Athlon ranks ISU defensive line and linebackers as Big 12's best

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Lose two really good corners, one that had been a starter from day 1 and graded out as one of the best in the nation and another that's in an NFL camp but still rated the 3 best group, that's impressive. I love the guys we have back but this unit is the most unknown on that side of the ball. Pay all these coaches whatever we need to keep them here.

I for one am not too worried about CB. Peavy is a loss for sure. Payne...he was good, but both Young and Johnson were good enough to allow him to move to Safety. Those two are high level players. Still have Eisworth and Lewis back at Safety. White played plenty of snaps at Safety as well. I'm not as sold on the depth yet. Where do Bowens and Jones fit in? Is Azunna a CB or S? Will the grad transfer (Bingham?) contribute? How about the Redshirts (Morton and Kyle)? I could see some of the TRFR getting snaps, especially Isheem Young.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Our defensive secondary has a lot of interesting storylines. I had forgotten about Isheem Young. It stands to reason he could push for playing time right away. Then you bring in a grad transfer.. does he add depth or grab the starting spot?

Reactions: CyBRubez

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm not as sold on the depth yet.
I agree with you on the corners. As far as depth, though? The way I look at it, Coach Heacock just has that many more tools to work with.

Oklahoma: 13 (4 offense, 9 defense)
I really appreciate the work, thanks!

I’ll add, though, I thought I saw something about OU losing two of those returning defensive starters to injury this spring already, maybe for the season. Two of their linebackers. Don’t know how accurate that is, but they seemed really concerned about it,

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I really appreciate the work, thanks! ... I’ll add, though, I thought I saw something about OU losing two of those returning defensive starters to injury this spring already, maybe for the season. Two of their linebackers. Don’t know how accurate that is, but they seemed really concerned about it,

you're welcome.

I wasn't aware of OU's injury situation at those positions. I suppose that's a program that can absorb something like that due to depth, but obviously not ideal.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
you're welcome.

I wasn't aware of OU's injury situation at those positions. I suppose that's a program that can absorb something like that due to depth, but obviously not ideal.
You’d think they’d be able to. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), Sooner fans are hyper aware of the horrible defense they had last year.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
With our great D-line and LBs, teams are going to have to try to open it up with throws downfield. I'm looking for lots of picks this year.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
With our great D-line and LBs, teams are going to have to try to open it up with throws downfield. I'm looking for lots of picks this year.

I think that you're right. This team is going to be tough to run on. Not only do they have a stout, athletic DL, they also have fast LBs that are good tacklers and then Eisworth and Lewis are really good in run support. They are good up the middle, which is always important to having a good defense. If I were an opponent, I would try to test those two corners and see how they do. And, try to isolate McDonald on a RB in coverage. I would assume that McDonald will be replaced by Grant on passing downs, so on first down, try to see if you can get him in coverage. But I'm guessing McDonald will be told to blitz on most passing plays that he's in for.

Reactions: Aclone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Our defensive secondary has a lot of interesting storylines. I had forgotten about Isheem Young. It stands to reason he could push for playing time right away. Then you bring in a grad transfer.. does he add depth or grab the starting spot?

Honestly, I am not that concerned about the DBs. Things are not like they have been in the past in Ames. The backups get into games and play significant minutes in tight games. Young is good. It also sounds like some of the reserves had great springs. In addition, the rest of the defense around these guys are very good, so they will not be asked to erase a bunch of mistakes like the back end of the defense did for years before CMC.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I for one am not too worried about CB. Peavy is a loss for sure. Payne...he was good, but both Young and Johnson were good enough to allow him to move to Safety. Those two are high level players. Still have Eisworth and Lewis back at Safety. White played plenty of snaps at Safety as well. I'm not as sold on the depth yet. Where do Bowens and Jones fit in? Is Azunna a CB or S? Will the grad transfer (Bingham?) contribute? How about the Redshirts (Morton and Kyle)? I could see some of the TRFR getting snaps, especially Isheem Young.

Amechie Walker will compete for the starting STAR spot as well. I don't know much about him other than what his Cyclones.com Bio states. He started his football career as a WR at New Hampshire in 2015. He walked on and transferred to Iowa State and sat the year out as a Red Shirt in 2016. Was still considered a WR in 2017 and didn't do much. He made the switch to DB last season and again only played Special Teams. He earned a Scholarship this spring and it sounds like he has finally turned the corner and has earned more PT and possibly a starting spot. 5'10 175 pounds. Has great speed and is regarded as one of the five fastest players on the team. He was a low 3 Star WR out of HS and had offers from New Hampshire, Temple, Fordham, North Carolina State, and a Matt Campbell Toledo team. He is one of the few Pennsylvania players on the Roster.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If this is correct, just imagine if Montgomery and Butler were returning.

Damn...

Obviously it would be great if they were coming back, but I'm actually really excited to see what some of the other guys can do. It felt like a lot of times last year our offense was either hand it to DM or lob it up for Butler and that was it.

I think we're going to spread it around a LOT more this year and that excites me. That is a lot tougher for defenses to defend too. And I'm really excited to see Kene get his shot too, because if he gets a hole, or even a crease, he could be gone, whereas with DM that was not the case.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Obviously it would be great if they were coming back, but I'm actually really excited to see what some of the other guys can do. It felt like a lot of times last year our offense was either hand it to DM or lob it up for Butler and that was it.

I think we're going to spread it around a LOT more this year and that excites me. That is a lot tougher for defenses to defend too. And I'm really excited to see Kene get his shot too, because if he gets a hole, or even a crease, he could be gone, whereas with DM that was not the case.
I hadn't thought of it that way. That IS something to look forward to.