if they fall off the ladder...then call the cops and say someone is breaking into your neighbors. You don't want to get sued. ; )

When we reroof this summer we're taking our gutters down. All they successfully do is breed mosquitoes.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
There are places you can rent those power washer attachments. I know Ankeny Hardware has various ones including a large extension wand.

• Informative
Reactions: oldman

Help Support Us

Become a patron