Judge Approves Unusual Plan to Move 900 lb. Man

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
You'd think they could do something in his home for the trial instead of cutting a new entryway and all that work to get him to court

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Obligatory

giphy.gif

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
To protect his dignity, they may have to...

1. Cut a hole in the dwelling
2. Reinforce the structure
3. Remove some trees

Dude isn't going anywhere...he basically is under house arrest now. Bring the judge there be done with it. It's not like he can run away.

Reactions: RedBlooded

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
They have to bring in a tree clearing crew as part of getting this dude out of his dwelling? Amazing.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
How does a person get to 900 pounds?

One quote I always remember in these situations is "it takes work to get to that fat." It's not just eating too many ho-hos or over-indulging in fatty foods. You have to work hard to get to that point. That being said, there's some deep issues going on with these types of people. I'm always skeptical of the gastric bypass or other "mechanical" methods of getting people to lose weight. You're really just forcing them to make a change, but if you don't address the deeper issue, they will just stretch their stomach out again over time. I've seen it happen.

"My 600 lb Life" is a guilty pleasure of mine. Each of these people got to a point, somewhere around 250 lbs, where they hit a crossroads. They knew they were getting big and they could either make some changes to bring the weight down, or, say "F it." They chose the latter, and after that point, their weight wasn't something they paid attention to.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
If they have to do all this just to prosecute him, isn’t he basically already incarcerated? The sentence should just be house arrest and cut his cable for the balance of the sentence.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
To protect his dignity, they may have to...

1. Cut a hole in the dwelling
2. Reinforce the structure
3. Remove some trees

Dude isn't going anywhere...he basically is under house arrest now. Bring the judge there be done with it. It's not like he can run away.

There will likely be a forklift involved at some point, as well. I believe there was a case several years ago where a very big person died in their house. The fire dept had to cut holes in the house and get a fork lift under the bed to get the body out.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Think how much it would cost to give him the death penalty via lethal injection. Woof.

Or just give him a doughnut laced with something?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
One quote I always remember in these situations is "it takes work to get to that fat." It's not just eating too many ho-hos or over-indulging in fatty foods. You have to work hard to get to that point. That being said, there's some deep issues going on with these types of people. I'm always skeptical of the gastric bypass or other "mechanical" methods of getting people to lose weight. You're really just forcing them to make a change, but if you don't address the deeper issue, they will just stretch their stomach out again over time. I've seen it happen.

"My 600 lb Life" is a guilty pleasure of mine. Each of these people got to a point, somewhere around 250 lbs, where they hit a crossroads. They knew they were getting big and they could either make some changes to bring the weight down, or, say "F it." They chose the latter, and after that point, their weight wasn't something they paid attention to.

I think it's similar to other addictive behaviors like hoarding etc. where there's other things going on that are much deeper than just being needy or careless. A hoarder can clean things out of their place to get rid of the clutter, but soon it all comes back because what caused the 'need' for stuff didn't get resolved.

Per the gastric bypass, etc., I'm in the same vein for juice diets etc. Habits have to be broken, and good ones need to be established for positive long term effects. It's easy to get impatient, but personally I find it way more rewarding to get back to a healthy weight or work to heal back issues with PT over time than a quick fix like just getting adjusted every 3 weeks.

I'm reading some stuff currently about how important it is for people to hold themselves responsible to help themselves and diet, finances etc. are prime examples. It's tricky--the solutions can be really simple (want to save money? Don't spend money on useless stuff.), but can also be really complicated to work through.