Nov 13, 2016
I'm pretty sure this is Will Smith's genie:

images

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I haven't really liked any of the Live-Action Cartoon remakes. Beauty and the Beast was okay, I guess.

I'm not sure it's necessary. But people flock to see them, so what do I know?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Recasting these live action remakes with big Hollywood names with mediocre vocal talent, if any at all (e.g., Emma Watson, sorry Hermione) is becoming really old.

Can't they get some Broadway people that can sing and act?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
These remakes bring out my "get off my lawn" old man side. I've been doing my best to inundate my 1 year old with the originals not corrupted by these bastardized remakes.

• Agree
Reactions: NickTheGreat

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Will Ferrell, maybe would be better? He's not my favorite, but he can do big personalities. My vote would be for Ricky Gervais.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
So I personally love the original Aladdin. Robin Williams was like my hetero soul mate. The new Jungle Book was successful and well done. So not surprisingly I'm very excited for the new Aladdin. This newest trailer looks amazing.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/aladdins-new-trailer-finally-gives-us-something-to-sing-1833227252

Funny thing is many people I talk to about this movie are beyond annoyed with Will Smith as Genie. This gives us a little better look at Smith in the roll. What do you guys think?

I'm kinda torn. I think he's bad for the role, but who is going to out stage Williams? Jack Black I think has the best chance at doing so, but he's white and can't really go shirtless for the role. Discuss.

I think he'll be fine. Certainly less manic than Williams' take, but silly and charming in his own way. I'd be kind of disappointed if they had brought in someone to do a straight-up impersonation of Robin William's character. Let someone else take a shot at it and put their own spin on it.

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
Recasting these live action remakes with big Hollywood names with mediocre vocal talent, if any at all (e.g., Emma Watson, sorry Hermione) is becoming really old.

Not going to lie, I thought Emma Watson was a pretty darn good singer in Beauty and the Beast!

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I don't understand why they didn't just keep Williams original performance since it was all voice acting. I love what favreau did with the Jungle Book, and I think Dumbo and Lion King look cool. Not sure about this one just because Williams performance as the genie seems untouchable to me.

I am in this camp too, just do CGI with archive recordings. There has to be tons of recordings from him that didn't make the original if you wanted to freshen it up a little. I can't think of a role in a Disney animated more untouchable than this one.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I guess I don't see any issue with them doing these remakes of Disney classics. I love the stories so much, and I like seeing them in live-action. To me they are completely different movies, and I know they are supposed to just be fun so that's what I have. They aren't supposed to be these Oscar-winning masterpieces. The kids love them, so I won't complain.

And on the Will Smith thing, I actually don't mind it because everyone who wants a genie like Williams' genie is asking to be let down. You can't have a big-time comedian or someone with energy do the genie in the same light as what he did it in. It has to be a different style of genie. Still fun with some humor, but not trying to re-enact what Robin did. So I think Will Smith is not a bad choice, as I have heard he's acting the genie sort of like '90's Will Smith did his acting.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Check this dude out. Your message brought this video back to mind, which is ironically a song from Aladdin.

Last edited:

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
The initial impression a couple of weeks ago was bad, but the trailer makes it seem like it won't be horrible.

Nobody can touch Robin Williams as the genie so there is not point in trying to recreate / imitate it. Let somebody like Will Smith take it in a different direction and see how he does. I think Will's personality has the potential to be decent.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Took the kids to it yesterday. Meh. Will Smith was fine, but really all it did was remind me how great Robin Williams was. Smith tried to do his own thing with it but there were a lot of lines from the original that were glaringly missing or just weren't delivered as well by Smith. Aladdin was fine, Jasmine was a more interesting character, and hated what they did with Jafar. The kids loved it though and that's all I really cared about.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
IDK if you've seen Jack lately. He's gotten pretty big. Not that I would care if Genie was fat, but you know the Execs wouldn't go for it.

Jack Black's youtube channel is pretty hilarious stuff. Jack Black trying to throw a boomerang, Jack Black trying to fly a kite, Jack Black hanging out with his own stuntman trying to do stunts, etc...it's more funny than most recent tv and movie comedies. Mostly he's with his kids and basically he is a kid but at the same time seems to actually be a putting in good effort as a dad.

I do think he'd have been better for the role than Will Smith. I used to love Fresh Prince as a tv show when it ran but I just don't find him that funny over the past 10-15 years.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Jack Black's youtube channel is pretty hilarious stuff. Jack Black trying to throw a boomerang, Jack Black trying to fly a kite, Jack Black hanging out with his own stuntman trying to do stunts, etc...it's more funny than most recent tv and movie comedies. Mostly he's with his kids and basically he is a kid but at the same time seems to actually be a putting in good effort as a dad.

I do think he'd have been better for the role than Will Smith. I used to love Fresh Prince as a tv show when it ran but I just don't find him that funny over the past 10-15 years.
Will is a good actor but this role was just bad casting.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Took the kids to it yesterday. Meh. Will Smith was fine, but really all it did was remind me how great Robin Williams was. Smith tried to do his own thing with it but there were a lot of lines from the original that were glaringly missing or just weren't delivered as well by Smith. Aladdin was fine, Jasmine was a more interesting character, and hated what they did with Jafar. The kids loved it though and that's all I really cared about.
The original Aladdin was great but for some reason I have no desire to see the remake unless it is a $2 rental out of the Redbox. Will Smith is great but I don't see anyone ever coming close to Robin William's performance. Jafar in the previews seemed very underwhelming and seeing you confirm it just makes me even less excited about the film.

The Lion King remake on the other hand I am so stinking excited to see it in theaters! I have very high expectations for the first scene on the big screen. The visuals look phenomenal.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The original Aladdin was great but for some reason I have no desire to see the remake unless it is a $2 rental out of the Redbox. Will Smith is great but I don't see anyone ever coming close to Robin William's performance. Jafar in the previews seemed very underwhelming and seeing you confirm it just makes me even less excited about the film.

The Lion King remake on the other hand I am so stinking excited to see it in theaters! I have very high expectations for the first scene on the big screen. The visuals look phenomenal.
I only went to take my kids. As far as kids films go it's good. But I definitely wouldn't recommend otherwise.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron