Survivor: Edge of Extinction

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If the final three ends up being Lauren, Julie, and Victoria then that will be a resounding *thud* ending to an otherwise pretty entertaining season.

Victoria hasn't had a great edit, but damn she's played a good game if you look at her voting record and how she's been in the "know". She hasn't had to win challenges to ensure safety either.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I agree Devens will basically have to win out like Ben to have a shot at winning this season but I don't quite agree with "but he's clueless in a lot of aspects. " The last 2 votes he's been a big reason why Ron and Aurora got sent home. He basically laid out a case for those left why they should vote with him else they might be the ones going home. No one knew he had the immunity idol when Ron went home but he placed enough doubt in people's mind that if they don't vote for someone else besides him it would only take his vote to send them home. Then last week while the edits may not have shown us the whole story he made the case why to keep Julia around and floated the idea he could save her with an idol and their 2 votes could send you home. I think smart players 1. would not care and call his bluff because at this point of the game if you want to win and you have an idol you are stupid to waste it on anyone but yourself when you are this close and 2. smart players should be keeping Julie around at this point regardless because she is no threat to win the game. He's probably influenced a few other tribal votes too by planting some seeds of doubts so I think he very much would win this season in a landslide if he makes it to the end.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Devens is the only one deserving, and he was voted out. Extinction island has been a flop, and I do not think survivor has ever had a flop in the past.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Devens is the only one deserving, and he was voted out. Extinction island has been a flop, and I do not think survivor has ever had a flop in the past.

Then again he might be the least deserving since he was already voted out.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I have very low expectations for Island of the Idols

I am a little confused by it. If the mentors are just there to mentor and not to play, what exactly is the point of them being there? Like will they have some influence on the game, like will they have a vote at tribal council? Also I am thinking the mentors will win a prize if their mentee wins.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Next season looks ******* stupid. Enough with the 'celebrity' Survivor stars already. Why not just bring Susan Hawk back? Dumb. The gameplay has advanced so far beyond these dinosaurs. Wish they'd just bring a completely new batch of players and leave the regurgitated players in the back. They've had their turn.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Just finished watching the finale on DVR and heading for bed but I have to say the way things played out was quite entertaining. I think the jury got it right too. Will post more thoughts in the morning.

And I agree, the previews for next season dont excite me much. I'm guessing that season 40 next spring will be an All Stars season most likely.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Just finished the reunion show...had to start really late because of Wednesday commitments.

On the plus side, Chris was my pick to win in the pool I have with Lew, and it was really annoying that he was the third person voted out. So I won our pool. Yay?

Really wanted Devins to win, and thought he really deserved it. However, that move by Chris to give up the immunity and "earn" his place in the final three was really the only way he could sway the jury...if he had not done that I think Rick would have beat him.

And yes, I also think that next season looks lame.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Devins is the best player to play in quite some time. I really am bummed he didn't even make the finale. I could have cared less who won once he was gone.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Alright, some more in depth thoughts about the finale...

Chris played it perfectly coming back from extinction and deserved to win. Not many people give up immunity - especially at the final 4 of all places - and survive to tell about it. Beating Devins in the fire making challenge won it for him. I get Gavin's point of how Chris was at extinction for nearly a month while he was still in the game making moves and decisions and that was a valid point but also how dumb of it was for everyone to not just vote him out immediately when he got back too. You can't have it both ways, you gave him that small window of opportunity by letting him stay in the game and he took full advantage of it.

Devins goes down as one of the best players to not have won. Was pretty obvious the jury would have voted for him had he made it to the final 3. Wouldn't be surprised if they bring him back for another season at some point. I'm assuming Season 40 could be an All Stars season since season 34 was the last one that was all returning players and it's a landmark anniversary for the show too. Would be cool to see no returning winners on the cast and maybe focus on just bringing back only runner-ups. Would be an interesting plot to have entirely people that made it to the end but never won the jury votes. People like Culpepper - both Brad and Monica made it to the final 3 actually, Aubry, Tai, Troyzan, Woo, Amanda Kimmel, Ozzy, Stephenie, Russell Hantz (doubtful he ever plays again) all come to mind then maybe to fill out the rest you pick some players that just missed the final 3 like a Devins, "chaos" Kass, David, etc. I'd have to dig through the seasons more but surely they could put together a pretty good cast of just people that made it very deep into the game but never won. Or maybe just do an "all winners" cast too but my guess out of the pool of 39 winners just how many of them really want to play again.

Really don't know what to think about next season with how they plan to use Rob and Sandra. Seems like that could be a flop but then again maybe since they are calling it Island of the Idols there maybe is a new twist that actually going to their island is an advantage because you can not only talk strategy with 2 former winners but maybe while out there you get a chance to find an immunity idol too? If you think about it if you go there and people know you could come back with an advantage it also could put a target on you too since you are away from camp and the strategy going on while you are gone so maybe that is the twist to it too? Will be interesting to see but the preview didn't reveal much about how that is going to work.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Rob and Sandra will stir up a lot of **** and likely manipulate the game for the eventual winner. Unnecessary. Lets not ruin a good thing Survivor, you're over thinking it. Spend more time developing new challenges.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Devins is the one who will be remembered the most for this season and will go down as one of the best players not to win. After he was eliminated, I really didn't care who won but I thought Gavin might have deserved it a little more. Chris had the advantage of making a ton of friends on exile and I think that is what put him over the top.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron