***Official 2018-19 Transfer Thread***

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
No offense, but your sources have proven to be wrong many times on here. I highly doubt this has an impact on Tucker. Those two will never play a minute together. We need a scorer on this upcoming team. Bolton is not that.

Ya this dude is hit or miss. He did call the Bolton news before anyone else had it earlier this week and the Moss interest but his track record is like 50/50

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
No offense, but your sources have proven to be wrong many times on here. I highly doubt this has an impact on Tucker. Those two will never play a minute together. We need a scorer on this upcoming team. Bolton is not that.
It's not about playing together. It's about # of scholarships. They can't sign Grill, Johnson, Bolton, and Tucker. Staff felt they're out on Tucker, so use that scholarship on Johnson. If they felt confident about Tucker and Bolton, then Johnson wouldn't have the open offer.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
It's not about playing together. It's about # of scholarships. They can't sign Grill, Johnson, Bolton, and Tucker. Staff felt they're out on Tucker, so use that scholarship on Johnson. If they felt confident about Tucker and Bolton, then Johnson wouldn't have the open offer.
Or they felt Johnson was the better prospect? Bolton is a short guard, with imo, has limited potential. His stats show poor decision making, I know he is young, but that is detrimental in having a point guard. Johnson has a lot of athleticism and great size. There is a ton of potential with him and a year sitting out will do him wonders. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think this is better than Bolton.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Or they felt Johnson was the better prospect? Bolton is a short guard, with imo, has limited potential. His stats show poor decision making, I know he is young, but that is detrimental in having a point guard. Johnson has a lot of athleticism and great size. There is a ton of potential with him and a year sitting out will do him wonders. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think this is better than Bolton.

You could make a list of positives and negatives for each target. You bring up valid points and opinion but one thing that can’t be undervalued is Bolton’s production against high major opponents

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
If we round out this class with Bolton I’ll name my first born son Steve. Hopefully what we’re hearing on Tucker is he’s going to go pro. I’d hate for him to go to KU and torch us next year.

Reactions: isutrevman

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
You could make a list of positives and negatives for each target. You bring up valid points and opinion but one thing that can’t be undervalued is Bolton’s production against high major opponents
I value potential a lot. Especially when you have a year to work on your game without the distractions of worrying about stats. That's the big reason why I prefer Johnson. I believe Bolton is the safer pick, but I like the idea of this team having the pieces they need minus a primary scoring threat. If Nixon is that, this upcoming season we will be fine. I have high expectations for Lewis this year. When we recruited him, I didn't think he'd be ready til a junior.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Possible. It has seemed to me from the beginning that the staff was confident that they could get Johnson. So them going after Bolton tells me they either liked him more, or at least wanted to inquire more, or they knew they needed another option, knowing they were unlikely to land Tucker.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I value potential a lot. Especially when you have a year to work on your game without the distractions of worrying about stats. That's the big reason why I prefer Johnson. I believe Bolton is the safer pick, but I like the idea of this team having the pieces they need minus a primary scoring threat. If Nixon is that, this upcoming season we will be fine. I have high expectations for Lewis this year. When we recruited him, I didn't think he'd be ready til a junior.

I know there’s a lot of smoke to Bolton being immediately eligible and ISU would obviously take that but if he sits out that could be huge for his long term development.

IMO, there’s less risk with a high major transfer than a mid/low major kid. We’ve seen more than a few low/mid major kids end up as flops at ISU and other schools, i feel like it’s less common to see a high major - high major kid end up a bust.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I know there’s a lot of smoke to Bolton being immediately eligible and ISU would obviously take that but if he sits out that could be huge for his long term development.

IMO, there’s less risk with a high major transfer than a mid/low major kid. We’ve seen more than a few low/mid major kids end up as flops at ISU and other schools, i feel like it’s less common to see a high major - high major kid end up a bust.
I agree, Bolton could add a lot as a sit out and as I said, is safer. But the the famous Peter Griffin said...

Reactions: Messi

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

He's had some good info. What people don't get is that there is nothing 100% certain, even if it's coming straight from the coaches. These situations are fluid, and things change.

It has nothing to do with not wanting to play together.

It's lining up just means that the coaches know we're not getting Bolton AND Tucker.

That would be option #1 because Bolton is like a sit out in that he has multiple years, but could get a waiver and help immediately.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
He's had some good info. What people don't get is that there is nothing 100% certain, even if it's coming straight from the coaches. These situations are fluid, and things change.

It has nothing to do with not wanting to play together.

It's lining up just means that the coaches know we're not getting Bolton AND Tucker.

That would be option #1 because Bolton is like a sit out in that he has multiple years, but could get a waiver and help immediately.
Basketball is a year to year game anymore. We need a scoring wing, not a point guard for this upcoming year. That is what we are missing. Nixon will cover us as that small guard. Tucker could be the difference next year between people calling for Prohm to be fired versus a deep NCAA run. I do not believe Bolton adds that to Iowa State.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Basketball is a year to year game anymore. We need a scoring wing, not a point guard for this upcoming year. That is what we are missing. Nixon will cover us as that small guard. Tucker could be the difference next year between people calling for Prohm to be fired versus a deep NCAA run. I do not believe Bolton adds that to Iowa State.
There's never been a debate about taking Tucker. He's an obvious yes. But if the staff feels they're out, then you move on, like taking Johnson, and still going after Bolton.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Well everything he says makes perfect sense and it’s what me and a lot of other fans assumed before even reading his post.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
There's never been a debate about taking Tucker. He's an obvious yes. But if the staff feels they're out, then you move on, like taking Johnson, and still going after Bolton.
I'd rather see them pursue Moss, but that's just me. I won't complain about anyone we get though. It's nice having a full roster.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Well everything he says makes perfect sense and it’s what me and a lot of other fans assumed before even reading his post.
Don't get me wrong, he will probably end up at Auburn, but we are the best fit for needs with Tucker.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

A scoring wing would seem like a critical need for the 2019/20 team. The obvious approach is signing Tucker or emergence of Lewis or Griffin. However, I think we will have a strong 2019/20 team even if we miss out on Tucker and Lewis/Griffin don't develop.

The major need for a Tucker, Lewis or Griffin type player is having a defender to match up against opponent taller wings. That's why Halliburton is such a unique talent. With his wing span he could be our primary ball handler on offense, but guard taller wings on defense.

A guard/wing group of Halliburton, Nixon, Jackson, Grill, Leech, Lewis and Griffin could be very solid from a scoring standpoint.

Bolton would seem to be a natural 2020/21 roster replacement for Nixon.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

I know they would love Tucker, but Tucker may not be an option any more. And I'll trust Prohm to know what he needs the most for next year.

Nixon can probably play some GC but he's not going to be a 30 mpg PG. He and Haliburton can easily slide to the 2 other guard spots with Bolton.

• Useful
Reactions: Joel1

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I know they would love Tucker, but Tucker may not be an option any more. And I'll trust Prohm to know what he needs the most for next year.

Nixon can probably play some GC but he's not going to be a 30 mpg PG. He and Haliburton can easily slide to the 2 other guard spots with Bolton.
I will bet Nixon will be our primary pg next year. Prohm has shown he likes aggressive pg who can score. Haliburton has a long ways to go before he is that.