It's official: Tool is in the studio

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
This one really meant a lot to me. I've been a TOOL fan for 20+ years, and with twins coming in August, it's probably my last chance at catching them. Got to bring my brother as well who definitely does not know a single TOOL song, but loved every second of it. I had a really great time and it was probably one of the best TOOL shows I've caught.

Reactions: baller21

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Definitely one of the best live performances I’ve ever seen. The sound was amazing and the light show was pretty cool.

Did anyone else catch the opening band? What was up with the horse that looked straight out of a third grade play?

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
Did anyone else catch the opening band? What was up with the horse that looked straight out of a third grade play?

I kinda just assumed that was just some weirdness that Maynard came up with to make people say, "wtf?". Didn't seem there was any purpose to it. I almost felt bad for the opener when they fumbled out there for no apparent reason. It almost seemed maybe like light tour hazing of some sort, if that's even a thing.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I kinda just assumed that was just some weirdness that Maynard came up with to make people say, "wtf?". Didn't seem there was any purpose to it. I almost felt bad for the opener when they fumbled out there for no apparent reason. It almost seemed maybe like light tour hazing of some sort, if that's even a thing.

Ha! You may be right. Even funnier if it was Tool band members doing it.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
I guess I will be reliving the concert today
Yeah, I thought about doing that myself, and then I listened to the first minute of the first song in that Youtube video and changed my mind. It wasn't quite living up to the memory of how good I thought they sounded live, so I decided not to sully that memory. Not that the recording sounds terrible, just not quite how I remembered it. Particularly, Maynard's vocals.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Yeah, I thought about doing that myself, and then I listened to the first minute of the first song in that Youtube video and changed my mind. It wasn't quite living up to the memory of how good I thought they sounded live, so I decided not to sully that memory. Not that the recording sounds terrible, just not quite how I remembered it. Particularly, Maynard's vocals.

Yeah it sounded way better live than the video. I wish the video was actually a video of the concert and not just the songs with images.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Yeah it sounded way better live than the video. I wish the video was actually a video of the concert and not just the songs with images.
The "no photo/video recording" rule for the show made that pretty much impossible. There was a guy in the section next to where I was sitting who got pounced on by security within probably 10 seconds of pulling out his phone to record. He tried to convince them that he deleted the video, but they kicked him out anyway.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The "no photo/video recording" rule for the show made that pretty much impossible. There was a guy in the section next to where I was sitting who got pounced on by security within probably 10 seconds of pulling out his phone to record. He tried to convince them that he deleted the video, but they kicked him out anyway.

I know. I was thinking this video was posted by a professional (like a videographer with the band) and not a fan though.

• Friendly
Reactions: DeftOne

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Old guy rant: I hate that everything is streaming now. I love Tool and their album booklets were as interesting as the music - a freaking stereoscopic viewer for 10,000 Days, are you kidding me? And now I don't even own a CD player because everybody just wants to sell digital copy. I've loved all of their stuff, but now with the new album I feel like I'll miss out on something if i just download it.
I feel like they wrote a song about this...something something "...sold out long before you ever even heard my name..." something something.

I preordered the $45 physical copy...and have nothing to play it with. I'm glad they made the jump so a new generation of music lovers can discover TOOL.

Reactions: besserheimerphat