Ames Menards set to open spring 2019

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
As a Beaverdale resident, I'm really hoping this takes some of the pressure off of the **** show that is Clive Menards. I don't think I've ever been to that store when the parking lot isn't 90% full.
Agree. A lot of times I'll wait until after 8pm to go... it's usually much quieter.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
Munn's is screwed.

I think Munn's will be fine. Their competition is Beisser and Gilchrist and they've been around for decades. Munn's will continue to supply to builders all over the area. The whole project that I'm on in the East Village has been supplied by Munn's. They service more than just Ames.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
So Ames needs a Lowe's, Menards, Theisens, and Fleet Farm. But has no furniture store and one department store.

I'd love to see the market analysis by the home improvement stores.

Redeker's is just west of town now on hwy 30, a lot of Ames/Story county residents shop there. Home Improvement stores seem to be immune to the brick and mortar retail struggle so far as most people want to see the material in person or it is really heavy/expensive to purchase and ship online. I would like a furniture store in Ames, but have purchased several items from Redekers's and like that store so it's not a big deal to me.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Still love Ace Hardware in North Ames for the little one off nut or bolt you need. Place gets a lot of business. Plus it's about a couple of blocks away from me. Friday's are caramel corn days to. I have actually found prices on things competitive with Lowe's and Walmart on garden items.

I still shop the Ace and True Value stores when I need 1 off nuts and bolts as the big box stores don't always sell them and when you only need 1 or 2 you don't want to be forced into buying a whole damn box that will just collect dust in your garage. Problem is for other items those stores seems to be over-priced on when it comes to tools and lawn and garden stuff. I'll go to Wal-Mart or a big box home improvement store and buy the exact same thing or similar for quite a bit less. Hell anymore no matter what I shop for if I don't need it right away I pull out my phone and search for it quick and if I find the same item on Amazon or somewhere else online will just order it to ship to my door and save a few bucks.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Hell anymore no matter what I shop for if I don't need it right away I pull out my phone and search for it quick and if I find the same item on Amazon or somewhere else online will just order it to ship to my door and save a few bucks.

So this is both right and wrong. Individually we all should save money. Collectively this kills our towns.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
So this is both right and wrong. Individually we all should save money. Collectively this kills our towns.

I agree but bottom line is if I can save money on a purchase I am going to buy at the best price I can find. It's not worth it to me to pay more for the same product just because the smaller local store stocks it. Going to leave it at that too because that topic can get political pretty quickly if you break it down more.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Tip for those who have not shopped at Menards before. If you are buying lumber make sure to load it yourself. They have serious quality issues and the kids working in the yard will load up a 2X4 that looks like a horseshoe and not think twice. Heck, most of them don't think once.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Anyone know when grimes menards will open?

I'm pretty sure it has already opened. I was in the Clive Menards last week and the ceiling fan I wanted to buy was out of stock at all of the metro stores. Ames had 17 OH and the sales associate suggested that as an option.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
Anyone know when grimes menards will open?
I'm pretty sure it has already opened. I was in the Clive Menards last week and the ceiling fan I wanted to buy was out of stock at all of the metro stores. Ames had 17 OH and the sales associate suggested that as an option.

He was talking about the Grimes one not Ames. Grimes has not opened yet. Ames is open.