Haliburton
Jacobson
Young

6. Conditt
7. Lewis
8. Leech
9. Anderson
10. Griffin
I have no idea how the starting line-up will play out beyond Halliburton, Nixon, and Jacobson, but we have a # of nice, skilled, contributions-to-be-determined pieces. Every year, someone(s) steps up beyond what we'd have expected, and your guesses above seem to be at the average/low-end for each. I'm very impressed with all three of our HS recruits and their upsides, and Griffin and Lewis have skills, they just need to capitalize on them (and, Lewis needs to get "connected" on D). Then, there's Big George and his high upside... don't know which ones but looking forward to who jumps up and helps carry the load in a big way. Should be a fun season. No idea how far we might go, but the floor is much higher than for 2017-18.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I asked this in another thread and never got an answer, as of now who's playing the 3? I think Haliburton and Nixon play 1 & 2, Solo/Conditt and Jacobson will play 4 & 5.

One of Lewis, Griffin, Leech, Anderson or potential Grad Transfer. Really to early to say now, luckily Prohm has 6 months to figure that out.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I asked this in another thread and never got an answer, as of now who's playing the 3? I think Haliburton and Nixon play 1 & 2, Solo/Conditt and Jacobson will play 4 & 5.
If we don’t add anybody, I think it’ll be Haliburton with Jackson and Nixon being the 1 and 2. It could be Lewis or Leech though too.

• Informative
Reactions: IaState2021

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
True, but I wouldn't categorize Niang in the traditional big mold. There is no big on this team who has his ballhandling and shooting ability. It will be two true bigs, which is a very different way to play. I have seen Prohm liking some "horns" sets on twitter which is typically a two traditional big offensive set

True to a point as I see Anderson having those skills just not as polished, Jacobson has shown the ability to knock down some shots not at a great clip yet, but is not the ball handler and Young has most definitely been working on his shooting enough to make him a credible threat from outside, along with Conditt's high school tapes which shows him being able to shoot the ball. Now I agree none of them has the handles Niang did, but we do have some bigs capable of making longer shots at a good enough clip to force them to be guarded outside.

You also ignored that he did it with Lard and Young on the floor together.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If we can defend as a team like we did for stretches last year, I think we should hang around the middle of the Big XII. I'd feel better if we had a known scoring threat coming back in the backcourt, because I think we'll need to have someone that can give us 15+/game. I'm hoping Nixon or Jackson can do that but it's asking a lot. Nixon seems like the more likely option, but it's completely unknown.

Having a steady Haliburton with the known commodities of Jacobson, Conditt and Solo makes me think that we will be ok. Lewis or Griffin taking the next step would certainly help change some losses to wins, so I'm hoping they are putting in the work. I've been rooting for Lewis since he signed. I think there is untapped potential there.

There are currently a lot of unknowns, but I'm taking a positive outlook for now. I won't fault anyone for being a little negative, but I hope we can still root for whoever suits up in cardinal and gold. I don't expect any sunshine pumping, but playing the sky-is-falling game before we actually see how they play makes for a long off-season.

• Winner
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Figured instead of jumping back and forth in the recruits threads. We can discuss here.

I hope Zion takes the big jump. I am hoping he pulls a Naz. Injury slowed him his freshman season and his sophomore season he starts showing the signs of what we thought we were gettings.

I think Lewis will make a good 7th man off the bench. Not sure his skill set is capable of every being the man but we need a guy like him to knock down big shots. Hopefully he starts showing those signs this season.

To me Lewis looks like the type that needs time in the game to get a flow, and he'll struggle if he's pulled for one mistake or after hitting a couple of shots during a scoring stretch.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Everyone's expectations are way too low for Conditt.

This guy is a stud - he's going to be a major player for us in 19-20.

He's going to become a stretch 4 and bomb in 3's. Its going to be great.
I am excited for his defensive presence to improve too.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hard to take Lunardi seriously putting out stuff like this. Feels like every year he has us way overrated or way underrated in his preseason bracket.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

...a #5 seed...?

DelectableHandmadeArchaeocete-small.gif

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Just a LOT of unknowns in the backcourt. Leech, Nixon, Griffin, Jackson - will they be studs, duds, or just okay? Even Hali - can he be a top dog instead of just a great 3rd wheel?

MJ, Conditt, and Solo makes for a solid frontcourt. Won't lose games there, but not going to win games there either.

Anyone who says they know how it will turn out is just guessing and hoping to be right. My best guess is they will struggle to be .500 in conference. But if Leech or Nixon turns out to be a sensation, or LW comes back, it will be a different story.

Terrance J

May 10, 2019
I would be great with a 5 seed. That would mean possibly finish 3rd in Big12 and beat out the likes of K-State and Texas.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
As a few others have said and Prohm mentioned yesterday, I think Conditt is set up for a nice leap. We still haven't seen him shoot the 3, which we know he's capable of. I expect him to be in the starting lineup with Young coming off the bench. Our bigs really look solid if they can stay healthy.

Haliburton and Nixon should be steady and give us some chances for transition points with their defense. But there is a massive hole at the 3. Sounds like Prohm is counting on Griffin to be a stretch 4, so I don't think he starts. If it's Lewis, we're in trouble unless he gets the mental part of the game down. I don't see it.

Hopefully one of Grill/Jackson pops. I'm not expecting much from Leech or Anderson in the first year.

That leaves us with:

Haliburton
Nixon
Bolton?
Jacobson
Conditt

Lewis/Jackson/Grill/Leech
Young/Griffin/Anderson

If we get Bolton immediately eligible, we can be an NCAA team.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
As a few others have said and Prohm mentioned yesterday, I think Conditt is set up for a nice leap. We still haven't seen him shoot the 3, which we know he's capable of. I expect him to be in the starting lineup with Young coming off the bench. Our bigs really look solid if they can stay healthy.

Haliburton and Nixon should be steady and give us some chances for transition points with their defense. But there is a massive hole at the 3. Sounds like Prohm is counting on Griffin to be a stretch 4, so I don't think he starts. If it's Lewis, we're in trouble unless he gets the mental part of the game down. I don't see it.

Hopefully one of Grill/Jackson pops. I'm not expecting much from Leech or Anderson in the first year.

That leaves us with:

Haliburton
Nixon
Bolton?
Jacobson
Conditt

Lewis/Jackson/Grill/Leech
Young/Griffin/Anderson

If we get Bolton immediately eligible, we can be an NCAA team.
I'd be interested to see how they think Bolton would be eligible but there must be something there. I wouldn't count Leech out of the starting lineup. Dude has a pretty impressive offer list.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
D93B40C8-8EBA-4D89-B2A4-715E2AB3790E.png

From Bartorvik.

Thoughts Going from top to bottom
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Too high. Yes. Too Low. Yes.