Gamer nerds: what video game affected you the most emotionally?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Aerith I believe. IX and X were my jam but I played VII some.

I think someone did a remastered FF7 with new graphics, I've always wanted to go back and play through the game.

Yes I think you are right. The last time i played through I left the names the same (Barrett, Tifa, etc). First time when I was in middle school I gave them all pretty un-pc names.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
  • Winner
Reactions: Farnsworth

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy X.

I am currently playing FFX and that is a bad game. The only sort of redeeming thing about it is the story. The voice-acting is really bad, even considering it was like the first fully voiced game on PS2. The battle system is boring. The post game stuff is such a grind. Certain ultimate weapons are so annoying to get. I have had this game since it came out in 2002 and can never get through it. I enjoyed FF13 and 15 more than I have FFX. /rantover

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Emotional because of a computer game... Hmmm... Beside Baseball Stars when it erased on accident. I gotta go with Fortnite.

My son and his friends do all the stupid dances every chance they get. Baseball practice, hanging out, weddings, and now football practice.

Makes me and the other parents blood boil.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I am currently playing FFX and that is a bad game. The only sort of redeeming thing about it is the story. The voice-acting is really bad, even considering it was like the first fully voiced game on PS2. The battle system is boring. The post game stuff is such a grind. Certain ultimate weapons are so annoying to get. I have had this game since it came out in 2002 and can never get through it. I enjoyed FF13 and 15 more than I have FFX. /rantover

I can see why you would think that way now, but when that game came out it was awesome. Those cut scenes on the PS2 were "cinema quality" and the controls were pretty decent. I think it was the last turn-based combat game I have played, and I miss being able to put my controller down for a few minutes/hours without having to pause the game and knowing that my characters won't die. Yeah, the voice-acting is rough at times (cue the Luna/Tidus laughing sequence) and Blitz Ball made zero sense but I have a lot of fond memories of that game. Now, X-2 - that was a bad game.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneWanderer

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I can see why you would think that way now, but when that game came out it was awesome. Those cut scenes on the PS2 were "cinema quality" and the controls were pretty decent. I think it was the last turn-based combat game I have played, and I miss being able to put my controller down for a few minutes/hours without having to pause the game and knowing that my characters won't die. Yeah, the voice-acting is rough at times (cue the Luna/Tidus laughing sequence) and Blitz Ball made zero sense but I have a lot of fond memories of that game. Now, X-2 - that was a bad game.

One more good thing about it is John Dimaggio being the voice of Wakka. I didn't like it back in 2002 and is still the only main Final Fantasy I have not beaten. I can go beat it at anytime on my PS4 save so I should just get it done. I actually thought the battle system /class system of X-2 was really good, but everything else about that game was awful.

Reactions: 3GenClone

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The Far Cry 5 ending pissed me off way more than was rational. To spend the whole game with one goal in mind, and then the game is just like, sorry, nope.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
For me like others have mentioned it I would say FF7 when the girl dies. I had all custom names so not sure what her name was.

Final Fantasy 7 was such a transformative game for me growing up. It was the first JRPG I'd ever played, and I remember playing through the demo thinking "Ok, the game is basically taking out all the reactors in Midgar and then you win!" It blew my mind when you finally reached the world map and there was suddenly all this extra story to explore.

Aeris' death is always something that will stick with me as well. I just couldn't fathom seeing a main character die in any medium that I'd enjoyed up to that point in my life.

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com

StarCraft Brood War. I've probably played thousands of matches online back in the day. Terran is still the best race. The key was to be a b!tch. Firebat rush mineral patch, siege tank drops, preemptive rushed nukes, EMP, Goliath and Tank push with Wraiths.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I got the worst ending in Witcher 3, and for maybe my favorite game of all time it was as attached as I’ve been to characters so it hit pretty hard. I thought about my bad decisions and the results for days. It’s the only game that made me consider my actions outside the game.

The end of walking dead season 1 was a big one too. The end of Red Dead wasn’t a tear jerker but it was emotional. One of the few times the revenge story line really hit home.
Yeah, and I was pissed when I found out how minor the decisions were that gave you the bad ending . I almost went back and replayed it because I was pretty emotionally invested in the characters, but I wasn't ready to put in another 100 hours.

I still remember replaying the ending of Planescape Torment a few times just to soak it in since it was over - that was and is still my all time favorite game.

Reactions: Bigman38

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
In the tavern days I got the hang of "Gorf" before anyone else and was able to spread that "wisdom".

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
EA's NCAA Football (RIP). The 10 straight national championships I won with Iowa State gave me unrealistic expectations.

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Ncaa football caused me to break a couple controllers. I miss you, please come back. Madden doesnt mean anything to me.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Gran Turismo 1 on PS1. Still play Gran Turismo Sport on my PS4 and pretty much the only reason I bought it.