NOTABLE: For the first time in history, ISU in Athlon top 25

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
As crazy as this sounds, we are likely to be even better than Athlon thinks:
  • Uwazurike seems to have been largely left out of the analysis.
  • They didn't include CW's edit about La'Michael Pettway.
  • They rank us way too low at RB, probably because of lack of starts.

I definitely agree with this. I think Kene is going to be a breakout star this year in the league. We haven't had a home run speed guy like him maybe ever.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
This may be a little off topic, but to go along with our increased publicity in the college football world, I am also highly encouraged by the intense recruiting going on not only for 2020, but also 2021 and 2022.

This coaching staff continues to give every indication they plan to be here for a while yet. As we know, coaches often tip their hand through weak recruiting. Who would have thought a head coach with no prior ISU ties would be so contented to stay? Great to be a Cyclone!

Reactions: HoustonClone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This may be a little off topic, but to go along with our increased publicity in the college football world, I am also highly encouraged by the intense recruiting going on not only for 2020, but also 2021 and 2022.

This coaching staff continues to give every indication they plan to be here for a while yet. As we know, coaches often tip their hand through weak recruiting. Who would have thought a head coach with no prior ISU ties would be so contented to stay? Great to be a Cyclone!

IMO Tom Manning coming back to Iowa State was pretty notable. I think that says a lot about CMC's plan and desire to be in Ames.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Why would they let up recruiting? If they go elsewhere they will just take the recruits that they built relationships with here to their next stop.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Fully expect a win over TOE, Texas will be a bigger challenge.
Both are at home. Texas has the least returning starters in the Big XII. I think it’ll prove to be a fairly equal challenge between the two.

I really, really want to take down OU in Norman again.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If ISU could sweep the home games, that's 7 wins. So unless it's a total failure on the road, maintaining/finishing top 25 is wholly realistic.
With that home schedule, I’d like to see a season ticket meter. Even a so-so game with ULM should have great weather.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Both are at home. Texas has the least returning starters in the Big XII. I think it’ll prove to be a fairly equal challenge between the two.

I really, really want to take down OU in Norman again.

Only stretch in the slate I don't like is only one home game after Oct. 5 until Nov. 16.

For the most part I like where the bye weeks fall, in regard to post-bye opponents. Week off before Iowa, week off before OU.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Fully expect a win over TOE, Texas will be a bigger challenge.

I'm really looking forward to a TOE game in which we both have great defensive lines. Hope it results in a wide open game with lots of throws downfield. Our defensive backs will make the plays needed to win the game.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I bought those mags every year growing up. And every year, they crapped on ISU...probably deservedly so, but still not fun to read. It's cool to see them get a little respect. We're kind of in uncharted territory. I almost want to frame that DL ranking. Never in a million years would I think that ISU would have the #1 ranked DL in the conference.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I bought those mags every year growing up. And every year, they crapped on ISU...probably deservedly so, but still not fun to read. It's cool to see them get a little respect. We're kind of in uncharted territory. I almost want to frame that DL ranking. Never in a million years would I think that ISU would have the #1 ranked DL in the conference.

And that would seem to be without placing much value on Uwazurike as he wasn't put on the first, second, or third all-Big 12 preseason teams. So, we are even better than they thought.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I'm really looking forward to a TOE game in which we both have great defensive lines. Hope it results in a wide open game with lots of throws downfield. Our defensive backs will make the plays needed to win the game.

Brian Ferentz has called pretty good games against us. Last year was a brutal game, but they wore us down. I hope we can open things up a little bit this year and dictate the game style. There's no way our OL can be as bad as they were in IC last season, and Purdy's mobility is lightyears ahead of Kempt. I'm looking forward to their defensive gameplan.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
He finally slayed the Purple Wizard, so it makes sense that he absorbs his powers.

7jm9f8m6mad11.jpg

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
In addition to being in top 25, being picked to finish 3rd in the Big 12 is uncharted territory.
I don't expect the league coaches to pick us #3. It irks them that we are now a big obstacle in the league unlike in the past.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I would rather both open weeks occur during conference play.

That's probably more ideal than what we have, but it could be worse.

General question, I probably should know the answer but I don't: How are the bye weeks determined for each team? Is it completely random? Is there something in the process that prevents a team from having too many byes too close together?

• Useful
Reactions: Cycsk