Friday OT #1 - Three and Three

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so much to @cyclones500 for always coming to my rescue with great, topical thread ideas! This one is with Mother's Day in mind (note to all CF dudes - get your mom or wife something).

Among your common personality/life outlook traits, which did your absorb from your mother and which from your dad? List 3 you think you picked up from your mom and which 3 from your dad.

So, for me:

Mom:
  • hyper-organization of schedule and work
  • a bit of a worrier
  • fairly Type A overall - need to get projects done thoroughly and on-time

Dad:
  • pretty healthy dose of sarcasm
  • strong sense of commitment to finish something I start
  • involvement in community organizations
Wow, that was harder than I thought! What do you have?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
From Mom:
Love of flowers and gardening
Like to slam things (like car doors and drawers) when I'm pissed
Good grooming

From Dad:
OCPD (place for everything, everything in it's place)
Never lost an argument (at least in my mind)
Love of outdoors and respect for nature

BTW great thread topic! Introspection is healthy, just ask Socrates.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hhhmmmm......This might be a little different than most. EDIT: I thought a little more to make it more common.

Mom:

1) Decisiveness, She can't and won't make a decision and it absolutely infuriated me so I'm overly decisive.

2) Being cheap, she was raised in the great depression and always thinks its coming back

3) Emotionless, both my mom and dad showed no emotion for anything, I know I am cold-hearted compared to most

Dad:

1) See number three for mom

2) Efficiency, I can see bottle-necks and issues with things that people never see upon first examination. Many times people think everything I've done is easy just because I can systematically approach everything. Last job I had, my replacement had a nervous breakdown and he was only handed 2/3rds of the job I did.

3) Individuality, I have no problem being on my own for long periods of time and having no personal interaction.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
3) Individuality, I have no problem being on my own for long periods of time and having no personal interaction.

I have this trait, too, but I don't attach it specifically to either parent. Mom, Dad, me and my sisters are comfortable with low level of interaction (and value alone-time), but not to the extreme of isolation (there's a balance). Probably more a result of family's life structure.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Thanks so much to @cyclones500 for always coming to my rescue with great, topical thread ideas! This one is with Mother's Day in mind (note to all CF dudes - get your mom or wife something).

Among your common personality/life outlook traits, which did your absorb from your mother and which from your dad? List 3 you think you picked up from your mom and which 3 from your dad.

So, for me:

Mom:
  • hyper-organization of schedule and work
  • a bit of a worrier
  • fairly Type A overall - need to get projects done thoroughly and on-time

Dad:
  • pretty healthy dose of sarcasm
  • strong sense of commitment to finish something I start
  • involvement in community organizations
Wow, that was harder than I thought! What do you have?

Mom:

* peacekeeper
* staying in touch with family
* depression when things don’t go your way

Dad:

* humor
* loyalty
* friendliness

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not much as I don't think I am much like my parental unit.

Dad:
1. Bad shoulders. I know what my dad was talking about when he retired now. Mine have hurt so bad the last week I can't sleep at night.
2. Maybe his ability to BS and waste time. I called it team building when I got older. :rolleyes:
3. How to break things by over tightening them. I have worked on it and mostly overcome this.

Mom:
1. Hair and eyes. I am pushing 70 and hair is still not gray.
2. ?
3. ?

Both: Hopefully not their history of strokes. :oops:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Daddy:
Love of wide open spaces and dislike of large cities & crowds
An opinion on EVERYTHING
Stubborn as all get out

Mama:
Love of singing and most music styles
Service-oriented (being Martha more than Mary)
Sense of humor

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Mom
1-Compassion
2-Importance of Family
3-Attention to Detail

Dad
1-Love of Music
2-Sense of Humor
3-Perspective/Calm

Both semi-retired now but mom was an author/program developer for services for those with Traumatic Brain Injuries and dad was a professional musician turned medical equipment salesman. I'll never quite figure out how they found each other and have stayed together for 40 years.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Hmmmmmmm. This is interesting to think about because there's a lot of things I would hope that I'm actually the opposite on.

Mom:
1. A need for planning things out/attention to detail
2. Love of history
3. Need to vent/rehash things

Dad:
1. Stubbornness
2. Genetic predisposition for low BP
3. Balloon-popping mentality. IE, someone brings up an idea and we find all the holes in it first.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I am pretty much my dad so any similarities between my mom and my dad could have also come from my mom.

giphy.gif

You saying your parents are related?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
As @Angie said in her intro, this exercise is more difficult than I expected. Condensing the list to 3 each is a challenge.

From Mom:
1. Lover of arts and creative endeavors (music, writing, academia, history, archiving)
2. Worry-wort/tendency to self-evaluate. sometimes to a fault
3. Accommodating, driven to “please.”
Runner-up: Values the happy-hour beer (I’ve honed that trait a little too well :)).

From Dad:
1. Sense of humor, wit
2. Focused on task-at-hand (from necessity), but more of a broad-picture outlook
3. Reliable/loyal/trusting
Runner-up: Thirst for knowledge

Some of my traits are a merger/overlap of Mom and Dad, so I couldn’t put them into one bucket or the other. Also, each has positives that, so far, I haven't absorbed.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Mom:
- Multi-tasking while keeping a cool head ; she raised 8 kids and rarely raised her voice
- optimism without complaining ; she is the quintessential tough German woman. Broken arm/arm fell off? No biggie, I have another one. Someone out there always has it worse than her
- holding her tongue when angry; this is good and bad. We rarely lash out without thinking, but we bottle up stuff at an unhealthy rate some days

Dad:
- Sense of humor; "Any day I can laugh and make someone else laugh is a good day". It's a helluva way to approach life
- respect; don't interrupt people while talking, hold doors for others, help someone if you're able to
- emotions; I never realized how much I was like my dad until I got older. The same things that make him mad, happy, sad and frustrated have the same effect on me.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
This is a tough one to think about - both of my parents died last year and I'm definitely still grieving.

Mom:
-stubbornness
-intensity
-orneriness

Dad:
-hard work
-love for music
-loyalty

Honorable mention: my grandfather (Mom's dad) also passed away last year. Directly from him is where have my love for the great outdoors and exploration.