RECRUITING INSIDER: Darren Wilson (2019 JUCO WR)

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Just a quick update on his timeline.

Sounds like it'll be Iowa State or West Virginia and he's going to decide on Wednesday.

Immediately eligible to play.

6-foot-3. Would be a nice plug-in to help make up for the loss of Josh Johnson.
Any intel on Bolton?

• Dislike
  • Agree
Reactions: isuno1fan and Messi

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
What’s great about this kid is he’s got 3 years to play....you would think that QB makes a big diff to where he goes and that’s a no brainer imo..

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
  • Friendly
  • Funny
Reactions: Cyder91 and RedDog

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Not sure how “fast” he is, but on the video in the other thread, he looks like a good receiver.
https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=11139865

Looks like he’s from Georgia. If distance is a factor, WVU may have the edge.

CW, don’t you need a day off Wednesday?
You know what Chris, head down to South Florida, I'm off this week. I'll be your local guide for a nice vacation in the Keys. You need to get out of Iowa right now.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Looking at our WR depth on the roster, I can see why CMC is adding one, and possibly two, WR transfers to this class.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Looking at our WR depth on the roster, I can see why CMC is adding one, and possibly two, WR transfers to this class.
I'm not sure I agree with this...I see our depth as very good. Now, experienced depth is another story as we could use another experienced one. I think the summer practices are going to be very competitive. The group we have right now is outstanding...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm not sure I agree with this...I see our depth as very good. Now, experienced depth is another story as we could use another experienced one. I think the summer practices are going to be very competitive. The group we have right now is outstanding...
I seem to recall a quote by CMC saying that if there had been a “Most Outstanding Player” of the Spring, that would have been Sean Shaw. Considering how he talked about some of the players this Spring, that’s pretty impressive.

Since he also had good things to say at various points about Milton, Akers and Scates—then added Pettway—I don’t think the “depth chart” is the issue. I’d guess that Wilson is just that talented that he didn’t want to pass.

That said, it might take him a year to adjust..,

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I seem to recall a quote by CMC saying that if there had been a “Most Outstanding Player” of the Spring, that would have been Sean Shaw. Considering how he talked about some of the players this Spring, that’s pretty impressive.

Since he also had good things to say at various points about Milton, Akers and Scates—then added Pettway—I don’t think the “depth chart” is the issue. I’d guess that Wilson is just that talented that he didn’t want to pass.

That said, it might take him a year to adjust..,
To me it’s mostly about adding experience (and the fact that they’re probably pretty good players.

A lot of talent in the WR room, it’s just the majority of it is really young.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

You don't know if you have depth if it's not experienced depth. We have no idea how some of these guys that have never played at the college level before will translate, so that isn't really "depth". Adding a couple experienced WRs will definitely provide us with depth.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
To me it’s mostly about adding experience (and the fact that they’re probably pretty good players.

A lot of talent in the WR room, it’s just the majority of it is really young.
He’ll be a sophomore, who had a grand total of twenty catches as a freshman. That’s not exactly vast experience. Matter of fact, given that he’ll be coming into a brand new system, with no D-1 (let alone P5) experience, that adjustment will basically put him on an even footing with Shaw and Scates.

This move would be about adding talent, not experience.

You don't know if you have depth if it's not experienced depth.
You are correct, I don’t know that—but the coaches see these guys in practice every day, and they know what they have.

For example, CMC said the OL goes ergot deep—and three of those guys hsven’t played.

Adding a couple experienced WRs will definitely provide us with depth.[/QUOTE
“Definitely”, huh? Even if so, after Pettway, where do we get the second one?

• Agree
Reactions: TruClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
He’ll be a sophomore, who had a grand total of twenty catches as a freshman. That’s not exactly vast experience. Matter of fact, given that he’ll be coming into a brand new system, with no D-1 (let alone P5) experience, that adjustment will basically put him on an even footing with Shaw and Scates.

This move would be about adding talent, not experience.

You are correct, I don’t know that—but the coaches see these guys in practice every day, and they know what they have.

For example, CMC said the OL goes ergot deep—and three of those guys hsven’t played.

Talent..... Experience..... Depth...... whatever you want to call it, it's all kind of semantics.

Here's my point though. Here is the list of WR's we have coming back with basically any college level experience at all.....

Tarique Milton
Deshaunte Jones
Landon Akers
Jalen Martin

And Martin has had very little experience at all, and the same really could be said about Akers somewhat too. There's a lot of potential high level talent in Scates, Shaw, Schleker, Porter, and Glass, but all unproven.

So IMO, we desperately needed to bring in at least one transfer, if not more... which is exactly what CMC is doing.

Last edited:

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Talent..... Experience..... Depth...... whatever you want to call it, it's kinda all semantics.

Here's my point though. Here is the list of WR's we have coming back with basically any college level experience at all.....

Tarique Milton
Deshaunte Jones
Landon Akers
Jalen Martin

And Martin has had very little experience at all, and the same really could be said about Akers somewhat too. There's a lot of potential high level talent in Scates, Shaw, Schleker, Porter, and Glass, but all unproven.

So IMO, we desperately needed to bring in at least one transfer, if not more... which is exactly what CMC is doing.

If CMC could somehow get Zuber to Ames it would be amazing.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Talent..... Experience..... Depth...... whatever you want to call it, it's all kind of semantics.

Tarique Milton
Deshaunte Jones
Landon Akers
Jalen Martin

Scates, Shaw, Schleker, Porter and Glass all came here to play. Continually adding transfers increase your chances of losing current talent as well as future recruits.

Pettway as a GT to replace Butler was absolutely needed.

Wilson for Johnson appears to be an upgrade for a player that may have been recruited over. After that we'd be blocking progression of talent.

Campbell has done a great job restocking the M. Jones and Milton, both solid contributors as Freshmen. Milton as a RS. Feel very confident Glass or Schleker can do the same.

Scates may be the most talented guy in the room. Really doubt we find someone to knock him off the 2 line.

Shaw is going to get a shot as a red zone threat.

Porter likely RS but 6'4" track stud will push for reps.

I'd rather see talented guys in the program get opportunities over a roomful of transfers.