Cyclones set on adding immediate impact guard with final roster spot

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
It'd be nice to take Bolton and LW back, then cut bait with one of the end of the bench guys.
giphy.gif

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
It would be great if Lindell came back if he isn’t going to get drafted. I’m not sure I buy it but it would be the best thing for him and us.

But he’d have to be committed to winning and the team.
I think it is going be very hard for him to come back unless he has a guarantee from Prohm. Prohm doesn't seem like a coach that will promise anything regarding playing time.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
That is my only concern. I would definitely take him back if he decided, I would just be worried he'd be out there for him rather than the team.
I don't see this as an issue based on last year's play - his role off the bench was to come in and score - hence, the tons of pick&roll. And, he did look to pass at times, he was just very careless in doing so. Sure, he dribbled himself into t/o's at times, but he wasn't at the top of our "hero ball" list. If he comes back, he'll be having to prove he can play point, and, while he'll certainly be a main scoring option, he'll have to toss out assists too to prove he can be a potential pro point, as well as for us to win, which would be big for his pro prospects as well. It'd fit together well for us. Would love for him to be back - no idea if it's much of a possibility.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That is my only concern. I would definitely take him back if he decided, I would just be worried he'd be out there for him rather than the team.

Then Prohm will bench him and there will be a thread after every game about why we are sitting someone so good. (like there is every yr)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
LW is just in a really tough spot right now. He didn't improve his game much this year, so to most scouts he's a known commodity.

Given he's not even a top 100 guy right now, even getting a G league slot could be tough.

Selfishly, our team is set up just perfect for him. We have bigs and complementary pieces and he could be the go-to scorer. Can Prohm get him to be a better defender? Can he improve his decision making, even if its only a few possessions as a PG?

Right now, LW is just not good enough to be a pro. He needs to improve. The question is just where he wants to make that improvement....

LW has to be at a point now where these two paths...

-- going overseas and trying to kill it there to a point an NBA team brings him back over and takes a chance on him, like what happened with Deonte Burton

-- staying at Iowa State, doubling down on his game and working on the aspects... PG skills and defense... that he lacks right now, coming one year closer to graduation (if one is to think about a life beyond basketball, if only a little), and leading the team

...probably have about equal chance of having him end up in the NBA.

If LW turns into apex LW in the next six-months, he has a legitimate shot to score 20+ PPG, lead the Big 12 in scoring and end up as first-team all-conference or even CPOTY, and he really could have an All-American level season. The supporting cast is there for him. He drops into the lineup as the alpha scorer the roster needs right now. Carsen Edwards from Purdue is a great example for the type of impact he could have nationally if he comes back.

All that plus a deep tournament run, and he would turn some heads.

He is not in a great situation right now. He has two paths to improve it, though both have their risks. He is only getting older. I hope he makes the better choice.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't see this as an issue based on last year's play - his role off the bench was to come in and score - hence, the tons of pick&roll. And, he did look to pass at times, he was just very careless in doing so. Sure, he dribbled himself into t/o's at times, but he wasn't at the top of our "hero ball" list. If he comes back, he'll be having to prove he can play point, and, while he'll certainly be a main scoring option, he'll have to toss out assists too to prove he can be a potential pro point, as well as for us to win, which would be big for his pro prospects as well. It'd fit together well for us. Would love for him to be back - no idea if it's much of a possibility.

This is what I wouldn't want from LW. I cringe thinking about him forcing the idea that he's a PG just to raise his NBA stock. He's really struggled with that, he was great in iso situations last year but was really bad in the pick and roll. I want the same Lindell we had last year in a starting role and a constant green light,that's how he's best, thats what this years team needs.