Five Guys Coming to Ames

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Okay, I just looked at the menu. Maybe I had fries. Burger, fries, shake, $19. No, thank you.

And the fries sucked, now that I think about it.

Did they not display the prices on the menu at that location? Did the cashier twist your arm into buying a $5 shake? I don't understand why people are complaining about how much they spent.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
A quick meal...fast food? $19 is pretty steep for a drive-thru meal!

If you are getting out of your car, and sitting down, then you shouldn't expect to pay 9.99 for a meal. While 5 guys is "fast food" technically, its more fast casual, which comes with a little bit more expectations, thus price.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Shyzkoff

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
If you are getting out of your car, and sitting down, then you shouldn't expect to pay 9.99 for a meal. While 5 guys is "fast food" technically, its more fast casual, which comes with a little bit more expectations, thus price.

I get that...so I guess it depends upon what you are comparing the experience to, right? Compare it to McD's or Chik-fil-a...or compare it to BWW's or Chi-Chi's? Or something better? In my mind I just see Five Guys fitting closer to the fast food type experience...just has always been there for me for some reason.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I get that...so I guess it depends upon what you are comparing the experience to, right? Compare it to McD's or Chik-fil-a...or compare it to BWW's or Chi-Chi's? Or something better? In my mind I just see Five Guys fitting closer to the fast food type experience...just has always been there for me for some reason.

Lol Chi Chi's

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I kind of see this since you order at a counter and pick up your food at the counter. It's probably more similar to Chipotle. For comparison's sake, what would a burrito, chips with queso and a drink cost at Chipotle? Throw in a couple of extra bucks because it's a shake instead of a soft drink and it's probably pretty similar.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Yeah...I could not think of "Carlos O'Kelly's" when I was posting...that is what I was trying to come up with...is Chi Chi's still even a restaurant?

I think they've been gone for about 15 years. Seems people got sick, and a few died, at their restaurants.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I do agree elsewhere, west Ames needs more options. I think if they put a Target out there it would do really well and probably attract a few more things. I live in Boone and know tons of people that drive to Ames for Target. They'd just hit on the west side one if that was an option.
Target would lose its ass in West Ames. Find me a town the size of Ames with 2 Targets.

The Duff store does ok but not as well as they'd like it to since it's not a Super Target. Take people out of that store and suddenly it doesn't make money while you'd have a money pit in a West Ames Target.

Before someone tries to say "Well, Walmart has 2 stores!"....Walmart has a much larger segment of the population they're after and they beat Target in the place it matters the most in a college town....price. That isn't to say no college students shop at Target (false), but most students are going to gravitate to the lowest price (Walmart).

Last edited:

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I think they've been gone for about 15 years. Seems people got sick, and a few died, at their restaurants.

Woah...no way! In the 90s we used to go to the one in Cedar Rapids to watch MNF and drink! We always had fun in the bar area...made for some tough Tuesday mornings in the fall though!

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER

More like Chipotle/Hu Hot/Pizzeria Locale/Jasons Deli

Reactions: cyfanatic

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Woah...no way! In the 90s we used to go to the one in Cedar Rapids to watch MNF and drink! We always had fun in the bar area...made for some tough Tuesday mornings in the fall though!

Believe me my family went there all of the time when I was growing up. I looked it up and it will be 15 years this fall.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Fell on some hard times I guess you could put it. Per the internet:

"In November 2003, a month after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, Chi-Chi's was hit with the largest hepatitis A outbreak in U.S. history, with at least four deaths and 660 other victims of illness in the Pittsburgh area,[8] including high school students who caught the disease from the original victims.[9] The hepatitis was traced back to green onions at the Chi-Chi's at Beaver Valley Mall near Monaca, Pennsylvania, about 30 miles (48 km) northwest of Pittsburgh.[10] Chi-Chi's settled the hepatitis A lawsuits by
July 2004.[11] At the time the suits were settled, Chi-Chi's had only 65 restaurants, fewer than half of the number of four years prior."

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Target would lose its ass in West Ames. Find me a town the size of Ames with 2 Targets.

The Duff store does ok but not as well as they'd like it to since it's not a Super Target. Take people out of that store and suddenly it doesn't make money while you'd have a money pit in a West Ames Target.

Before someone tries to say "Well, Walmart has 2 stores!"....Walmart has a much larger segment of the population they're after and they beat Target in the place it matters the most in a college town....price. That isn't to say no college students shop at Target (false), but most students are going to gravitate to the lowest price (Walmart).

When I was in Ames everyone I knew shopped at target and couldn't stand Walmart. Even now the new Walmart is a dingy, dark, cold place.