Fighting Burrito in Ames Closing

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This is correct. The El Gordo burrito was an absolute treasure! Panchero's is a shell of what it used to be and it still blows the doors off the likes of Fighting Burrito, Qdoba, & Chipotle.
Was Minsky's in the basement?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
After FB's move from Lincoln Way to Welch, it seemed to go downhill -- poorer quality, smaller portions, and higher prices. Surprised it held on this long.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I wish when I was in college, I went to Mr. Burrito more often.

I haven't been in campustown in a while, but I think it'd be great if a fast food restaurant opened up that served burgers, chicken sandwiches, etc.
Used to have both a Burger King (on Lincoln Way) and a McDonald's (on Welch, by Hunt St)

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
Usually ended my nights out with a drunken Jack Trice back at the apartment.

*Jack Trice being the name of my favorite burrito of course

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
And a Hardees across from that Micky Ds. There was a quick stint of a Maid Rite on Lincoln.
Dang - forgot about the Hardee's - I only remember the one where Panera Bread is now, and the one up at the mall (I worked there briefly for extra income during my single parent days).

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Dang - forgot about the Hardee's - I only remember the one where Panera Bread is now, and the one up at the mall (I worked there briefly for extra income during my single parent days).
The Panera one was open 24-7. Came in handy a couple times.

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The good, "pre-corporate" Pancheros. Long live the El Gordo Challenge.

That was back when the Panchero's on Welch and the one in the Iowa City ped mall were the entire franchise. It was legit way better than what they are serving up now.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
After FB's move from Lincoln Way to Welch, it seemed to go downhill -- poorer quality, smaller portions, and higher prices. Surprised it held on this long.

I feel like it happened before that. Its first couple years were great, but itd gone downhill by the time i left ames in 08.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

I only ever knew it being on Lincoln Way, but it was indeed awesome. I think that partially stemmed from the employees being high and giving all sorts of extras for free, but hey, it kept me coming back!

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It is hard to believe that they had to change the name after all those years. Anyone know the real story?