Chernobyl

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
If you haven't been watching this mini-series on HBO, I'd highly recommend it. I just love the artistic choices the show runners have made. The lighting, costuming, and cinematography are just spot on.....so, so Soviet. And the creeping dread that permeates the whole story is really not like much else I've ever seen on TV.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If you haven't been watching this mini-series on HBO, I'd highly recommend it. I just love the artistic choices the show runners have made. The lighting, costuming, and cinematography are just spot on.....so, so Soviet. And the creeping dread that permeates the whole story is really not like much else I've ever seen on TV.

It really is outstanding so far. I think the "It's the miners, comrade" scene from the other night is likely the only moment of levity we are likely to see.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
There is a companion podcast available as well that is equally fantastic. The writer/show runner gives lots of detail about how the series lines up with actual events as well as other interesting historical anecdotes that didn’t make it into the show.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Definitely on my watch list. My insanely long almost overwhelming watch list. Not sure when but I'll get to this one eventually.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
It's great. We watched the first two, haven't got around to the third yet. Probably tomorrow night. I wish it was more than just a mini-series.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We started our free HBONow 7 day trial so we could watch Veep this weekend and I saw this on the list, I need to make a point to watch the first episode in the next 3 days now.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Question for you young people. I don't have HBO and have never watched game of Thrones and never cared to do so. However, I really want to watch this. I am fascinated by looking at photo's of what it has become. Toys just laying around, Amusement park overgrown and that type of thing. However, if I can get like HBO streaming for like 10 bucks a month I can and might as well watch GOT in a marathon viewing. Is it possible to get HBO like I get Netflix and does anyone know how much it costs?

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado

That is a perfect way of describing it.

Can't wait til next sunday. I'm really into it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Question for you young people. I don't have HBO and have never watched game of Thrones and never cared to do so. However, I really want to watch this. I am fascinated by looking at photo's of what it has become. Toys just laying around, Amusement park overgrown and that type of thing. However, if I can get like HBO streaming for like 10 bucks a month I can and might as well watch GOT in a marathon viewing. Is it possible to get HBO like I get Netflix and does anyone know how much it costs?

Not a young people, but we use HBO Now (streaming). I think it costs $15.99 a month or so. Well worth it. Watched the last season of Game of Thrones, and now working on Sopranos.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
It's great. We watched the first two, haven't got around to the third yet. Probably tomorrow night. I wish it was more than just a mini-series.

I don't know if it could be much more than a mini series to be honest. Might lose some of the effect. Would be interesting for them to do 1 or 2 episodes as a documentary style follow up to show what's going on in that area now.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Love this show. It is so intense. The mismanagement, denial and "yes manness" is really crazy. The fact that there was so much denial about what was happening and those who knew what was happening were dismissed as wrong just blows my mind.

I did laugh at the naked miners though.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

I'm young at heart. But here is a pretty good place to start:

https://www.hbo.com/ways-to-get

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Love this show. It is so intense. The mismanagement, denial and "yes manness" is really crazy. The fact that there was so much denial about what was happening and those who knew what was happening were dismissed as wrong just blows my mind.

I did laugh at the naked miners though.

3.6. Not great, not terrible.

Help Support Us

Become a patron