Wigginton to NBA, Signing Agent

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
IMO Wigginton's decision was a no brainer with Halliburton on the roster. No way LW would get major minutes at PG.

The G-league is developmental- so a team can afford to have LW play a lot of PG minutes.

There are 2 skills that are non-negotiable for smaller NBA guards- gotta make 40%+ from 3pt and great athletcism. LW is sold in both areas.

Also there are a lot of unique primary ballhandlers in the NBA like Simmons or Lebron, etc. So on the right roster a 6'2" shooting guard may not be a negative.

A 6’2” guy also needs to punch above his size on defense. LW needs work there.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
IMHO, LW is going to end up playing overseas.
I doubt he ever makes it off an NBA G league roster...

Sorry to say, but NBA mock drafts are saying the same.

• Agree
Reactions: mb7299

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
That applies to every single college basketball player. Should they all leave early?

Not all college players are as old as Wigginton is. If he stays at ISU, any gains made in his game may be offset by being a year older as far as the NBA is concerned, so his draft stock may not increase any more than this year. Playing in the G league will improve his game as much as if not more than at ISU.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not all college players are as old as Wigginton is. If he stays at ISU, any gains made in his game may be offset by being a year older as far as the NBA is concerned, so his draft stock may not increase any more than this year. Playing in the G league will improve his game as much as if not more than at ISU.

I can see a case for both. Him leaving is not an unreasonable decision, but I am not sure it is the optimal one if his goal was truly to be the first Nova Scotian playing in the NBA.

If he stays, he has a ton of “upside risk.” If he stays, comes back 100% healthy and even more springy than before, becomes an absolute force of nature on offense (e.g., 22+ PPG with an offensive rating in the high 110s, usage in the high 20s/30+, hits as much as a Tyrus range of 45% from 3PT, basically a rich man’s Marial Shayok, if you can imagine that, of volume and efficiency), and shows some significant growth on defense and playing point guard, he could have ended up in a very good spot come next spring. He did not even have to be the primary PG, either, but just show some real growth about his decision-making, creation for others, and avoiding stupid turnovers. That guy as the leader and best player on what could be a surprising team next year plus some noise in March to raise his profile, and the guy could have found himself a late first-rounder picked by a good team (though with a cap crunch on it) looking for cheap reinforcements that can contribute *right now* rather than stashing somebody for development in the D-League for a few years later.

However, if that brilliant strategy does not survive first contact with the enemy, then LW just ends up a year older and a year poorer for not having gotten paid that one year. The decision to go pro now probably raises his “floor” of earnings but lowers his “ceiling” if he can take a “shortcut” to the NBA by having a behemoth of a junior season in college, and any path to the NBA is now going to be a grind from the bottom (as Naz and Deonte) as opposed to a path carved out for him, like Talen is likely going to have.

I wish him luck and I wish him well.

It must not have been an easy decision, and I hope he made the right one.

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The thing with LW is he isn’t getting taller or younger. Why not play full time and go all in.

+1

This isn’t a difficult concept for a thinking person to grasp. Coming back to school doesn’t put him any closer to the league. In fact, it makes him even less draft able because he’s a year older.

His best play is to go be a professional basketball player, make it his career, full time.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
didn't read if anyone said this already, but I feel like he is Tyrus McGee 2.0
Which isn't a bad thing. just not probably what Wiggs was envisioning is my guess.
Good luck though!

• Disagree
Reactions: CycloneVet

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
IMO Wigginton's decision was a no brainer with Halliburton on the roster. No way LW would get major minutes at PG.

The G-league is developmental- so a team can afford to have LW play a lot of PG minutes.

There are 2 skills that are non-negotiable for smaller NBA guards- gotta make 40%+ from 3pt and great athletcism. LW is sold in both areas.

Also there are a lot of unique primary ballhandlers in the NBA like Simmons or Lebron, etc. So on the right roster a 6'2" shooting guard may not be a negative.

There are 3 other skills that are non-negotiable for smaller guards as well. Don’t turn the ball over, have exceptional handles and don’t get beat on defense consistently. LW doesn’t check the boxes for these skills.

I hope he makes it and should get a shot on some team’s summer roster but right now I don’t see him as an NBA player. The ability to score and athleticism is there, but can he make others around him better and does he make the correct reads consistently? IMO, the answer is no to both of those.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
IMHO, LW is going to end up playing overseas.
I doubt he ever makes it off an NBA G league roster...

Sorry to say, but NBA mock drafts are saying the same.

Basketball player is no different than software engineer or CPA. There are great ones at the "premier" companies but tens of thousands are making a living at all the other companies...

• Agree
Reactions: clones8232

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I’m assuming he meant what the are. Great college players who will make a good living overseas.
TM didn't leave early and nobody thought he would sniff the NBA. Not sure why he was used as an example but NBD. Usually when 2.0 is used it's because of distinct similarities to the original.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Tyrus isn’t near the athlete LW is. Not even close

Somebody else made that ridiculous comparison. It’s the fastest way to let everyone know you either don’t pay attention, or have incredibly short memories.

I was a huge fan of McGee, but he’s not in the same hemisphere the player Lindell is.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Somebody else made that ridiculous comparison. It’s the fastest way to let everyone know you either don’t pay attention, or have incredibly short memories.

I was a huge fan of McGee, but he’s not in the same hemisphere the player Lindell is.

They were both good (or great, in McThree's case) shooters who were well, frustrating on defense and without the trustworthy handle and court vision to play PG in college.

There are some reasonable similarities and comparisons there about them and their relative strengths and weaknesses as college players. Given the difference in athleticism, however, Wigginton's path going forward is going to be entirely different.

I think the group here might be talking past each other about different things.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron