Wonder if LW gets to play in the G-league "combine?"

CyKings

Jun 5, 2013
Kansas City, KS
What is proving itself out here is what I’ve always said.

LW will never play in the NBA.

I’d go overseas if I were him and wanted to play “professionally”. Play 5-7 years and make a decent nest egg then return to the states and coach kids or sell insurance.

A nest egg playing over seas? The average salary there is like $60K-$100K a year. 5-7 years in Europe wouldn't save him squat in terms of a "nest egg".

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
A nest egg playing over seas? The average salary there is like $60K-$100K a year. 5-7 years in Europe wouldn't save him squat in terms of a "nest egg".

For some of those teams the $60-$100K is in addition to the team picking up all of their living expenses so the ability to save is a little bit greater.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
For some of those teams the $60-$100K is in addition to the team picking up all of their living expenses so the ability to save is a little bit greater.

Also: he only has so many years to play basketball. Does an extra year in college now increase his earnings over the subsequent X years enough to make up for the year of lost income?

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Does anyone know what Matt Thomas makes with Valencia? I know Valencia paid $70,000 to his old team just to buy the rights to sign him.

• Informative

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
People talk about 300 players in GL.. yea those are mostly players that are there right now.. GL signs about 30-50 new kids a year.. most don’t get paid crap. But most have exhausted their eligibility too..

What does LW have to gain by coming back? Another year closer to an invaluable degree...an improved year b-ball wise maybe giving him a better shot at nba or even GL two way deal..

He stays in draft he will never see an nba court.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Also: he only has so many years to play basketball. Does an extra year in college now increase his earnings over the subsequent X years enough to make up for the year of lost income?

I would think the known loss of, say, $100,000 in salary playing in Europe versus the upside risk of being able to play yourself into the NBA would be worth it.

Even a minimal NBA contract is worth 10x that.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Does anyone know what Matt Thomas makes with Valencia? I know Valencia paid $70,000 to his old team just to buy the rights to sign him.
I believe he gets 500K euros / year (plus probably car and apartment) per year for 2 years. That's toward the high side but Valencia is one of the bigger clubs in Spain. There's guys making more than that on Barcelona and Real Madrid but the number of jobs is limited.

Chris Babb and Will both have been in the EuroLeague and have been in that range.

Guys like Bowie may have been making $40k or something along those lines, playing for a small club in Romania.

• Informative

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
He should talk to Prohm and Monte. Coming back would be his best option. Continue to polish his game and get a degree to fall back on. Sure getting paid now sounds great short term from the G-League or overseas, but where’s that leave him after basketball? Take advantage of free schooling and try again next year after being “the guy” finally.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Where do these European clubs get that kind of money...?

Is it that popular live or on TV over there?

It has that kind of interest even relative to the NBA's global brand?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
He should talk to Prohm and Monte. Coming back would be his best option. Continue to polish his game and get a degree to fall back on. Sure getting paid now sounds great short term from the G-League or overseas, but where’s that leave him after basketball? Take advantage of free schooling and try again next year after being “the guy” finally.

Monte is the poster child of hard work and patience. Kane came in and Monte didn't get pissed he just buckled down and worked hard and learned, I think Monte might have also had better people giving him advice, I think Mrs Morris is a pretty smart/focused gal. No matter how it turns out good luck to Wiggi.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
People talk about 300 players in GL.. yea those are mostly players that are there right now.. GL signs about 30-50 new kids a year.. most don’t get paid crap. But most have exhausted their eligibility too..

What does LW have to gain by coming back? Another year closer to an invaluable degree...an improved year b-ball wise maybe giving him a better shot at nba or even GL two way deal..

He stays in draft he will never see an nba court.

that degree might more valuable if his basketball skills don't improve

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Monte is the poster child of hard work and patience. Kane came in and Monte didn't get pissed he just buckled down and worked hard and learned, I think Monte might have also had better people giving him advice, I think Mrs Morris is a pretty smart/focused gal. No matter how it turns out good luck to Wiggi.

I’m so glad it has worked out for Monte.

• Agree

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Did not know Matt Thomas recently had surgery.

Valencia, 10 May. 2019. - Valencia Basket player Matt Thomas has been operated this morning to perform a surgical drainage of an important encapsulated hematoma in his right quadriceps.
The operation took place at the IMED Valencia hospital and was carried out by Dr. Ignacio Muñoz , head of the medical services at Valencia Basket.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I think G-league would be the best move for LW. Prohm is too laid back - LW needs serious improvement. a tougher, more demanding coach would serve him well.

(I love prohm for isu but maybe he and LW weren't best for each other).

Goofyguy1

Feb 18, 2017
He was the 6th man last year, was it still an injury issue or just not talented enough to start. If injury, it might get better, la k of talent best improved with sitting a year and a new coach. The latter might be best for him and definitely is for ISU basketball.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron